Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 AM
vBench

Nice going Ian,

Since this is becoming THE BR52 build, I hope you don't mind if I post these links here of walkarounds

268 photos on Prime Portal
http://www.primeportal.net/transport...br_52_home.htm

57 photos on Panzer-Modell.de
http://panzer-modell.de/referenz/in_.../br52/br52.htm

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
vBench

Good work as always.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
Thanks Larry .
BOSS? - WELL maybe like a boss v8 in a Mustang? Hope you enjoyed the research. I knew nothing about BR52 locos before this thread but you know what Modelling is like, once you startyou get drawn into the mods which then leads you down the history trail. I love it!
Yup, that's exactly why I love this hobby, and why I don't get more done.

LOL

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Brokeneagle

Thanks Siim and Lawrence.

Hope you are enjoying the bits and pieces
Thanks Lawrence for those additional refs. very good. I am about to start some of the wiring detail on the cylinder casings and these photo's showed some clear angles. Everybody should be aware though that these locos with the extra bits on top of the boiler, and additional pipes down the sides, represent retro fitting after the war [as far as I can tell by my rescources].
If anybody can verify the additional boiler detail as being a wartime upgrade I would love to hear from them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Brokeneagle

Reference Shots

A friend at work found some original BR 52 photos in his spare room. They turned up in a bunch of old photo's he bought at an auction some years back. He has allowed me to scan them and put them up here.
This first shot is from Germany in the 1970's but the coal is being loaded in pretty much the same way as the 40's I think. It looks untouched except for the lights at the front. It is running the later Tender.

This shows a couple face to face . The back one being fairly original but the closest one has has some mod's to the top of the boiler that I have seem on others from the old eastern block.

This one looks nearly totally original. It is Austria in the late 80's and I tracked this one down in my book and fond that it was an original built in germany in May 1944 but is still running the spoked Pony wheels that where phased out over a year before.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 10-18-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
vBench

Brilliant stuff everyone...

I've got 2 of the 3 Voyager sets... I'm interested to see which drive wheels they represent.

2 questions:

One: Ian, per your book, were any of these commited to the Med/Italian runs? I'm hoping that the Germany to Italy stuff wasn't all done by commandeered Ferrovia locos and wagons...

Two: If I follow your comments to date the kit is representative of the wartime fittings - or - Does the kit seem to be built with many after war mods built into it that will correcting?

Now to get the book.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Brokeneagle

Paul,
in answer to your questions...............

2 questions:

One: Ian, per your book, were any of these commited to the Med/Italian runs? I'm hoping that the Germany to Italy stuff wasn't all done by commandeered Ferrovia locos and wagons...

There were over 100 52's known to hve been used by the Germans in Italy in 1944/45. There doesn't seem to be a country in Europe that didn't have them.

Two: If I follow your comments to date the kit is representative of the wartime fittings - or - Does the kit seem to be built with many after war mods built into it that will correcting?

As far as I can tell the kit is quite accurate to WW2 specs, except for the smoke deflectors. It seems to match a machine built
during the crossover period [MID 1943]incorporating early model tender and possibly mid model chassis with late style pony wheels and flat top cylinder casings[ 1944 Polish style?]. It needs a little bit of detailing with bolts and wires as well as details to the cab. I will be able to give you more as I progress but it is definately all ww2.
Be aware that as far as thebook goes it is a good reference but not a great one for WW2 photo's. Nearly all of the photos are post war and there is only a small portion of the text divoted to ww2 - the rest is what happened post war and records of the where the individual locos ended up and where they were first manufactured. I will still be looking for a better ref on WW2 52's for photo's.
[/quote]

Last edited by brokeneagle; 10-18-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
vBench

Talking Excellent!

Thanks, Ian-

I've got 5 of the DML wagons half built in storage (2 of the SSy cars)...in my head the plan is for an Italian bound convoy...

I'm amazed at how few pics of the camoflaged versions there seem to be - perhaps because no one has been looking till recently.

I'm going to go back through the World at War series - as there is a fair amount of stock footage of German rail - heading East, reinforcing Italy, getting strafed by Jabos in France, etc.

If I find anything, maybe Stuke can give me a hand with some grabs.

Have you fondled the Voyager sets yet?

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
vBench

Uh oh, Ranta's starting to babble about uber dio's from Italy. Watch out gang...he might start frothing at the mouth. Hey Paul, if you want that dio to become a reality you have to start...BUILDING!

Screen grabs? I've done that before haven't I?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
vBench

Yeah, yeah... you've seen my great pile of rail cars...

Stuke - Yer lucky this is a family joint... isn't owning half of the build?

I've yet to compare the Trumpeter track sets to the six pack of DML track I own - yawn.

Not sure if this link was posted... a few shots of someone's model rail set with various camo jobs over the Reichsbahn schemes.

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic.php?t=3651

Reply With Quote top