Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 PM

We are beginning to "Gear Up" the figures, this can be very confusing because there seems to be very little standardazation from Marine to Marine. The Marine Corps Historical Branch has provided us with several hundred color photos from the O.I.F. campaign and I swear that no two Marines are dressed alike? Especially in the more recent battles (referred to as O.I.F.-II). It has been reported that the MOLLE web gear failed miserably and the Marines in the field were forced to make field modifications to it to get it to be useable at all. A new type of web gear was hurridly designed and rushed over to IRAQ. My stateside contacts say that they never even saw it and have no idea what it looks like. A fair amount of "personally purchased" aftermarket gear has also found it's way to the battlefield in IRAQ.

All input, even spirited/lively debate is helpful, so please feel free to contribute. As my friend Dan Clover always says, "It's all good". We will keep you posted on the progress of these first four figures. Then it's on to a USMC AAVP7/AFV O.I.F. Vehicle Crew for Warriors.

UUUURRRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

David & Bill

By the way, the first color photo shown above is an Army 3rd ID trooper in IRAQ on April 3rd of '04. I can't tell, but it looks like he has the old style tubular stock on his weapon? Or is this a different weapon? The second photo is of a Marine on patrol in IRAQ in August of '04.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 06:17 PM

that is the first time I have ever seen a US Marine use a SAW with the old style stock. Never saw one during my service, I thought they were all upgraded during the PIP following the first Gulf War. Would be interesting to hear why he is using it or how it came back? into service.

Again, the figs look great. The OIF AAV crew has me really excited!

Melon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
vBench

hey Guys,
That 3 ID trooper looks like he has the para version of the SAW. It has a collapsable stock.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/l...-short-saw.gif
Cheers,
Bryan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM

It looks like the Short SAW, but it has a regular barrel. Can't see why you couldnt put regular barrel on a Short version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon@Feb 1 2005, 06:17 PM
that is the first time I have ever seen a US Marine use a SAW with the old style stock. Never saw one during my service, I thought they were all upgraded during the PIP following the first Gulf War. Would be interesting to hear why he is using it or how it came back? into service.

Again, the figs look great. The OIF AAV crew has me really excited!

Melon
Yeah, that's the first one I've seen in USMC use, since the '90s, also.

I too, wonder what it's story is.

Am I seeing things, or is that a picatinny rail on the reciever?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Founder

http://www.thesupplybunker.net/weapo...chine_guns.htm

^ there's some more good shots
Old 02-01-2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazman@Feb 1 2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that's the first one I've seen in USMC use, since the '90s, also.

I too, wonder what it's story is.

Am I seeing things, or is that a picatinny rail on the reciever?
Yes it would appear so. NOW thats a weapon with a story behind it. A version of a SAW that hasnt seen USMC service in 10 years shows up in Iraq with a sight rail on the upper reciever??????

Same with the first photo with the 3rd ID guy. A Short SAW with a long barrel. The armorers in Iraq must be having some fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by melon@Feb 1 2005, 11:58 PM
Yes it would appear so. NOW thats a weapon with a story behind it. A version of a SAW that hasnt seen USMC service in 10 years shows up in Iraq with a sight rail on the upper reciever??????

Same with the first photo with the 3rd ID guy. A Short SAW with a long barrel. The armorers in Iraq must be having some fun.
Well from what I understand most of the USMC equipment came from Prepostioned equipment that was sitting around...so that would explain the werid variations of equipment out there. I've seen NATO Camo, Soild NATO green and Sand colored USMC Abrams in Iraq also.
Reply With Quote top