Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM
vBench

As some of you are probably aware, I've been stuck in a rut for some time with this hobby. I can't seem to get anything finished and now I just don't have much in me to even work on anything when I sit down at my modeling table.

I tried new projects, resurrecting old projects, re-organized my modeling room umpteen times...nothing was working.

Everyone knows that the last segment of the Star Wars trilogy came out a few weeks ago and I have seen it several times. While I will not comment too much on my thoughts on the movie (mixed bag), some of the vehicles in it did spur some interest in me.

I dug through my modeling closet and found some old Star Wars kits that I had laying around. I decided on this kit as a possible "rut-breaker", something different that I could use my imagination on.

And the box opened up:

When I first started this project I didn't think I was going to really post it anywhere so I didn't take many pictures. I have just a few to show right now, but will start to cover it a little more fully.

This kit is big, I'm guessing when the figure is fully assembled he is over a foot tall!! The quality of the plastic and molding is pretty poor and detail is very soft. The bits are covered with mold lines and knock out marks. As I moved forward I was a bit worried that perhaps the endless sanding would scare me away but I have persevered thus far.

Some basic shots:

I then started to get a bit more inventive with my methods of covering the gaps. As I started to use the sheet styrene, I imagined in my head a droid that had seem some action, perhaps even a salvaged one. After all this is sci-fi and anything goes right?

An ugly seam on the back of the legs:

And one on the torso:

I will try and take some more shots in the next day to prove that further progress has been made!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 12:31 PM
vBench

Also some shots from the movies. I do not like the light yellow/tan color of the first episode and favor a bit more the red scheme of the second movie. However, I think I am going to go with a green hue to represent droids in a forest environment.

Sorry if this is a bit "off-topic", but might be of help to others struggling out there. Also if you want to get technical, the droid does have "armor" on it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 AM
vBench

Well good luck to you Stuke! Hope something fires ya up with this. But don't be to hard on yourself- with the hours you work it's only natural that you wouldn't get much modelling done- I know I don't when I'm working on a show. I haven't built any StarWars stuff- don't really get off on that stuff to much- I'm more of a 2001: A Space Odyssey type a guy with science fiction movies. But each to their own. I have no problem with this robot being considered armour- sometimes it's good to do something just for fun! I did this one ten years ago or so...

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 04:26 AM
vBench

G'day Fellas.

Mate its not that far off topic at all.......the pic of the battle drioids going straight from the factory to the battle field painted only on red primer sounds strangly familiar.

I wonder where the inspiration for that came from.......

Willy.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:01 PM
vBench

Thanks for looking guys. Willy, I've heard that theory lately about the good ol' droids and primer red!!

Here's a shot of all the bits so far. Just need to finish my customization and we are on to painting!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 04:59 PM
vBench

Roger Roger

Hey Stuke,
Lookng forward to seeing this one finished, i trust youre going to go hard on the CHEEPS!

Sam

(yeah i figured you werent being rude and not replying to my emails!)
Old 06-15-2005, 03:33 AM
vBench

Hi Sam!

Yes mate, it's going to be Cheeps Ahoy on this one!

Some more progress over the past week or so. Yeah, pretty slow going....

I've got all the various styrene "extras" added. Again this is to represent added on armor, or patches to the droid. Also some of it is just to fill in or hide the nasty gaps in the model.

Shots of the torso:

And the "backpack":

A leg:

And the head:

I thought that I was about ready to begin painting, but of late there has been some amazing builds over on starshipmodeler of this kit. Included are some nice weapons. I decided that my little droid had to have weapon of his own.

I've never scratched something completely, especially something like this. So I am just rolling with my imagination on this one. Work thus far consists of only the barrel and the basic shape of the body. I have lots more to add:

I will prime the main body tomorrow and continue scratching the gun as I wait for the paint to cure for a few days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 05:06 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey Stuke,
wondering why I missed this thread...
Looks very nice, I hope you will post an update soon!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2005, 08:30 AM
vBench

Wow this is pretty neat, good job so far!