Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Nice looking Panther...

I built this kit years ago but just OOTB. Looks like you got an early G there.
Good job adding all the details and the zimmerit looks good...

A couple of observations if I may...

1) If I remember correctly, the rear turret escape hatch doesn't have any zimm applied, it should or did I miss that?

2) The tracks on the left hand side where they go around the sprocket seem too high as they leave the sprocket on top...they look too "light" for steel tracks etc.

3) There's a mantlet stop under the left side of the mantlet which you might want to add? Like a triangular peice to prevent too much gun depression. I would post a photo but my scanner is not working properly.

4) Nice job on the engine ventilator screen....the G had an armored cover over it.

Again Dan nice job and observations not meant as criticisms...

Regards, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM
vBench

it's actually an A model Paul....the OLD tamiya kit....i was warned not to attempt the kit for all its inaccuracies, but i took it on anyway. i regretted that decision a few times, but in the end i'm glad i did...its been a really rewarding build.
thanks for the tips. as for the zim on the back hatch, i'm not terribly concerned....zim application seems to have had plenty of inconsistencies.....at least as many as there were "rules", and considering a field application any kind of method may have been used, within reason, at least thats my take on it.
as for the tracks, i still have a little adjusting to do, but thanks for the input.
thank you for reminding me about the stops for the mantlet too....i'd forgotten to put those on!
i admit i jumped on the ventilaor screen before i did much research on it....is it relatively accurate? i'm awarw of the g-type armored ventilator, but the a-type was flushed/recessed i believe?
thanks for the observations and for looking over my work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM
vBench

Thanks to Paul for posting in this thread again....it got me interested in it again. I've been working on an IS-3M build for a different site (will post here when it's done) and got side-tracked away from this one.
I added a couple little things Paul (serpico) suggested, and just continued working on some of the tool details. Today I got the cleaning rod tube completed and the headlight mounted.

Everyone keep in mind the "quality" of this kit please, and that it's a budget build using as few aftermarket items and as much scratchbuilding as I'm capable of. It's been an enormous effort, and given what it started as I'm doing my best to make it into a reasonably accurate representation of a Panther A. I know some of the details may not be completely "prototypical", but overall I'm trying to get at least most of the general stuff as accurate as I can. Thanks to all for their help, support, ideas, and just for looking

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
vBench

Paint....finally

Well while I'm sure there is a lot of small build stuff yet to do, I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this thing, and I just want to see it finished, so I kind of wrapped everything up and squirted some paint on it.
I'll be using the hairspray weathering technique, so I started with a base of blacked Tamiya field grey and some dark rusty brown mixed up from Vallejo Flat Earth, Black, and Cavalry Brown. I sure like these Vallejo paints. I shot it with some hairspray and gave it about 18 hours to dry.
I did also scratch build the tow cables from some picture hanging wire and the kit ends.

I then mixed up my own batch of Dunkelgelb using the Vallejo Desert Yellow, some Poly Scale Pullman Green, and black.

Next I mixed up some dark brown and some dark green for the camo scheme. My airbrush started acting up right as I needed it most, but I still think it all turned out ok.

On to weathering!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

You are one busy modeler... and I like the Panther so far!

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
vBench

I have been this winter/spring Jeff! I havent done much modeling for the past several years, and for whatever reason the bug bit me hard again last fall. With spring here and nicer weather every week, it's time to start getting out into the yard and get the motorcycles and hot rods going for the summer, but I am bound and determined to finish this Panther before I set it down again. Thats another reason why I joined the campaign on AR...to keep me plugging until it's over. I may well be on hiatus through most of the summer and fall, but I think I'm back for good as far as modeling goes!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Another Modeler

Wow, Dan,

That's one outstanding build/paint job!

Looks generations better than the one I did years ago....nice job on the gun tube and supports and the headlight looks great as well!!!

The tracks look great too....hope to see it finished soon, good luck!

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM
vBench

thanks serpico! its coming along good....i wish the photos did it more justice...looks better in person. i'm on to weathering it now....its looking good. thanks for the comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
vBench

I got a good start on weathering yesterday. It's going quickly, though not as good as I'd hoped. I used the hairspray technique and did some things different than I have in the past in an effort to make the process more controllable, mainly in applying heavier base and top coats, and allowing longer dry times, but it made removing the top coat for chipped areas very difficult and often went all the way down to the plastic. I used an acrylic basecoat...should I be using enamel? I cant remember what I did on my Pz. II.
From there I began weathering with pigments and washes. It's not done yet...I haven't even begun drybrushing yet, and I'm still waiting on new MG kits for the bow and commander's stations, and I need to build a mount for the top MG ring, but it's on its way!!

Last edited by TankDan; 05-05-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Another Modeler

Hi Dan,

Again nice Panther, the weathering is very good...

Any option for the engine screens? You have none installed, was just wondering?

One criticism if I may....the tow cable ends are good but what is between it and the cable? You could slide some tubing over this area to hide the joint etc. Just observation my friend...

I believe they had wax paper wrapping installed from the factory...

Paul

Last edited by serpico; 05-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top