Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
vBench

Panzer IV Ausf. C, 2 tone Camo

I need a brake from my luchs project, so I started with a Dragons Panzer IV Ausf. C.
Nice kit so far, you soon will find pictures in my workbench section.
Now to my question:

According to my rarely references at least six Ausf. C were used in the Normandy.
One/or some of them were painted in a two-tone hardedge yellow/green camo scheme.
I totally fell in love with this combination, and as far as I have never done a hard edge camo, this project will be a great exercise for me.

Does someone of you have any pictures or information about the 2 tone tanks?
I couldn’t find one picture in my references (Internet, Spielberger and the Achtung Panzer book

Thanks for your support,
Cheers Manuel
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 04:04 PM
vBench

Two tone Panzer IV

Hello Manuel,

All I have is a color profile of a IV B in Normandie 1944. The profile and a picture of that tank appear in the Francja 1944 vol. I published by Wydawnictwo Militaria a Polish publisher.

Hope this helps

Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
vBench

Hi Manuel
If you can find the old Osprey book in the Vanguard series no 18 "The Panzerkampfwagen IV" there is a picture and a color profile of a PZ IV /C from panzer reg 22 , 21 Pz div. Normandy in 1944 in two tone camuflage..

Best regards

Dan Seifert

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 10:29 PM
vBench

Dan

Here are some photos of a Normandy 1944 PzKpfw IV ausf C built by a local modeler, William Sum who builds most of Tristar's pre-release kits.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/17738...0066/IV+Ausf.C

The tracks and sprockets are from the original DML 3-in-1 kit. The bolts on the sprocket have also been repositioned.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/17738...D5%B0%D2%B2%C4

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 AM

G'Day all
Here is some more of William Sum's IV/C at the Hong Kong RMS 13. Very nice work by a master .
Ed.
http://www.pbase.com/rms13_1/rms13
Old 11-23-2006, 03:02 AM
vBench

What is sure is that there were some B in 8th Company of the 22 Regiment, in 21.Panzerdivision.

I haven´t seen any C. The main difference is the co-axial machine gun in the mantelet, C was reinforced.

In the charts of forces of the unit they only mention short barrel Panzer IV. The well-known picture of the two-tone camo vehicle does not show the distiction feature so we donnot know for sure which model it is.

You could go also with a C, but I haven´t seen a picture of one in Normandy.

There is a picture of a B in a French town with a Rommalkiste. It appears in Militaria hors serie and in Heindal´s 21 Panzerdision book.

Regards,

Antonio
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 12:29 PM
vBench

I think the photo that Antonio refers to is "Heidi". This is from Francja 1944 Vol 1 - Wydawnictwo Militaria. "Heidi" does not have the two tone camo. I have seen the photo of the two tone Pz IV and it has been abandoned. I will post it when I find it.

More photos of "Heidi" in Sturm & Drang PzKpfw IV

The color plate from Franjca 1944 Vol 1

Color plate from New Vanguard 28

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 PM
vBench

Tanks for your fantastic support!

Quote:
In the charts of forces of the unit they only mention short barrel Panzer IV.
I checked my references ones again. You are absolutely right, achtung panzer does also not mention wich Pz. IV were in use, only:

6 short barrel model belong to the 8 kompanie panzer regiment 22 according to a document dated 1st June 1944.

As it is not absolutely clear, I will go for the Ausf. C (Already started the model), more to came later this night in my workbench section.

Once again thanks for your superb support, you really helped me!

Cheers Manuel
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 05:24 PM
vBench

Ok I have a question.

Is it possible to build this two-tone Pz IV C in 1944 directly from the Tristar kit?

I am in a bit of a hurry right now and thus I haven't had the chance to read through all the comments in this thread so forgive me if the question has been a answered allready.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 05:41 PM
vBench

Hi Siim,

I think you can build it with both kits. I just started my thread in the workbench section. I will use the Dragon kit.
Reply With Quote top