Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Ok, so I'm rebuilding the rear plate and need some technical assistance. The actual rear idlers are mounted externally like the panzer IV chassis but with the added support of being run through the hull sides. As mentioned earlier, I had to sand all of the details off of the provided rear plate and am utilizing tiger II parts to replace them. The question is simple, given the rear idlers not being located inside of the hull, which of the rear plate hatches should I delete and which ones should I keep. I have in mind that only the two larger ones on the outside should be left off (#2) but just wanted to make sure before I start cutting. These were for idler adjustment right? I see no reason why the others wouldn't be appropriate, any thoughts? If anyone would like to give us all a technical explanation, please feel free.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
vBench

Well, I looked through some references and with that in mind, along with the knowledge of what parts had to be fitted on this rear plate, I ended up with this.......

Compared to the original.......

I think it's a definate upgrade. The idlers aren't glued on yet and in fact, will have to have a plate added behind them like the original kit part to space them out level with the hole in the lower hull part. I am going to add the KT photo etch parts to the rear also ie: jack mount, jack block and towing hooks.

I debated using the king tiger exhaust but couldn't resist the kit part. I don't want to use too much KT stuff, it needs to retain some originality. I cut the lower parts of the KT kit exhaust and grafted them to the lowe exhaust and will fill this area with putty to complete the joint. This will enable me to actually be able to glue it to the hull once completed and it be sturdy. I will be adding a raised top similar to that of the tiger as it makes no sense to have it facing upward with nothing to keep the rain out.

I started in on the lower hull and after much sanding, was able to start fitting the suspension. They holes in the hull are offset with one side going forward and the other backwards as you would expect but when I fitted the arms and wheels they were so badly off from one side to the other that the sprocket and front wheel wouldn't both fit on at the same time! After some deliberation, I got out the power drill and after carefully measuring and marking the hull, I redrilled all of the holes. The result was good as it seems to sit level and all of the wheels are touching the tracks so all is well. Just one of many major problems I'm sure to encounter before this is over. I suppose this has something to do with the dragon parts being used instead of the kit parts but that's just part of it. It looks pretty much like a JT to me as far as the length of it. I do have a question that I would like some input on. The drawing that I posted earlier of this vehicle with the KT running gear has the front wheel as an inner wheel and not an outer as with the KT and JT. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I doubt it would have been done any differently but it does look kinda cool.

As for the upper hull, I decided to go ahead and sand the sides smooth as the fender supports were destroyed in the process of sanding off the kit fenders which were in terrible shape. Shouldn't be a big deal to replace the fenders and braces with something better. The kit has them molded as one long piece which I find to be a bit unrealistic and unlike anything the germans designed to that point. As a result, I am planning to use multiple pieces along the edge to re-create the fenders instead of one. On the front, I sanded off both of the light wires and will replace the dual lights with one center mounted light as on the KT. I suppose two is better than one but the two lights looked too much like an early tiger or panther and I wanted to get away from that look. In that same light, I filled in the drivers vision flap which will be replaced with the top mounted KT part. This is a pretty viable progression in the KT design IMO as it has very similar lines with the exception of the round turret which looks pretty much like an enlarged hybrid IS-2/IS-3 turret.

I have essentially finished the turret with the addition of the lifting rings save for the pe parts for the muzzle break which will be from the aber KT set which has yet to arrive. I had to add quite a bit of ballast to the rear inside to make it hold up to the weight of that barrel.....

That's pretty much where I am now on this thing, I can only stand sanding so much in one sitting so this may take quite a while. The upper rear deck is what worries me the worst as I'm going to have to do some major surgery there so I'm saving that for a while. I'll keep you guys posted as things move along.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 PM
vBench

Wink

Major update on this project. I've made a lot of progress just havn't had time to sit down and take pics and post them so here goes. As you can see, the rear panel turned out pretty good and the KT parts look right at home. I scratched a top for the exhaust which turned out pretty good and all in all the rear, which was the worst part of this kit by far, turned out pretty darn good in my estimation.

The next matter at hand was the Aber pe set for the king tiger which was applied in pretty much the same way as for a KT. After all, the hull on this thing is pretty much an extended KT with very little differences so it looks the part.

The front of the hull did require some work as I had to fill the drivers' vision port as the flap mg in order to give it a more late war appearance. The ball mount looks much sleaker and the center mounted light instead of the two on the sides also gives it a more updated look. Also added the vent between the hatches, added the KT driver's vision parts and deleted a couple of standard vision block on the front. There were supposed to be two for the driver and three on the opposite side but again, I wanted to stick closer to what the KT looks like. The fenders and brackets were completely sanded off and scratch built. This wasn't too difficult but looks much better than the original parts. You can also see inside the hull on a few of these pics and see all of the braces that I put in it. The hull was warped and although I straightened it out with the hair dryer it was still in a little bit of a bind when it was all glued together is the correct position so I put braces inside in all directions. I could probably stomp on it now and it would hold up......... I still have a bit of work to do on the hull on the "passenger side" up front to clean up some bubbles but in do time.

The rear deck is a bit of a mess also and the provided parts are poorly molded (go figure). There isn't much detail at all with the kit so I added fuel fillers and as you may recall, the hinges for the engine hatch were rubbish so these were sanded off and replaced. The parts provided for the either side to fill the hatch above the fans/radiators, etc. were also poorly done and didnt' really fit (were too small). After much deliberation, I decided to try my hand at scratching these and so far, one side is complete and looks pretty good. This was done with evergreen plastic along with the KT fan covers. The mesh is the generic set from Aber. I've splashed it with some paint just to check it out and it looks pretty good. This was a major pain although it may not look like it now but I'm really not looking forward to trying to finish up the other side. Wouldn't have been so bad but for the front opening being rounded on one end.

So, here are some pics with the running gear installed just for kicks. Still a lot left to do but I couldnt' resist after all this work.

I found a figure from my old stash that looks right at home atop this lion. He's from S&T and you've probably seen him before but here's a close up. I only made a few minor alterations after clean up adding the pe atop for the headset and the wires. He's got a bubble on his nose that I've fixed, that's the putty you see in the pics.

That's all for now...... next update should be the last one once I've finished the other side of the rear deck and added a few more pe bits that I've been putting off. I don't normally do this kind of thing but you have to admit that this thing has one mean looking silhouette. Love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
vBench

Big beautyful beast!

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey Chad,
what an ugly beast this is .
Somewhat it reminds me of an JS-2.
Great work on this one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
vBench

Real nice work, Chad.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM
vBench

Long way to go yet but I've starting thinking about the paint scheme on this one and I'm really not sure what to do with it. I'd love to hear some ideas if anyone has any input. Considered a hard-edged 2 or 3 tone scheme or maybe doing it just in dark yellow with some primer bits and maybe camo'd up running gear from a KT/JT? Really don't know what to do with it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 AM
vBench

Looks nice Chad.

You really spiced this kit up.

Robert
Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 AM

That's some pretty nice work for what looks to be a rather crude bit of casting, I like the idea of an ambush scheme on that thing
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Metalhead #1

Send a message via MSN to skeletondude
Very nice, Chad!

Although I personally think that somekind of hard edge camo, like the Berlin brigade(Was it that one?) camo, would fit this one nicely.

Marek