Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
vBench

For a while I've been doing other projects for a national model show in few weeks. This one is not going to be ready for this year :lol:
Anyway, I wanted to add similar lower chassis pans as in new Dragon Drilling kit. So I copied PE parts to 0.005" Plasticard. I taped PE to edge of plastic and cut carefully with sharp knife new part. I triimed part and glued with Tamiya extra thin glue.
Here are the results for first one.

As soon as I get other one side made and have added missing bolts, I'll send more pics.

Niko
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM
vBench

Niko,

What ever happened to this one??

Now that I'm building a little 251C I went back and re-read this one hoping for more

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Donovan@Dec 7 2005, 11:09 AM
Niko,

What ever happened to this one??

Now that I'm building a little 251C I went back and re-read this one hoping for more

Cheers,
Christopher
Sorry to say but for some reason I ran out of steam with this one. It's been waiting for a while now. I did get some progress with this. I have to check and update this one.
As I have Lionroar and Royal Model sets for this, those confuse a bit as there are some interlapping parts. It's hard to decide which ones to use :lol:

I'll get back on this,

Niko
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 AM
vBench

Well,
last night I kicked this project a bit forward. I'll get some pics asap. There's been some serious soldering of Lionroar and that is slow work for me as I don't master that skill very well. Also for some reason soldering tips seem to "burn" too fast. When tip burns out/down/up/in what ever, solder doesn't stick to it and heat doesn't transfer to parts
One big omission I noticed with Lionroar PE is that it provides nice stowage bins with hatches and latches but no hinges! This means that I have to SB ones to show bin open.

Niko
Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
vBench

There is an update to this project. I have used lot of time to this but not much results to be seen.

New floor is made of Eduard PE panel. Panel lines are drawn, not actually cut. Lazy me!

Most time consuming parts so far, side bins and 6 of them. In pic is shown only two, one fully soldered and other unfinished one. As I said earlier, hinges are missing so those have to be added if hatch is to be shown open.

Royal model seats with some parts added. These looked so nice so I left PE stuff for another project.

As DML is missing a feature, I wanted to add that. Feature is lip of upper hull over lower hull side. I have sanded and sanded and sanded lower hull sides to get them thinner. This pic doesn't show it but I have managed to sand enough. I ran into trouble with rear part. More of that later.

Roof part with added details. One part got loose so that must be added.

This was a small update but more to follow next week. Looks like camera I'm using is not suitable for macro pics. Most of the details can't be seen from pics.

Niko
Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 AM
vBench

Good idea with the sanding of the lower hull. I might be trying that on mine. Dragon has no overhang on the 1/72 version either.

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 AM
vBench

Looking good their. How is the Lion Roar PE? I have a few sets but have not used it yet.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
It's coming along Niko,
Keep it going!

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 03:07 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Donovan@Dec 9 2005, 10:14 AM
Good idea with the sanding of the lower hull. I might be trying that on mine. Dragon has no overhang on the 1/72 version either.

Cheers,
Christopher
Thanks, problem now is rear plate that lost the correct angles. Well, partly of my incorrect sanding. I have to rebuild it from plasticard.
Even thou sanding lower plates sounds easy, I ran into troubles. It is rather difficult to sand plastic evenly. I will do fine tuning with this for a long time :lol:
DML hasn't corrected this mistake to their latest 251's so guess that will not be a feature in Dragon's.
It may be a bit easier in 72 scale as parts are smaller. Good luck with it, Donovan

Niko
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by mnickolson@Dec 9 2005, 11:39 AM
Looking good their. How is the Lion Roar PE? I have a few sets but have not used it yet.
My opinions for LR are divided. They do nice PE sets that are easier to mange than Aber but still more detail rich than Eduard. Downside is that some of the parts do not fit or are incorrect.
As parts are not plated, those are easier to solder.

Niko