Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Panzer VII

I thought that title might grab your attention. I've never been one to do this kind of thing as I've always stuck to the "real" thing but this one I just couldn't resist. I've been thinking about it for years and I finally just broke down and ordered one. There is just something about the style of this one that grabs me more than than most. Anyway, arrived today and the kit is a bit of a dog and I must say that although they are priced out of this world, it is about what expected. It does come with friul tracks and a machined barrel so I guess that is worth something. The whole thing is done in resin and I am going to have to rework it more than I would have liked. First, here are a few shots of what comes in the box.

The bones are there but most of the smaller parts I think I will find substitutes for or scratch and I may end up scratching the entire rear plate as it is somewhat of a disaster at first glance. The kit is made to represent a prototype vehicle with no tools or anything but I don't think that I really want to build it up this way. Since this was thought to be a replacement for the TII at one point, I think I'm going to pick up a TII kit to rob parts from and get the aber TII PE set. A similar configuration of tools and onboard equipment wouldn't be too far fetched? Even further, I was thinking of using the TII running gear in place of what is provided with the kit. The kit has what appear to be a simplified T1 wheel with rubber tires. As I planned to model this as a 44/45 developed vehicle, it would seem only logical that they would have used the wheels they already had and rubber was on it's way out the door anyway as shown with the panther and e-series tanks so these don't really fit the theme. The only scetches that I've ever seen of this vehicle did not detail enough to show what they may have looked like anyway. It is also interesting to note that the NC box art shows the first running wheel as being an "outer" and not a "mid" mounted wheel which seems contrary to the drawings and anything that I've ever seen on a German afv of the era. I was surfing the web and found this image which kinda gives you an idea of what this might look like with the TII running gear instead of the kit parts.

So, what do you guys think? Leave it bare or dress it up with full combat equipment? About the running gear situation?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
vBench

What the ???????????Chad.
Give us some history Please.
That thing would reach out and touch someone.LOL

....Tony....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
vBench

Not a whole lot to tell. This is one of those that never really left the drawing board. I posted a link to a general write up for your amusement. From all I can gather, it was being developed as a new heavy tank but was ultimately dropped in favor of the Maus. When the TII was being developed, the design resurfaced as a potential replacement or upgrade in the design of the TII. Again, this obviously never happened either. My logic would tell me that if a vehicle such as this with a similar design and appearance to the TII were to actually have been developed into a prototype and later a production vehicle, I think that many of the features and parts from the TII would likely have been used especially considering the late war push for standardized parts for ease of production (e series). This is why I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys thought of that approach.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerk...n-vii-lowe.htm

As for the build. So far I've been sanding and filling and then re-filling and re-sanding on the turret since I opened the box earlier this afternoon. I wanted to start on the turret as this is going to be by far the easiest part to build. This is going to take some serious effort but I'm excited for some good old fashioned modelling....... no "smart kit" here. I have decided upon further inspection that many of the smaller details will have to be removed and replaced as the molding process has taken it's told on lots of the smaller bits. Again, I think TII parts are going to be the direction I'm going to take so as to resemble the last pic posted above. I would love some input on what you guys think of both using the TII parts and also, whether I should add equipment or not......... Long way to go before I have to decide on anything serious but give it some thought.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Pnazer VII

Take a look on Track Link in the gallery.Go to German What If.Frank Forster did this kit and it might give you an idea of what you are dealing with.A question.Did you get it from New Connection directly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
vBench

Yea, I've actually talked with Frank about this kit already and I'm sure I will be emailing him a few more times before this is over. That's actually the only one of these kits I've ever seen built, anyone else? I had heard bad things about ordering from NC direct so I ordered from HistorexAgents but asked if they had it in stock first. I received a quick response and after I ordered they shipped the next day. Great service.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:06 PM
vBench

Work has begun......

First let's start with the GOOD......

