Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 AM
vBench

I wasn't sure where to post this, so i hope this is OK....

I have not made Fruilmodel tracks before, but I was under the impression that there were 2 distinct "sides" to the tracks, so that the wire pins holding the links together would be facing towards the model. Each link would contain an open hole to insert the wire pin and a closed hole which would face "outside"...

Well, I ordered several sets of the Sd.Kfz. 251 tracks and after spending a few hours cleaning them up and drilling out the holes, I noticed that all of the tracks are the same. There are two bags of track links, but the closed-off holes are all on the same side of the track links. I thought maybe I had gotten a bad box, but when I checked the others, they were the same.

So, it appears as though you have to put one set of tracks on "backwards" to hide the wire pins... am I missing something here?

Cheers!

Jackal
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 09:57 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Some of Friuls tracks are handed, but some are not. To be honest, you can't really see the wire ends once you finish the ends. My first experience with them I used "Gel" or thick cyano to fill in the openings, then "filed" the end flat, after trimming the wire as close as possible. Also, some people use "punched" plastic discs to replicate bolt ends.

Hope that helps.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 AM
vBench

Larry is right. Some of their track sets are handed, but the majority are not (I think all of the Tiger, Panther, and Panzer 1-4 sets are). I have used both the CA glue method and the punched disks method to hide the pins and both work fine. The pins are not too visible, but if you are a perfectionist like myself they cry out to be hidden.

I am thinking about trying out another technique on my next set that you may be interested in. I am planning to use white glue to make the track pin heads. I like the way white glue works to make the little ball on the end of modern US antennas so it may work on the tracks as well.

HTH,
Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 AM
vBench

Thanks for setting me straight, guys! I have one more questions (at least for now)...

The kit comes with a number of metal rings for use with the road wheels.... are these spacers supposed to be placed between the middle 2 road wheels to make them wider, or are they supposed to go on the axles to make the roadwheels stick out further?

Thanks!!

Cheers!

Jackal
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 AM
vBench

I have not used (nor seen) the Friulmodel tracks for German halftracks, but I would guess those spacer are for between the two halves of the roadwheels to make them wider. Do some dry-fitting before hand though, because those spacers might be (a probably are) for the Tamiya series of 251s only. Let us know what you figure out.

HTH,
Adam
Reply With Quote top