Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Stug IV

A few months ago I was accidentally inspired to start building my Stug IV early version from Dragon. The reason was Eric Grim´s thread where he started his build of the same vehicle (Thread is here http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7372). At first I just followed his thread, but before I knew of it, I had pulled my own kit from the shelf, opened the inner bags and started cutting parts from the sprues.

I had bought some update sets even before Eric started his post. From Orange Hobby I have the basic detail set, the fender set and the schurtzen set. Since I have had some previous experiences with Orange Hobby, I had also bought the detail set from Lion Roar as a backup.

As reference I am primerely using Achtung Panzer vol. 1 (panzer IV) and vol. 5 (Sturmgeschütz III/IV)

At this moment, the build well underway. I will start posting pictures soon and try to describe what I have done so far. I am making my own Zim out of Mori Mori putty. I have learned the hard way, that this is not an easy task, and some spots are not as good as others, but more on that later. I have also made my first incorrectabel mistake, due to a blind fate in Dragons instructions.

That will be all for now. More will follow soon.

Greetings from Denmark
Torben Nielsen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StugIV-05.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6114  

Last edited by Torben Nielsen; 05-31-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM
vBench

I took a few pictures of the model as it looks right now. The light is not so good, and hopefully this will improve with the next pictures

The lower hull is complete besides a few minor details that will be added later. The zimmerit coat is also complete besides the area around the left side brake access hatch. Some zimmerit has been added to the upper hull (some was removed again, as can be seen above the drivers hatch). The upper hull, gun and roof is just dryfitted. I prefare to keep the larger parts seperated for easier application of the zimmerit. The first of the fenders is right beside the model. It is easy to assemble, but the fit to the hull........ more on that later.

A better view of the left side of the model. As can be seen the coat of Zimmerit is quite uneven

The rear of the model. this is where I made the first major mistake. I choose the wrong base for the idler wheels. Dragons instructions shows both the wrong and the right choise, and I simply overlooked the right one....... Nothing to do about it now.

Thats all for now.

Thanks for looking,
Torben

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
vBench

lovely zimm =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
vBench

Hey Torben,

Don't sweat the details (Idler Wheels....) I'm sure that it's going to be a real looker when completed. Are you using Mori Mori putty for the Zimm?

Best,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM

posted...

RAWK!

posted on planetarmor facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Planet...5118289?ref=ts

posted on planetarmor twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/#!/planetarmor

very nice build in-progress.
thanks,

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 PM
vBench

Time for an update.

Thanks for the comments. Rick, yes I am using Mori Mori. Saw that Sam Dwyer was using it so I gave it a try. Right now the whole house stinks, the stuff really, really smells bad. The first time I used it, I learned that adding too much of the harder will give you little time to work with. Last night I then learned what happens when you dont add enough. I had to remove the putty from the rear and side wall of the fighting compartment as it simply wouldnt dry, not even after more than 12 hours.

I have just redone what I had to remove, and I even finished a few more areas. If everything goes according to schedule, the zimmerit will be finished by tomorrow.

That was all for now, thanks for looking

Torben

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
vBench

what did you use for this zimm? =)
looks very nice specially on big surfaces like sides and front
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
vBench

A little update.

The zimmerit is now as close to complete as can be. I only need to do the mudguard flaps, but those are not completet yet. I dont have any pictures of this right now, but I may add some later on. That is, if anybody cares to see more zimmerit pictures

Besides Mori Mori putty I used Tamiyas zimmerit tools. I still need to master the small areas, but since I have plenty of models in the stash that needs zimmerit, I may end up learning it some day.

I have been working on the MG shield. With the parts from Lion Roar, Orange Hobby and Dragon, I more or less had two choises. The Orange Hobby and Dragon shields are allmost identical, excetp for the fact that Orange hobby, for what ever reason, choosed to make two openings in the shield instead of just one, as can be seen in the picture below. The shield from Lion Roar has a different shaped opening, and as far as my references can tell, this more of the earlier style intented for the MG34. Dragon And Orange Hobbys shields are for the MG42.

Though I am building the early Stug IV, I want the MG42 so I went along with the Orange Hobby shield, also because the Lion Roar shield is close to 1 mm taller that the other two.

Below are pictures of the shield, both front and rear. I cut off the small strip between the two openings to get the right look of the shield. I also exchanged the lower half of the hinges with some strip of etch, mostly beacuse those from orange Hobby are to short to bend proberly.

Thats it for now.

Thanks for looking
Torben
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 AM
vBench

I also have this kit ,wish i had the @#$$*to do the zimmerit my self,insted got a atak set
Reply With Quote top