The turret is pretty straight forward as the shell is one sold cast piece and then the mantlet is off course one piece. Around the bottom is where the casting blocks were attached and once removed it was chewed up a little but I filled with putty and sanded a few times and straightened it out. The green spots you see are the putty that I used. I sprayed it with some paint through the airbrush yesterday to check it and all appears to be in order. The texture was somewhat of an issue to my eye as it was very over stated with lots of what I would call pit marks in the surface. I sanded most all of this away and redid the texture with mr. surfacer 1000 and then sanded with some fine sandpaper to knock off the high spots. This was all after I had a bout with a few air bubbles! To me it looks a bit more in scale. The turret has been modified to what I think a production vehicle might look like as again, the kit is for a prototype and is very simplified. I changed out the cupola from the kit part which resembed a stug cupola (flat on top - looked primitive to me) which to me looks more appropriate. I added the close defense weapon to the roof and added some casting numbers to the mantlet. The casting numbers were made with numbers cut from tamiya sprues and glued in place prior to the mr. surfacer application. Per Sheeds prior suggestions regarding the guards for the vision blocks, I used thin brass plate instead of plastic which I must say, is a bit thinner and more realistic looking. Weld seems applied with masking tape and putty just like always. The kit parts were molded with the guard and block as one piece with no space between and this just looked clunky. I still havn't picked up a donor KT kit but when I do, I'm going to add the three lifting hooks to the roof as well. I also sanded off the mangled hinge for the gunners hatch and replaced it with a more sturdy item which I'm sure you will recognize.

Now for the BAD......

The upper and lower hull parts are not the greatest. As you can see, many of the parts have small defects that will be difficult to fix so I think I will just sand most of these off and replace them with parts from the Tamiya KT. The hinges for the engine hatch is a good example. Also, if you notice, the lower hull has about an 1/8 of an inch of resin attached to the bottom that I'm going to have to sand off! That should be a fun and time consuming job. No major issues though, just small things that any resin casting would have problems with. Doesn't appear to be warped much and should make for a good starting point. Obviously the fenders are no good but that should be an easy enough fix. Thinking of putting a ball mounted MG in the glacis and filling in the early panther style driver's flap and using the driver's top mounted viewer from the KT.

Lastly, the UGLY......

I don't think I need to say much here but as you can see, this rear plate is not in very good shape. Again, will probably just sand it smooth and start over.

I know I sound down on this kit but it is actually a fun challenge. Nice change of pace from the newer kits that just fall together for you right out of the box. This is one of my first experiences with an all resin kit and I don't know if this is on par with most or not but they are definately a bit more of a challenge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
vBench

Quote:
Nice change of pace from the newer kits that just fall together for you right out of the box. This is one of my first experiences with an all resin kit and I don't know if this is on par with most or not but they are definately a bit more of a challenge.
Hey Chad, pretty nice start to the thread. I can totally relate to your feeling that working with the resin and such is a nice change of pace from the usual. I'm enjoying the heck out of the resin kits that I'm working on now. They definately have their little quirks, but that's what keeps it interesting, aye?

For comparisons sake, I'm working on 2 Accurate Armour and 1 Resicast kit(s) and from what I can gather from your photos, the quality seems a few notches higher than what you are working with.

Enjoy yourself,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
vBench

Hi Chad,

I'm not exactly into "what ifs", but I'm sure this will turn into a nice project to follow.
I like your idea about spicing the thing up with TII parts.

But what a dog this kit is indeed. I have a couple of resin kits: finished, built halfway or in my stash, but neither of 'em is really great. Some resin manufacturers seem to have earned their right for existence, merely because they produce some special stuff that you can't get otherwise. Surely not because of the quality.

I know part of the fun is trying to get a kit together, but since resin kits don't come cheap, that crap backplate you got, shouldn't even have been packed into the box. And it's not like they produce hundreds of these things a day, to let them accidently be overlooked during packing.

Anyway, seems like you're heading for lots of fun, scratching and scrounging on this one.

Robert
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
vBench

I agree, I'm up for it but for the price you would expect a little bit better product. I suppose you have to consider that someone actually built the masters for these kits and produces them essentially one at a time. That's a lot of work that someone put it so I guess the price somewhat justified. However, for the money I would expect that care would be taken to ensure that the kit would be cast as crisply as possible. I'm sure the master rear plate was much nicer than the one in my kit. It will be fine when I finish with it but it shouldn't be quite that much work. Oh well, it's this kit or no kit for this and several other similar subjects so you have to bite the bullet. All that being said, I'm standing by my earlier comments that this is a fun project and I'm going to enjoy trying to "make a silk purse from a sow's ear."
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
vBench

This is a very cool project , I wish you strength with it.

Reply With Quote top