Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
vBench

Quote:
As some of you guys are using it for zim, I decided to pick up some Mori Mori putty from HLJ
You must have bought the last one. I placed my order yesterday for some and it's on backorder

Great pick-up on the Tiger book. It's one of the must have books.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
vBench

Verlinden Tiger I 'Through the Hatch' Interior

Picked it up the other day. Thought I would give a quick in-box review for you guys. The kit comes packaged in a rather tiny cardboard box, with the resin parts inside a plastic bag. Ther are 57 resin pieces, with a lengths of tubing and rod. This set will detail the driver and radio operator's compartments, and the turret. Included is a double sided page of instructions, one side is a layout of the parts, the other 13 black and white photos with part numbers noted on them. Not as nice as the clean instructions found in CMK kits, but fairly easily to follow if you study them carefully.
It is important to note that some prep work is necessary, this entails removing the forward tabs from the hull top plate and the plastic mount for the loaders seat.
Starting with the hull, we get resin parts for the gearbox/transmission and brake drums. Verlinden gives you parts for either the early Henschell or later Argus-Lenkapparet steering wheels, though the Argus model would be appropriate for the later Tigers. Two of each are included, though they are cast flat on to a resin sheet which will require some back-sanding to remove them. Moving on, we have two floor pieces with an anti-slip pattern that sit above the torsion bars. The driver's and radio operators seats will attach to these. A very basic resin radio set is included, looks pretty poor when compared to other radios I have seen. MG ammo bags are included as well. A resin part will glue to the back side of the Dragon driver's armor plate, this will require a little trimming of the kit part. The kit bow MG is used. Finally, a roof brace is included, but this was badly warped in my kit and may have to be scratched.
Moving on to the turret, we get a fairly detailed interior. Turret basket, support arms, counter-balance, and bridge are all included. Elevation and traverse wheels for the gun and turret are present, as well as the traverse lock for the turret. a simple gunners seat is installed on the bridge, you will use the kit commanders and loaders seats. Vision blocks for the side viewports, the 12 hour azimuth indicator, and foot pedals are also included.
What is not present is any detail for the main gun, you will use the kit gun. It would have been nice to have a new breach, as the kit lacks a breach block. No gun lock or roof detail is included, and the coax MG is absent as well.
A few storage bins and personal items are included, these will be helpful in detailing the interior further. A good reference book, such as Jentz's DW to Tiger I, will be a great help in working with this kit. If you want to add some detail to your Dragon Tiger with open hatches, this kit provides an excellent starting point.

Last edited by Evan August; 10-15-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add pic
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 PM
vBench

Keith Vreeland, aka Korshun, supplied me with some of his Tru Twist tow cable a few weeks ago.

Comes packaged in a resealable bag on a plastic card. The medium and special 'Big Cats' sets have enough cable for both cables, but the heavy set only has enough for one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
vBench

You simply cut the cable to desired length and then add the kit or AM ends. As you can see, there is a finer weave to the cable than that offered in the Dragon kits.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 PM
vBench

The major drawback to this cable is that it is rather inflexible. Out of the package, it wants to return to its coiled shape. I have attempted to correct this with some success by heating it over a candle. This helped it straighten some what, but it's still pretty rigid and won't quite bend the way I want it to. I think that if I continue to work with it it might straighten out more. But right now I have concerns that it will not bend around the corner. Notice that it also kinks up in the middle near the stowage tube.

Here's my attempts to fit it to the Panther.

As it stands right now-
Tru Twist has a superior, finer weave to it and is less likely to split apart or untwist like I have experienced with the Dragon cables.
However, it just doesn't want to straighten or bend right! Might be made to work on the Panther with some more heat treating and a little work, but I have concerns about how it would work on a vehicle where the cable is bent around (tigers) or coiled (Panzer IV).

Last edited by Evan August; 12-27-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 AM
vBench

Quote:
However, it just doesn't want to straighten or bend right! Might be made to work on the Panther with some more heat treating and a little work, but I have concerns about how it would work on a vehicle where the cable is bent around (tigers) or coiled (Panzer IV).
G'day Evan, it would be a shame not to be able to use these cables on your Panther.
I know this sounds dumb but why not make a jig with nails in a wooden block at the exact spots you want your bends. You could clamp one end the apply highly localized heat where you want?
I've seen this done to good effect before.
Coops

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 AM
vBench

Great Idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
sorry, wrong.

delete please.