Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
any thoughts on a hybrid "early/late". i'm not sure i want to tackle all of these issues........ perhaps, i'll make a "hybrid" as these things appear to have been built with all different types of configurations and i havn't found one actual pic of a late version as shown by these drawings. i havn't seen any with the late hull tow hooks as shown.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
vBench

any thoughts on how to attach spare links?

I posted this over at ML and wanted your input as well. So what gives? These things are all over the place and I don't see any visible wires or tie downs to speak of so perhaps there are brackets of some nature or are they merely welded in place. Unlike on some vehicles, these look to me to be for protection more so than spare parts so there wouldn't really be a need to remove them readily so maybe welding is more likely? Anyone have any insight into this. I want to armor my stug up but wanted to know how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iuyu.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	641   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtgyj.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	642  
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Theres some small metal posts that they're hanging off of. These are Stug IIIs but its the same way on the IV. One of these just has some small straight posts sticking up where as the other ones are more hook like. Both pics are from Achtung Panzer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stug IV 026.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	643   Click image for larger version

Name:	stug IV 027.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	644  

Last edited by ChrisP; 02-07-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added pics
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
vBench

Just in case anyone is interested....

I've been surfing around all night looking for some pics of the Stug IV, or at least the remains thereof, of the vehicle at The White Eagle Museum in Poland. I finally stumbled upon some so I thought I'd pass them along to any of you who havn't seen them before as they were all new to me. I have yet to find any other pics of preserved vehicles and really aren't sure there are any........... Apparently, these are a pretty rare bird as far as preserved vehicles. Unfortunately, this one doesn't appear to be in the best of shape but it's not a total wreck so these pics should be useful to some degree. There are no remnants of any zimmerit application that I can see and yet, it's definately not a "late" version so I suppose it's somewhere in the middle which is what I may shoot for in my build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	651   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	652   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	653   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	654   Click image for larger version

Name:	07070030.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	655  

Name:	07070033.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	656   Click image for larger version

Name:	07070040.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	657   Click image for larger version

Name:	stug4_1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	658   Click image for larger version

Name:	stug4_2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	659  
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 PM
vBench

good pics! I haven't seen those before, thanks for sharing! I like how the mantle is just sitting on the ground
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 AM
vBench

Cool pics

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 PM
vBench

Ok, guys I have to rant a moment......

well guys, the more i get into this kit the more i don't like it! the hull is what i'm having doubts about. i know dragon retooled their lower hulls at some point but it surely wasn't before this kit......the rear plate details are not good at all and there really isnt' much that could be done to fix them short of finding a substitute or building it from scratch. everything is molded on and there are multiple injector marks that will be hell to fill and sand without messing up the other details....... any suggestions? the running gear isn't great either but i'm not as concerned about that since i will be adding schurtzen. the wheels look pretty good after some clean up but the bogies are odd looking and have a gap between the molded on hull part and the round center piece on the bogie behind the wheels. the front sprocket wheel is not the best either...... another issue with the hull is at the front where the hull sides should extend a few inches but there is nothing there on the kit even though the front plate has a cut out on either side to allow for the protrusion. i can manufacture this part without a whole lot of trouble but thought i'd mention it. i would be willing to buy another kit for donor parts if it was cheap enough but i'd rather not have to do that. anyone have any brilliant ideas as to what i should do. i'm going to build this one way or another i just don't want to get too deep into and decide i went the wrong way. i don't suppose anyone makes a rear hull plate for a panzer IV? even if i made a new one from scratch i'd still be short of parts for the idler assemblies. they are molded on and are very poorly done so i wouldn't want to go through the trouble of removing them from the old piece and ruining a new one with them........ anyone got any spare parts that might be suitable they would sell? sorry for the venting, but i'm just ready to start building this kit and i can't decide whether i should settle on these poor details or not. i can put on friuls and multiple aber sets, barrel etc., but it'll always have a junky rear plate!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 AM
vBench

I awoke this morning with renewed hope. I will scratch build the rear hull plate and make it work. Will keep you guys posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 AM
vBench

Chad

Check out Tiger Models (http://www.tigermodels.com/) They make a Panzer IV rear plate that might help. Aber set for the Pz IV ausf F1, F2 and G also have the idler housing in PE.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2007, 03:50 PM
vBench

Chad,

As mentioned sorry I missed the start of your 'blog'.

This is what I did, rebuilt the rear plate. It sounds more intensive than it was.

Andrew