Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-17-2007, 06:06 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
thanks andrew

that rear plate looks great.... couple questions. i have done some prep work to do the same thing and i could see a couple problems that i was going to run into. how did the "fins" on the hull sides match up with your idler assembly? i wasn't sure how this was actually supposed to look. anyone happen to have a pic of a late panzer IV without the idler wheel in place? also, did you use the aber parts to build those idler assemblies? the early kit has the molded on parts on the rear plate and an extra set that are molded seperately and then i also have the aber set with the update set. there just aren't a whole lot of these being built! this is by far the weakest part of this kit, the rest of it appears to be pretty decent over all. i'm looking forward to getting past this obstacle. i'd love to see some more pics if you have any handy of the overall kit as you've built it and/or finished it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadperkins View Post
how did the "fins" on the hull sides match up with your idler assembly? i wasn't sure how this was actually supposed to look.
Fine from memory, remember I built this over 18 months ago

Could you get a set of idler castings from the DML Pz.IVE kit, they're pretty cheap on Ebay?

This is what it ended up looking like just before paint though the rundumfeur shields got remade.

As I mentioned off-line I think you have to choose a contemporary photo and work from that. Where's your StuG heading, west, east or Italia?

Regards - Andrew
Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 PM
vBench

very nice! any references for that travel lock? best i can figure the kit completely omits any type of travel lock and i've seen a couple different kinds but have no references that are really of any use ie: close enough to see any detail. was this similar one used on another vehicle? you said you re-did the shields for the remote mg, what did you use? lastly..... what's the deal with the wires hanging off the sides?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2007, 11:05 AM
vBench

Chad, for the travel lock refer to images on www.panzer.punkt.pl Actually you can see it in the images you posted of the Polish recovery above. The Panzer.punkt images are just clearer.

The wires are retaining the tarps. They were tied and the loose ends cut off after this shot was taken.

The shields were replaced with plastic card from memory.

Andrew
Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
vBench

Update....

Well, things are proceeding slowly with Dragon's "not so smart" stug IV. I decided to scratch the rear hull plate as this was my biggest gripe with this kit. It's not quite finished as I need to add the brackets for the tow hooks and some details on the upper plate but it's coming along. The brass exhaust parts were made from some thin sheet brass and everything else from evergreen and some spares. Up front, I added the hull extensions on either side since the kit seems to have left these out....... The towing parts are from the Tamiya panzer IV accessory kit which will prove well worth the $5 it costs. Aber fenders have been installed which is major pain but it should prove a nice upgrade on the finished model with some subtle damage. I have decided on somewhat of a hybrid early/late version as it seems that almost anything goes with these vehicles. I apologize for the poor pics but I didn't have my decent camera handy and wanted to give you guys an update. I will post more pics when the lower hull is finished and running gear in place. One bonus to this old kit is that the suspension can be made workable and I have done that so if I decide to make a base, it will adapt to the terrain nicely with the friul tracks. btw, that's pencil residue not a gap on the rear plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	777   Click image for larger version

Name:	front2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	778   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	779   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	780  
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Looking good Chad

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM
vBench

Nice work Chad

L2

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
vBench

the aber set contains a set of track hangers for the upper rear hull plate on the left side. anyone have any thoughts on these. i've pretty much given up on a specific vehicle as it's too difficult to find references from multiple angles so i'm just doing a mix and match of what i think would be reasonable. i'd like to put these one just to spice it up a bit but i don't have any reference shots to show they were actually put on a stug IV. i don't have a pic but they are on the rear upper hull plat on the far left side. anyone know what i'm talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
vBench

Nice start Chad!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
vBench

good stuff there!