Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Brokeneagle

I got a bit bored today and did not feel in the mood for model building, so I thought I would finally start a post on my Karl project which has been dragging on for about a year and a half. I keep going back to it in between other stuff that I am going back to, in between everything else!

This WIP actually started before Nov 2004 as I built and modified the Dragon version when it came out. I was 90% finished when the wholesaler for Trumpeter asked me to build their version for the Melbourne Toy and Hobby fair in April 2005. They delivered me a massive box with plenty o' plastic for free so I was 'wrapped'. Once I started I soon realised how superior the Trumpeter version was over the DML one. I was stunned at all the extra effort Trumpeter had gone to in the area of the gun cradle, loader, mantlet detail and shape as well as the torsion bar area underneath the gun cradle. This kit also offers the 040 and the 041 in the same kit, as well as the option to have it on tracks or on the rail transport. Don't let anyone kid you on this, the Trumpeter kit is WAYYYYY better than the DML. So much so that I boxed my DML with various scratch items and brass railings because I was so disappointed with their level of accuracy and detail.
So, having got that out of my system I had 4.5 months to do a 'spanking' job on a model that had a box a foot high to accomodate the amount of plastic sprues contained within. They only wanted it built OOTB so I had to plan how I could do that but leave my options open for a dio after the fair was over. I decided to add extra track from my Trumpeter Leopold to allow me to put an extra carriage or figures in later. The Leopold has heaps of track to spare and I had decided to do the build as the version attached to the rail transport carriages to fully display the potential of the kit.
I was a bit short on ref's so I used what I could get.
Allied and Axis Issue 9.
.....................and a ref borrowed from a freind.....
AFV number 12.
This last ref from Jentz has some pretty cool shots of the Long barrel version. Except for the barreland the loading craddle, all the other details are the same as the stubby.
If you thought this is probably a boring kit, it's not. Its about the biggest tank you'll get and it can be made to look real tough given a bit of attitude - see the following photo's and you'll see what I mean.
I would love either DML or Trumpeter to do the MK4 based loader as well. I hope they have it on their list!

Here is a photo of the stubby version from Axis and allied.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 06-21-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Brokeneagle

I started with the carrages that support the monster when it was travelling by rail.

These have a lot of small parts but the detail is all there and very good.

The main drive wheels are well detailed and even allow for the outer caps to be left off to show the planetry sprockets inside
Trumpeter provide a base for the track that sits at a nice height but the construction of the track over the long distance, intergrated with the base, makes it a bit 'dicey'.
I ended up supporting the shape by glueing strip plastic supports on the inside of the bevelled edge, accross every section join and this stabalised and strengthened it enough. I then had to putty up the drops in levels between each section on the outer side to 'fix - up appearances.

I added this to a wooden base and then ordered a perspex top for the sucker as it was way to big for my cabinet.
I also added some ground work to the tracks as the moulded detail just needed something more. The track detail though is very good right down to the securing pins.
These shots were taken before my new camera so you will have to live with the wicked photo's until it gets to the build stage were I replaced it. Sorry!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:48 AM
vBench

I would love too build one of these babies myself but dont know if i have the patience or gluttony for self punishment that is required by us lesser mortals of average modelling skills !

In other words Awesome model Ian ! more photos please

oh and my Stug is on hold now for a few weeks as i get married next saturday !

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 03:13 PM

" the Trumpeter kit is WAYYYYY better than the DML "

You could not have said it better ....
Have you considered , posting some pics of your Dragon kit , yet ?
It could help some of us trying to give it a half-decent built...[COLOR=blue]

Just my two cents , though.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by Plushy@Mar 12 2006, 02:48 AM
oh and my Stug is on hold now for a few weeks as i get married next saturday !

CONGRATULATIONS James, the big step. Good luck with it all and I hope you have a great day.
The Stug can wait I think --- just a little while anyway :lol: .
Old 03-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by loneranger20@Mar 12 2006, 07:13 AM
Have you considered , posting some pics of your Dragon kit , yet ?
Mike,
I will post some compare shots were I can but a lot of my DML has been ratted for other things. I will show what I can between the two kits. I hope this will help. If you are building the DML version the AFV 12 mag is a great ref. The article is on the DML details and what you need to fix to make it more presentable, though I did find a problem with the overall look and the ride height above the tracks. I fiddled and cut and added plastic but I could not get it to look right. The Trumpeter though looked spot on without any Mods. Can't put my finger on what it was though.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks Ian....

http://users.ejnet.ne.jp/~enoki/sub1-5.html

This link , has some very good pictures , on what 's wrong with the dragon Kit.

Unfortunately , i canot translate from japanese.
If evereything else fails , i will look into the AFV option...

The exaust vent ,besides the driver compartment , seems a pretty good flaw in my opinion ,which requires a little bit of surgery.
If you look at the Trumpeter kit , it matches the pictures taken from the Treblinka museum.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Brokeneagle

Mike,
yep that's a great reference. As you can see the amount of work is quite substantial. This guy has done a fantastic job and has gone further than I did, however, I find it strange after all that work that he has not modified the gun mantlet and shape etc as this is wrong.
Thanks for the link and I think a mixture of these photo's and the AFV mag would be all you would need to build it right.......or spend the same money and by the Trumpeter version and miss out on all the heartache!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Brokeneagle

Some comparison shots between the two kits.
Mainly just for interest but hopefully to help someone make the right choice.
I have had to take the photo's after I have used most of the sprue. I had an extra sprue for the Trumpeter gun as the original had a badly formed housing and wholesalers replaced that sheet of sprue for me.

I will start with whats left of my modified DML loading cradle and show it against an undercoated Trumpeter [grey].

.................................................. ...............

.................................................. .............

I was still in the process of cutting out the molded rollers and adding scratched ones . It has been pulled apart as well which doesn't help.

The difference in detail, shape and length can be seen clearly on all these parts.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:02 PM

http://geraet040.web.infoseek.co.jp/karl_top-e.html

This is another interesting link , for those interested...

Cheers
Reply With Quote top