Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Pz.III Ausf.N

Hey Guys,
itīs been ages since my last post...
Well, to be honest, I didnīt manage to do a lot of modelling lately, and wasnīt able to finish much, but did build some stuff. The only build I finished will be posted over the next couple of days.
Anyway, feels good to be back and amazing to see so much great modelling going on here!

Now, back to the topic, I donīt want to bore you .
itīs DMLīs Pz.III Ausf.N w/Schürzen.
I guess thereīs not much need to say how amazing these kits are. I really, really love Dragonīs III series.
Since Iīm a bit lazy lately, I didnīt apply too much Aftermarket goodies on it.
Kwk - Tamiya (from their StuG III Ausf.B, will use an Armorscale mantlet and barrel on it),
Tool clamps - ABER,
Antenna - Modellbauwelt Bliestal,
RO MG34 - ABER.
coax MG - RB.
Tracks - Friul,
Figure - Taisho (leftover from a crashed Tristar 38(t).

Iīll finish this one as a vehicle of the 2. Pz.Div. around Kursk in ī43.
This means a basecoat in Dunkelgelb with some spots in Olivgrün.

I got three weeks off from work (my first holidays this year), so Iīm sure Iīll be able to finish this one. My first plan was to start with the IV, but since I never could resist a III-based vehicle...

As you might see, I had to repair one of the Skirt supports on the turrets right side with some thin plastic sheet. It was so thin that it wasnīt fully molded on the sprue.
Since the mold lines were running right between the screws that fix the supports on the hull and turret, it was easier to remove them and add them new with some MIG photoetched disks after getting rid of the lines.

Basecoat was Tamiya Dark Yellow, second coat was Dark Yellow mixed with glossy white and some clear gloss.
Camo was sprayed using Tamiya Nato Green.
To prime the metal parts of the tools and the spare tracks, I mixed some Games Workshop Badab Black with Scorched Brown.
Wooded parts were primed with Vallejo German Camo Beige (they will later be treated with Oils to maked them look like wood).
The metallic sleeves on the Gun cleaning rods and the inside of the gun barrel were painted with Vallejo Oily Steel.
For the rubber on the wheels I used Games Workshop Badab Black, mixed with some Vallejo German Camo Beige.
The open flaps on the backside were painted with Tamiya Hull Red, with some glossy red mixed in.
Leather parts received a coating with Scorched Brown (the leather pad on the cuppola already received some further treatment with Games Workshops Black Wash).
The color for the tracks was mixed from Tamiya Nato Black and Nato Brown.
To keep things a bit interesting, I decided to add some Grey parts on the tank, like the Antenna and one spare wheel, which were painted with Tamiya Dark Grey.

Man, it felt amazing to play around with my Airbrush and colours again!
I hope you like it so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	4944
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	3546  
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Hi Markus

Great to see you posting again. Always admire your builds.

You mentioned the figure came from a crashed Panzer 38(t) .....please tell me its not this onehttp://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...ghlight=panzer a build I bookmarked because I loved the finished model.

How did you do the road wheels , tyre painting looks so neat. Did you spray black and then mask and paint the centre?

Looking forward to next update. Lovely look so far.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 07:37 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
this is really nice Markus. clean, crisp build and the paint work is top notch stuff. should weather up nicely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
vBench

Hi my friend Markus!

...it's always a pleasure to see your works!...I'm very happy because you're modelling again...another super clean build...thanks for sharing my friend...

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
vBench

Er lebt!

Hi Markus,

Indeed, it has been very quiet from your side for a long time. I hope you are doing fine? It was very noticable that you took a break from modelling!

Your Pz III looks very good. A nice and clean build and your painting looks good as well!
One question, did you paint the skirts while they were mounted to the model? Or were you holding them somehow? Or did you fix them to anything?

Nice to see and hear from you again, pale!

Best regards,

Notger
DML Jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Historyfacts
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 AM
vBench

Hey guys,
thanks a bunch for the nice words and the warm welcome !

Alan,
unfortunately, it was that 38(t).
Man, seeing the pics makes my heart bleed again.
Anyways, the guy now has a new home and it gives me the opportunity to build another 38(t).
Regarding the wheels, I simply sprayed them Dark Yellow and painted the rubber with a fine brush. I guess itīs THAT thing I hate most in modelling, but somehow I always refused to get a stencil for that. Thinking about how much III-based vehicles I intend to build in the future, I maybe should get one of those new masks for them. Should make life easier .

Chad,
thanks man, but compared to your work, itīs just glueing small plastic parts to each other. I was blown away from your Pz.IV last night and Iīm only half way through the thread .

Luiz,
thanks a lot my friend!
Feels good to be back!

Notger,
altes Haus!
Iīm not that pale anymore since spending a few days outside this year .
Just kidding buddy.
The skirts were blue tacked on a thicker piece of cardboard and sprayed Dark Yellow, for the camo scheme, they were hung in place on the rails. Not quite sure yet whether or not I will fix them all in place once the kit is finished and this way I had some Dark Yellow areas where the Schürzen overlap.
Oh and I didnīt really took a time-out from modelling, just from painting. I was able to finish the build of some other kits, but never could force myself to paint them. Letīs just say real life got me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
vBench

Hi Markus,

Great to see your new work here again...great work alway! The camo paint looks really nice
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
*drool* Der IIIer sieht mal wieder affengeil aus! *drool*

Markus, it's great to hear from you, my friend! I was a little concerned because I tried to call you but couldn't get through to you.

I wish I had some time for modelling, too...

Johannes
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
vBench

Ups, sorry for the typing error...
Thank you very much for your explanation about the skirts!
Is there any possibility to get you on the phone during the next days? I also had the same problem as Johannes had.

Again, it's great to see you around, but on the other side your great modelling skills just show me that I'm a absolut beginner in painting... (During your kind of "absence" I even posted some photos of my 'work in progress' over at the german forum)

Take care and best regards,

Notger
DML Jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Historyfacts
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
vBench

Thanks again guys, it means a lot!
I did apply some pinwashes over the last couple of days, but somehow Tom Rob Smithīs "Child 44" crossed my path. Great book, hard to put down .
Anyways, Iīll be able to update tomorrow, I promise.

Marco,
thanks a lot buddy!
Iīm just reading through your "Diana"-build. Supersweet blog, as usual!

Johannes,
you did? Strange... I tried to call you today as well.
Just keep trying during the later evening (21h should be fine), pretty safe to get me then as Iīm either reading or modelling.

Notger,
no problem, I knew what you meant buddy .
To be honest, I havenīt been on the german forum for a while, so I wasnīt able to see your build. How about a link?
Regarding the phone call, like I said to Johannes, pretty safe to get me during the evening.
Reply With Quote top