Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 PM
This model kills fascists

Question Primer

What do fellow tread-heads think about primer?

I see lots of different types of primer, gray, black, white. I myself like to use red oxide, because that's what the tanks themselves used. I think this would give a more accurate tone to the paint over the top.

Course, I'm a newbie, only having been back at this for a year, and without a completed tank to my name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM

I like to use a dark-dark gray, almost-black primer, either Floquil's Grimy Black from their railroad color line or Tamiya NATO Black. Either color goes on thin and covers well, it just depends on whether you like solvent based or acrylic paints (although I've been using Tamiya's acrylics with their lacquer thinner for airbrushing which works great BTW.)

It provides a good contrast to the kit's plastic so you can see if you missed any spots, especially DML's gray or Tamiya's tan plastics. When you go over it with your color coat(s), you can use it to reinforce the suggestion and appearance of shadows (that whole "color modulation" thing) and, again, if you miss any spots with your colors, it just looks like a shadowed area. Either way I think a very dark gray is a better than a straight black, and is more easily blended into the color coat.

YMMV,
Curtis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
vBench

i don't use primer i just give it a coat of flat black depending on what im building
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
vBench

Gray primer from Wall-mart. Cheap and covers well. Less than $2 for a 10oz. spray can.
I use it it several light coats.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
vBench

at the moment im building a Challenger 2 of which i have given a coat of nato green, so when i have given it a coat of 'i havent decided yet' i will use a tooth pick to scratch the top coat making the appearance of new scratches, it worked for my M2 Bradley and im hoping it will do my Challenger well,
i believe the more coats of paint the more the smaller details will be covered,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
vBench

I have used the Krylon "household" type primer from the local retail store.

Light grey, black and for my next build I'm using the "Ruddy brown" primer that is close to the primer color.

People also use the Mr Surfacer which gives a very good surface (probably why its called Mr Surfacer) to paint with
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 AM
vBench

I was just painting a 1/48 Japanese Zero and found that the primer I use, ( Color Place Spray Paint from Wall-mart) is an almost perfect match for the IJN Gray from Model Master, just a little 'flatter'.
In case there are aircraft modelers around here.