Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM
vBench

The Small Shop!

Hello everyone,

Sometimes in the course of my modeling work I run across ideas or products that really make a difference. I recently began using some of the excellent products produced by The Small Shop, http://thesmallshop.com/ , a top notch company producing a range of products designed to make modeling easier and more enjoyable.

Of course, I have been using photo etch tools for quite some time and for the most part I was satisfied with their performance. I figured that these tools were about the same, and that one tool was about as good as the other. However, I recently found this line and am now using a number of the Hold and Fold tools from The Small Shop and I wouldn't even think of going back. The all metal designs and hard edged fingers make precise bending a breeze. I've also come to appreciate the convenient release screw that allows for quick adjustments of the tool work area.

I like to keep the small, but highly functional “Bug” on my bench at all times. Its small size doesn’t clutter my work area though it has more than enough bending options to handle most routine photo etch bending needs. When larger or longer bends are required, such as fenders, I reach for one of their larger bending tools, either the 4" MkIV "The Workhorse" or the 5.5" "5 Speed".

In addition to The Small Shop’s bending tools, I also picked-up their Wire Wrangler; a handy tool which ensures that most any gauge wire can be quickly and accurately bent to precise lengths. The first time I used this tool was for making the grab handles on my recent JS-II. The process is amazingly easy. Simply determine the length of wire that you need then find the corresponding width on the calibrated clamp, slide the wire between the halves, clamps down and bend. The circular shape also allows for the easy production of circular ring and D-ring shapes as well.

Happy Modeling,
Rick

I am not affiliated with this company, to contact The Small Shop Directly:

http://thesmallshop.com/

Vbench

Last edited by RickLawler; 08-15-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Founder

Very cool stuff Rick, thanks!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey Rick,
I totally agree, their stuff is amazing, as is their service.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM
vBench

Hey Rick, is the Wire Wrangler made of aluminum or stainless?
The bug has pricked my interest quite a few times [looks like I could hold it up to my old eyes rather than bend down to the bench] and I've been close to tempted to get one.
thanks for the heads up .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
vBench

Thanks for the heads up Rick. I've been thinking of getting a PE bending tool mself. Looks very niffty!

Julian
Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Hey Rick, is the Wire Wrangler made of aluminum or stainless?
The bug has pricked my interest quite a few times [looks like I could hold it up to my old eyes rather than bend down to the bench] and I've been close to tempted to get one.
thanks for the heads up .

Steve, the Wrangler is CNC machined from aircraft grade aluminum. The knobs seems to be made from hard plastic - all the tools have a very substantial feel to them.

Julian, your work deserves a good tool such as these.

Take care guys,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
vBench

The Small Shop Tools

The small shop tools are very high quality and much better built than any of the other photo etch tools I have seen (i.e. etch mate). If you are interested in super detailing, the nutter is another well made tool by this company.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM
vBench

Thumbs up The Small Shop tools.

Thanks Rick,for the review!.

This tools looks like the most useful for any kit modeller.

Best,

Tom
Reply With Quote top