Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Awesome work so far. Your PE-handling is admirable

Johannes
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Very nice work you have created so far.

A few comments that you can either use or ignore as you want.

On the small cabinet where the radio is installed, there is a mounting plate for the transformer right behind the rack (reference from the Patton Museum vehicle) thats where the radio cables has to go.

The casting marks on the transformer cover are way, way too big. They where quite small, but yet still large enough to be visible from above the vehicle so it would be wrong to remove them (or like Dragon, not to include them )

The battery case seems to be at the very front of the fender cover (again as per the Patton vehicle. There seems to be a bracket that secured the batteries from falling out of the rack.

Dont know if any of the above will be usefull to you, but as said you can ignore it if you want.

Greetings from Denmark

torben Nielsen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
"On the small cabinet where the radio is installed, there is a mounting plate for the transformer right behind the rack (reference from the Patton Museum vehicle) thats where the radio cables has to go."

i'd love to see what you're talking about here. Do you have any references or pics of this?

"The casting marks on the transformer cover are way, way too big. They where quite small, but yet still large enough to be visible from above the vehicle so it would be wrong to remove them (or like Dragon, not to include them )"

I may add some casting markings here but not sure if I want to bother with it or not. I agree that the tiger models transmission has some very large markings. they would be nearly as large as your hand in scale.

"The battery case seems to be at the very front of the fender cover (again as per the Patton vehicle. There seems to be a bracket that secured the batteries from falling out of the rack."

I believe you're referring to something similar to what the Griffin PE set calls for. The pics in this thread of the transmission cover and the batteries are of the tiger models update which I don't have. I'm debating whether to even worry about the batteries at all since they are located in a spot where they are very hard to see so I'll probably just leave them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
vBench

Hi Chad

Sure I have some reference on the transformer mounting plate. Just need a little time to find it.

If you decide to open the front hatch on the vehicle, then you really should add some kind of battery as they will be visible through the open hatch. If you dont open the hatch then no one will ever notice if you leave them off.

IAs for the casting marks, I would either get some small photoetch letters to attach or leave them off completely. The Tiger Models cover is too odd looking, and for some reason, I believe that their batteries are too small for this vehicle.

How are you planning on painting it? will you recreate the original factory paint scheeme seen on all the sdkfz 234/4s or do you have other plans?

I enjoyed the Panzer IV you did earlier, so I am confident that you will do justice to my favorite german vehicles - the sdkfz 234 series

Torben
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Gentlemen,

The batteries and transmission cover are from Tank Workshop (TWS) not Tiger Models. I do agree that the markings are too large. As for the batteries themselves, I was unaware that there would be several sizes.

Regards

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
vBench

you're right, don't know where i was coming up with tiger models. i am not opening the front hatch so there isn't much visibility in there anyway so i'll probably pass on the batteries. should get some pics up tomorrow to show you guys where i'm at on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
vBench

Here are a few pictures for you.

Need to say that the pictures of the Sdkfz 234 was taken for me by a good friend, Chun Lun Hsu. He has been very helpfull in assisting me when I needed info about the 234 at Patton.

The Stug IV battery pictures was given to me by Przemek Wojdas

Thanks goes to both of them!!!

To start out with the battery. The TWS batteries just look small to me. There are not many surviving german batteries left today, but I found some pictures from a Stug IV recovered somewhere in Poland. That vehicle still had its original 3 batteries.

the reason that I think the TWS bateries are too small are this picture from the Patton 234/4, which, I believe, shows the location of the batteries inside the 234.

As for the radio cabinet, here are a few pictures of the cabinet and the mounting plate for the transformer. The round metal ring on the left side of the rack is for a round loudspeaker that could be mounted inside it.

On the backside of the cabinet is a plug of some kind, most likely for the transformer.

the cable goes around the driver to the battery location.

I hope this will be usefull to you. If need more just drop me a line and I will see if I can help you.

Greetings from Denmark
Torben

Last edited by Torben Nielsen; 01-08-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added photocredits for the pictures
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
vBench

that's good stuff man....

any idea how this is routed to the battery side? does it just go right into the end of that bin that runs along the left side of driver's position?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
vBench

I am not 100 pct sure, but I think it is the cable that comes from the left and goes into the connection box, or what ever we should call it. It is located to the left of the driver, in the cabinet below the storage bin.

The cable continues to the battery.

I was once wondering about the main switch box on the right side wall beside the driver. thought it was a strange devide to put there, but I have found out that the exact same switch is also installed in the Tiger I and II, which therefor lead me to believe that the batteries must be somewhat like those installed in the Tiger tanks, but I dont know for sure.

Torben
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Nielsen View Post
therefor lead me to believe that the batteries must be somewhat like those installed in the Tiger tanks, but I dont know for sure.
Torben,

This means that the battery should fit within a bracket which is 550mm x 358mm... I don't know if I have a TWS set to check the size of those included.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top