Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Model Talk > Axis: World War II

View Poll Results: With so many Pz IVs out there now, which brand is your favorite?
Tristar 7 24.14%
Dragon/Gunze (classic Pz IVs) 2 6.90%
Dragon (new early Pz IVs, includes Cyber Hobby Ausf B) 12 41.38%
Tamiya 7 24.14%
Italeri 1 3.45%
Academy 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
vBench

I wanted to make this as open as I could, so if you vote, please state which brand you voted for and make sure to add the type/Ausf. that appeals to you and why.

RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 PM
vBench

I voted for the Italeri Pz IV only because they are the one with my favorite version. The Ausf. F. And because although I have at least one from all the other manufacturers, I have only built the ones from Acadamy, Tristar and Italeri.

Roy
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 PM
vBench

I voted for Tamiya basicly for the same reason Roy stated above, the J is my favorite Mk. and right now I think Tamiya's is the best available. Now if Dragon continues the Mk. IV series and does the later models as well, then it will probably be a different story.

Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Brokeneagle

I voted for the Tamiya as I like their H. My favourite is the late J but Tamiya don't make this one and the Dragon one is only good for cross -kitting. If they redo the late J like they have been doing with their others then that will become my favourite Mk4 kit.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 AM
vBench

Ive voted for Tristar.

I think Dragons are a bit overenginered and the fit of the photoetch for the tools could be better.

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Uruk-Hai@Apr 28 2006, 08:50 AM
Ive voted for Tristar.

I think Dragons are a bit overenginered and the fit of the photoetch for the tools could be better.

Cheers
How so?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 AM
vBench

Ive almost finnished the Dragon Pz IV E.

The breakdown of many parts are overdone compared to Tamiya and Tristar. This means a lot of careful cleaning up. If not done the fit and assembly ease will suffer. A good example of this is how the tracktension unit is built up on the Dragon kit.

The fit of the photoetch could improve a lot. Especially are the etch for the shackles to small which result in a slight curved upper part. Same goes for the jack holders.

Something Ive noticed on the latter Dragon kits is that the instruction poorly indicates which options you should use for the version youve intended. On the other hand this is better in the Pz IV E than for example the Sdkfz 251/22.

The Dragon kit is good kit, but my conclusion is that novice should stay away from it.

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2006, 02:55 PM

This is an easy one: Tristar's "C."

Very accurate, suspension great. It's not "gimmicky" like the Italeri kit, and is way more accurate than anything DML could ever produce.

Walter
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
vBench

I went with the DML/Gunze classics I like the Panzer IV Ausf F2 Main reason I like it is because I can paint a longer barreled Panzer in panzer gray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Uruk-Hai@Apr 29 2006, 05:30 AM
Ive almost finnished the Dragon Pz IV E.

The breakdown of many parts are overdone compared to Tamiya and Tristar. This means a lot of careful cleaning up. If not done the fit and assembly ease will suffer. A good example of this is how the tracktension unit is built up on the Dragon kit.

The fit of the photoetch could improve a lot. Especially are the etch for the shackles to small which result in a slight curved upper part. Same goes for the jack holders.

Something Ive noticed on the latter Dragon kits is that the instruction poorly indicates which options you should use for the version youve intended. On the other hand this is better in the Pz IV E than for example the Sdkfz 251/22.

The Dragon kit is good kit, but my conclusion is that novice should stay away from it.

Cheers
Tamiya...yeah, I can agree, natuarlly...the DML kit does have an articulated suspension...and compared to Tristar, the DML kit is perhaps only slightly more over engineered...I do agree that perhaps those track tension units should be less complicated...or at least give us an easy one piece thing lol

In either case, both kits are rather complicated...neither kit would suit as a kit for someone to build as their 'first kit'...from what I recall on the Dragon Pz IV E box, the fact that the kit can be labeled as for being for ages 10 and up is kind of odd...10 is far too young lol

I agree though that the DML p/e is so-so and that the instructions are kind of bad too, but Tristar still goofed up on their Pz IV D instructions too...and if anything, perhaps their goof up may not have been to the extreme that Dragons was, but all those tiny little bolts and details from the E sprues being mislabeled or whatever else on the instructions were still kind of bad....perhaps such tiny bolts though do serve to make the Tristar kit as equally complicated as the DML kit :-/

I still like both because either side has it's good points...all those DML spares are still nice

And walter...man, the negative waves are killing me!

RC
Reply With Quote top