Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
vBench

Leopard 2 A6 M CAN with upgrades

hi all,
Sorry for my poor english...
few weeks ago, I've bought second hand kit from Tamiya and the PE kit from Voyager Model. I've want make the canadian version wich serve in Afghanistan. So, I've ordered the Real Model upgrade. I haven't see that many parts are common to both kits...
never mind!
here is the tamiya kit:

http://http://www.servimg.com/image_...148&u=15955349

Now, the Voyager Model upgrade!
The parts are delivered in a classy and large box. The kit consists of 4 large sheets of PE, 4 medium and 5 small. They have not all the same thickness. There are two bags of resin parts. These include side mud guards, supports of smoke launchers... In addition to that, we have a cable in copper and other plastic profiles. There are also brass turned parts such as smoke launchers. Finally, there's a beautiful turned aluminium barrel.
Here is a picture of the contents with an X acto and a pot of Vallejo to get an idea of the scale.

Finally, the kit from Real model
The box contains a decal sheet from Echelon, a sheet of food boxes, some resin parts and some PE sheets. The PE sheets are made by Eduard from Real Model.

I have a lot of duplicate parts, but I choose the best of the 2 kits. For example, I would take the barrel from the kit from Voyager Model rather the Real model one.

For now, I'll just mount the turret boxes specific to the Canadian version.
I've used these tools and a solder station.

I used sand paper to make the antislip coating.

Give me your reaction!

Now, I'll return to the mounting of my panther F alternatif!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bosscat.jpg
Views:	4943
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	6817  
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
vBench

Hi bosscat
Wow, that is really much work. But if you don´t give up, it will be a fantastic leopard.
PS: My english is much poorer than your´s.

cheers

Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM
vBench

thanks Tom!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 AM
vBench

I'm back people!

After this battle with PE, I won't deny that my motivation has taken a hit! I had gone to get back to reassembling the panther but the amount of work to do to me demotivated ...
But I therefore left aside and continue leo stuff but not headaches. So I started studying the 3 instructions from Tamiya/Voyager/Real model to see what I was going over parts replaced by Tamiya. I found that some parts are unnecessary in some cases. For example, at least not implement the replacement tracks pads, replacement fixations of origin is not useful. We don't see them at all. It has other parts which, by their size and compared to where they are, contribute nothing or very little to the final result. For example, the padlock of side boxes will be stashed behind the slat. The reliefs found on the Tamiya kit are certainly crude but it will do. See for yourself ...

I then start to "clean" the surface of the hull of all the parties that I have to replace by PE.
The result:

What do you think?

I then did some research on colors that must have various lenses and optics. I had to collect 200 photos and most close-up. Anthony Seward had give me some nice pictures, thanks to him.
I do think periscops with clear green from Tamiya. From inside the leo, blocks are totally clear but not from outside. I think that's a reflect, the thickness and perhaps surface treatments that do that it seems green. Look at these pictures:

For the panoramic camera, it's a reflection of purple but I don't know how to do ...

In some cases, it's more blue as we can see on that Leclerc picture:

Have you an idea to do that??

I think smoking lightly armored glass in front of the hatch you see in the picture. I'm still waiting for the response from Anthony, but you have an idea of ​​what clear color I should use to make optical lenses hidden armored doors? I would see it without particular color for their site but I have a doubt. I speak of those stashed in there:

Once again, thx to Anthony for his kindness and pictures
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
vBench

When I do the prisms of the mian sights, I usually use photographic film that is out of the camera, not the negatives, for the brown coloured glass, but for blue, I think you could go with negatives, as they are the ones with blue. You just have to look through a certain amount of them, to find the right shade.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
vBench

Hi bosscat

I think the mirrors of the Leopard II are green shimmer. I saw this effect on german Leopards II here in Germany. Only the panoramic camera is a bit different.
A good way for the clear parts from the mirrors is Tamiya X-25 "clear green". Strongly diluted.
For the panoramic camera is the sticker from AFV-Club an idea. They looks very realistic. You can see the effect on my M1 Abrams here:
http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8504

Cheers

Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM
vBench

Hi Tom

Your Abrams is wonderful, the weathering etc...
Someone in another forum give me to the reference, I've ordered it. I'll see the effect of the afv club mirrors. If it doesn't suit me, I'il use clear green from tamiya.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 PM
vBench

I worked on the panoramic camera. I stuck a sticker from AFV club to represent the anti-reflection glass of the camera. I'm pretty amazed by the effect. I tried to show you a picture of it but it is not easy with artificial light. I tried tomorrow with sun light.

Reply With Quote top
Users like bosscat's post!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM
vBench

Here, I think, the last photos of Panther I post before subcontract the fig to a friend of mine. I’ll finish some accessories. I still put two jerrycans of water, weathering two shell and put black dust on the exhaust. I'll try a test with the printer toner on a small piece to check.
I'm relatively happy, my first model after almost 20 years!
Otherwise, I expect all your opinions and comments that would be useful to refine the panther me or I will be for the next tank.
Here the pictures in natural light but, always in low quality ...

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
vBench

Could someone tell me what is the black U-shaped pipe at the back of the deck?

Reply With Quote top