Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 PM
vBench

okay let's stay with the kit- I will delete or edit any posts that start getting off track. Don't want to hear anything about pricing or marketing. Just from people who have built the kit or have it on hand for examination.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 08-24-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 PM

Hi James

Since reading the thread you mentioned the other day I've looked at it again and as you can see Terry Ashley has responded to that post and really confirms what Laurence has said, it fits but needs careful alignment. Judging by the models I've seen of yours here and around I'd say its going to be a breeze with your capabilities.

If the procedure does not reap any great enhancement to the kit over another I don't know and is a whole different debate. What surprises me with all of the kits is with such big hatches no one has chosen to include a detailed interior. I guess we wait for the aftermarket boys to sort that out.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
vBench

Thumbs up I've got it and have built about half

of the total build. I had spoken with LQ off line before I started mine and knew to be careful going into it. That being said, I hava had no problems with assembly. I have noted a couple of mis-numbered parts in the intstructions (on the leaf spring assemblies for instance - there is only one number for the left and a 2nd for the right, versus the 7, 8, 9 and 10 shown in the diagram).

Okay - I am not the best builder around, and by progressing slowly, having the lower hull and mud guards in place for checking angles, I had zero issues with the superstructure. I followed the instruction sequence with the excepton of placing the hull roof "frame" (the deal with the little scallops) up into the the assembled side walls last. It slips in nicely after the fact. I knew that I would have to add weld seams to the join between the main side armor and the cheek armor, so I sanded them down (would that be champhering?) so I can drop a weld bead in there. The plastic is a fairly soft styrene (requiring a bit of edge maintenance here and there), but with Tamiya green bottle and a little finger pressure fits together very nicely - I have had to use almost no putty at this point.

As I am attempting to do an interior, I have dry fit the roof panel, and to emphasize LQ's point, THE ROOF SHOULD OVERHANG. Work with the top plate a little, knock off the locating pin, and Roberto is your children's mother's sibling.

I found the gun to be both a very nice piece of work, but one that to assemble correctly, needs patience, as there are some very tiny parts - one of your biggest risks is breaking when cutting the protective recoil railing off of the sprue. Dry fit the long "the shell rests on this" thingy that the recuperators fit to (between the barrel and the two tubes), as I tried to screw mine up.

Sorry for the lack of pictures - but I'm just way to busy for the next couple of weeks. I like the kit, James. Oh - and I may even have an extra non-Tristar German crewman if someone needs it...

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM
vBench

FWIW I think its a great kit. Doesnt fly together like a DML one, but generally went together well - I slammed mine together before speaking to LQ offline and realising I could have done a couple of things differently

Sam
(also slowly working on the DML one and an impressed with it too)
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
vBench

Thanks for the input Sam.
Quote:
I slammed mine together before speaking to LQ offline and realising I could have done a couple of things differently
Any chance either one of you could share this info with us?

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM

Tristar kit

After "flying together" the Tamiya version for a group build a few days ago and seeing these built pictures it has to be a must have now. Very detailed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
Thanks for the input Sam.

Any chance either one of you could share this info with us?

HI James - nothing that LQ hasnt already contributed to the discussion - I would have done the rear superstructure/side armor joins a little better!

Sam
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM
vBench

Thanks Sam.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
vBench

Thumbs up Ditto

James,

My point was that I talked to LQ before building, and as a result knew to look for the points he has been sharing here. There just aren't any big glitches - beyond the wheels issue - that would keep me from getting this kit again. And on that point, when you look at the wheels - you can't tell the difference unless you are at just the right angle. It is also really well set up for interior work - for anyone who wants to tackle it.

I'm more inclined toward the post Vienna versions as I am an Italy conflict nut - and am really looking forward to their next one. I'll likely get a DML as well at some point - this is my favorite AFV, and I have been waiting for these ever since I started modeling again (I broke into modelling with the Monogram 1:32 version a thousand years ago - and have only had the R&J resin to get through in the interim).

Looking for a Terry Ashley side by side next...

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
vBench

Hi Guys,

I am working too on the Tristar StuPa (almost finished ; OOTB).
It's a nice kit, very detailed and I had no problem during the assembly.
I didn't use any putty, it's just necessary to be attentive and to take care on several points.

On the other hand, the instructions are pitiful, even more imprecise than the worst from Dragon...
It's a great shame !

I have the project to do corrected instructions asap, in a bilingual version (French/English).
I shall post them here when they will be finished.

On my boxart, it's also indicated "Figure included". An mistake, certainly...

Some photos, taken a few days ago...

Cheers,

Bruno "Le Tourbeux" GILARD
Reply With Quote top