Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM
vBench

StuG recovery!

Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it on ML or such, here's a link to photos of a StuG IV being recovered! Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.eksploracja.eu/forum/view...?p=23245#23245
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2006, 02:33 PM
vBench

That's really cool Maybe one day some one will dig up a Tiger II !

That's one big extraction job.

Are the photos of the restored Stug on page 2 of the same vehicle? I hope it is and that they didn't leave to rust in the open air.

Thanks for the link Evan

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Very cool,

that's one big job.

Thanks for the post Evan!

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2006, 02:11 AM
vBench

I'm not really sure about the vehicle on the second page. There's a few pics of a nicely restored StuG III there,and that one pic of a IV sitting out in the open. As far as I know, this thing is still being recovered from all that mud. Anyone speak Polish? I'm really curious to know more myself, like how the hell it got buried in there. I wonder what the condition of the interior will be?

Last edited by Evan August; 10-07-2006 at 02:13 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2006, 04:02 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan August View Post
I'm not really sure about the vehicle on the second page. There's a few pics of a nicely restored StuG III there,and that one pic of a IV sitting out in the open. As far as I know, this thing is still being recovered from all that mud. Anyone speak Polish? I'm really curious to know more myself, like how the hell it got buried in there. I wonder what the condition of the interior will be?
I can't speak Polish, but as far as i know it was under water. There is lots of stuff coming from the east these days, who knows what will be next....
Check this site as well: http://www.detektorweb.cz/ it has lots of hidden treasures, including a stug III and T-34 tanks
I would love to dig something like that from my backyard
Jan

Last edited by Jan Peters; 10-07-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 AM
vBench

I checked the date of posting and it says 1st October 2006. So it's probably still getting extracted.

Looks like it is lodged firmly in thick mud and they are having problems pulling it out. In one of the photos you can see that they are using a oxy torch to cut away the superstructure roof (?). Seems that the Stug is not that keen to come out after all these years

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM

Hi!
I and my team in 28- 30 August (phase I) and 28 September - 1 October (phase
II) 2006 recover from small river Rgilewka in Grzegorzew near Kolo (in mid western Poland) wreck an assault gun Sturmgeschütz IV /StuG IV/ (Sd.Kfz.167 – Sonderkraftfahrzeug 167).
We find this wreck at the end of February 2006. In phase I we excavate only a wheel and some minor parts. In phase II we recover damaged turret (superstructure) with the gun.
It's StuG IV (late version produced by Krupp) with "Saukopf" (pig head) gun mantlet,
without antimagnetic cement or Zimmerit.
We find too: 1 machine gun (MG 34 with ammunition), 3 panzerfaust, 2 missiles (to the 75 mm guns) and 1 helmet.
Our StuG IV we delivery to the Museum of Armour in Poznan.

Link to the StuG IV reconstruction - wreck from small village Grzegorzew (Rgilewka river, Poland) -
(photos):
http://www.dws.org.pl/viewtopic.php?t=16548.

Best regards
Piotr Lewandowski

Last edited by wars98; 03-05-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
vBench

Piotr

Thanks for sharing the link and great work on the restoration The pictures are very useful.

Has the full vehicle been excavated yet? Do you have photos of the turret and gun?

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 AM

Hi!
Lawrence. Thx!
Chassis of our's StuG still in the river, waiting for the summer, when we again starting excavation works.

I shared photos of the turret (superstructure) and gun as soon as possible.

Regards
Piotr
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 AM
vBench

Piotr

Looking forward to see those pics. Interested to find out about the paint scheme it had on as well.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top