Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 AM
vBench

Being lazy lately so haven't built or posted much.

Now this one BIG kit really calls my attention.

In fact, the box is SMALLER than I thought, compare to the box of their Karl Morsel.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 AM
vBench

LOL, we have slide mold here :lol:

without the slide, those rivets will become undercut. Now I have to remove that seam.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 01:40 AM
vBench

Molding quality:

Such "defects" are all over the parts, fitting is not bad, and not very hard to deal with a piece of sand paper, and then after the glue dries and you have a bottle of Gunze Surfacer nearby.

So we always have fit that is half way good along the joint, but a gap somehwere along the same joint. :angry:

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 01:52 AM
vBench

Just to give an impression of the size

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 AM
vBench

Hi Man,

You are building it so fast :lol: ...I just opened mine ...and looking and thinking how to process this really "BIG" kit

I had the DML's PZIV D & the 234/4 on my bench already...it is no room to put this "BIG kit on the bench...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 09:38 AM
vBench

:lol: I started the DML 234/4 but not the Pz IV D, so I still have quota.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 10:24 AM

I've finished the BR-52 I built for the local hobby store, and the quality is very uneven. Certain parts look awesome, while others were poorly molded and some sprues were mislaigned! :angry:
Made a big job even bigger, but it still builds into a nice looking kit and impressive as well. Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 04:22 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by bother37@Apr 22 2006, 10:24 AM
the quality is very uneven. Certain parts look awesome, while others were poorly molded and some sprues were mislaigned! :angry:
Concur

Look at these:

not uncommon to see parts like this one:

or this one:

or this, a hole that is way too big for the tab:
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 AM
vBench

Well Leo good to see you posting again. I wonder though if you might be a little tooo hyper critical of the molding of the kit. From the photo examples you have posted it seems to me that these are really just the usual minor clean ups that accompany a plastic model kit. All the "defects" that I see in your posts would not be something I would find hard to rectify. Isn't sanding and filling seams the ususal jobs when building a kit? I'll bet you this plastic injection kit is oodles more easier to put together than the old CMK resin kit which you need to have a morgage on to buy.
Maybe just to balance things out perhaps post some pics of some of the better aspects of the kit.
Look forward to more Step By Step pics, (if my post doesn't piss you off though) (ha, ha).
Take care

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerfaust@Apr 23 2006, 04:44 AM
All the "defects" that I see in your posts would not be something I would find hard to rectify. Isn't sanding and filling seams the ususal jobs when building a kit?
LOL, you're right here.

This kit is still of better quality than those kits from Eastern Europe.

But when I look at the very clean molding and sharp edges in the Tamiya kits, as well as the lastest from DML, I can't help to compare. (may be it is not fair)

And yes, sanding and filling is a routine part of model building. But consider the size of these parts, and the sheer number of them, you will have a sore shoulder and arm. As a comparison, just an rough idea, I am about 1/4 through the DML 234/4, say, about 1/4 of the parts require some sanding. But for this one, something like 7/10 of the part require sanding. Times the number of parts, and times their sizes, you can figure out the total "labor" required. (not to say, if you compare to the Tamiya Famo w/ Trailer, which is simialr in size and complexity, this kit will require at least 3 times working hours)

In fact, Trumpeter gives me an impression, that they just "reproduce" evert part in plastic, without thinking about how the parts should be divided, and more important, how they should be joint together. Most big parts actually are quite difficult to align, as there are not much of locations tabs to speak of (those present are not very helpful) More on that later when I take some pictures.

To be fair, this kit is not difficult at all, and I enjoy building it a lot :lol: . But when the design and technology of other companies, like DML and Tamiya, seems to increase with every new release, the standard to judge a kit just become higher.
Reply With Quote top