Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM
camokid's Avatar
camokid camokid is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Just outside Providence
Posts: 274
My fav?

The Longest Day.

Second place?

A Bridge Too Far.

Third place?

Saints and Soldiers.

Honorable Mentions go to Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brothers series. Both are visually stunning and are light years beyond the others but I still prefer the classics.

As an aside, I have tried more than once to sit through Kelley's Heroes but I just can't seem to make it all the way through. Both that movie and The Big Red One make me want to dig my eyes out with rusty forks.
__________________
Ken

Build how you like, like how you build.

Reply With Quote top
  #32  
Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Ropi's Avatar
Ropi Ropi is offline
vBench
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Szeged, Hungary
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
As an aside, I have tried more than once to sit through Kelley's Heroes but I just can't seem to make it all the way through. Both that movie and The Big Red One make me want to dig my eyes out with rusty forks.
Why? Kelly's Heroes is not really about the war itself, and the fighting, it's abou thieves in wartime! Don't take it seriously... if it's about the things used to represent the tigers and so(in both films), that was the best way to represent some kind of "German-looking" armor, because I hardly think they could have put a T-34 in a Tiger look (like they did in SPR) in the seventies....
__________________
There is no kill like overkill.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
  #33  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
camokid's Avatar
camokid camokid is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Just outside Providence
Posts: 274
It's nothing more than my opinion Ropi, I'm sorry if it offends anyone.

I just can't seem to enjoy either of those films I mentioned and I've tried multiple times, I own both on DVD.

I don't think the year it was filmed has as much to do with what you mentioned as perhaps say, the budget might have? A Bridge Too Far (1977) was filmed before The Big Red One (1980) and has more accurate looking vehicles. Of course that doesn't have much to do with it, I'm only addressing your question.

When I imagine The Big Red One in my mind, all I can see is the beach landing scene complete with landing craft sound effects, no landing craft, and twenty guys running in the surf. Again I apologize, I just personally find the movie to be of poor quality.
__________________
Ken

Build how you like, like how you build.


Last edited by camokid; 05-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #34  
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Panther F's Avatar
Panther F Panther F is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 189
Re: Favorite war movies

I think it's interesting to know why certain movies don't do it for certain people. I never look to get something out of one, just try to have an open mind about it.

Rusty forks aye?
Reply With Quote top
  #35  
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
camokid's Avatar
camokid camokid is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Just outside Providence
Posts: 274
I guess I'm close minded then, as I do seek to get something out of movies when I watch them, entertainment, enjoyment etc. All I've said is that I get neither from both and now I feel like I have to defend myself...

I really regret posting in this thread.

Take care planeteers.
Reply With Quote top
  #36  
Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Markus's Avatar
Markus Markus is offline
vBench
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Germersheim/Germany
Posts: 688
Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
If there is one war-movie I canīt stop looking, then it is "Das Boot".
Besides that, I would say "Stalingrad" and "The Downfall".
All three of them depict the war as it should be depicted, dark.
I really love this movies.
Reply With Quote top
  #37  
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Ropi's Avatar
Ropi Ropi is offline
vBench
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Szeged, Hungary
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
It's nothing more than my opinion Ropi, I'm sorry if it offends anyone.
Oh no, no offense, I was just interested...
__________________
There is no kill like overkill.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
  #38  
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM
alanmac's Avatar
alanmac alanmac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by camokid View Post
I guess I'm close minded then, as I do seek to get something out of movies when I watch them, entertainment, enjoyment etc. All I've said is that I get neither from both and now I feel like I have to defend myself...

I really regret posting in this thread.

Take care planeteers.
Hey, you shouldn't regret posting. It takes all tastes to make the world go round. Films are like musical tastes or anything that's an art form, different people like different things.

Some of the war films I loved watching as a kid on television or taken to the cinema with my Dad I can't bear to watch now, the hammy acting, cliqued lines and poor models make me switch off.

I caught a bit of 633 Squadron at Christmas I think it was on the television and couldn't bear it but loved it back at its release.

Take care.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
  #39  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM
panzervor's Avatar
panzervor panzervor is offline
vBench
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22
Thumbs up I'm surprised .... not mentioned

Hey Guys,

First post !!

th top ones for me have already been mentioned. One i saw that looked interesting... Max Manus.. has that been released on D.V.D. yet ?? looks good .

Classics:
Guns of Navarone
Force 10 from Navarone
Big Red One
Kelly's Hero's
Where Eagles Dare
Battle of th Bulge
Inglorious Bastards-(th Original) huh remember that one ???
Apocalypse Now
Platoon

Newer Ones:
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (series)
Saints and Soldiers- not mentioned...??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us-0akvhbFE

When Trumpets Fade - not mentioned ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJ9l2gPWIo

These are really Good. not on par with Saving Private Ryan( 1 of my favs.) but very cool subject matter .

I'm really lookin forward to Quinton Terrintinos new one..
Inglorious Bastards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ



ERIK
Reply With Quote top
  #40  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 AM
camokid's Avatar
camokid camokid is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Just outside Providence
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzervor View Post
Hey Guys,

First post !!

th top ones for me have already been mentioned. One i saw that looked interesting... Max Manus.. has that been released on D.V.D. yet ?? looks good .

Classics:
Guns of Navarone
Force 10 from Navarone
Big Red One
Kelly's Hero's
Where Eagles Dare
Battle of th Bulge
Inglorious Bastards-(th Original) huh remember that one ???
Apocalypse Now
Platoon

Newer Ones:
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (series)
Saints and Soldiers- not mentioned...??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us-0akvhbFE

When Trumpets Fade - not mentioned ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJ9l2gPWIo

These are really Good. not on par with Saving Private Ryan( 1 of my favs.) but very cool subject matter .

I'm really lookin forward to Quinton Terrintinos new one..
Inglorious Bastards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ



ERIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by camokid View Post
My fav?

The Longest Day.

Second place?

A Bridge Too Far.

Third place?

Saints and Soldiers.


Honorable Mentions go to Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brothers series. Both are visually stunning and are light years beyond the others but I still prefer the classics.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=31

.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Games gordy Gamers Corner 26 11-02-2009 05:28 PM
Flash movies Hagar planetArmor General 0 09-04-2006 08:24 AM
Your Most Favorite Panzer IV of all time! RC_Hill Axis: World War II 9 06-01-2006 05:59 PM
Your Most Favorite Panzer of all Time! RC_Hill planetArmor General 4 05-02-2006 01:13 PM
What is your favorite Armor subject? Old Ford dude Jeff planetArmor General 20 10-07-2004 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Advertise with Us

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
planetArmor