Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 AM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,

Quote:
And I don't think the box states that a figure is included. The box art has a figure painted in but it doesn't say it comes with a figure. Is there a different box art for Canada?
I am looking at the box right now, and on the bottom right of the box it states

Quote:
Photo Etching parts included Figure included
I am in Toronto on business until the 29th when I get home I will post a picture. I will also send the photo to Tristar to see if they will send a figure.

"The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease.... often it gets replaced."
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 01:34 AM
vBench

Thanks Laz for the info-

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 02:48 AM
Metalhead #1

Send a message via MSN to skeletondude
Well, usually the Tristar and DML kits end up being the same price here, about 50 dollars, now I'm waiting for Siim to correct me, if I'm wrong.

But Rod, I don't understand, how could that text be there, because I asked a friend to look at his box, and there was nothing like that...

Marek
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 AM

I seem to remember when this kit was announced that shortly afterwards a slightly different boxart image was shown, so that may be where the figure part came into it. Certainly looking on Tristars shop site the image of the boxart does indeed say figure included down in small lettering on the right hand lower black area, but it's widely known that one is not included.

http://www.tristar-model.com/Shop/
Click on Injection Kits, then Tristar logo to get their page, then when page opens click on image to get a bigger version.

As James has stated he doesn't want this to turn into a knocking thread but curious about how Tristar's concept to show the armour thickness etc works out from a practical build point of view.

I'd say looking at the images provided by Lawrence, not as easy as putting a one piece section on the chassis but nothing that shouldn't beyond the capabilities of anyone who regards themselves as a model maker.

I'd be happy building either and surely it makes a nice change to see and try a different approach by another manufacturer to assembling a kit.

Alan

Last edited by alanmac; 08-24-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 AM

Hi
Briefly touching on Rod's point about price, it varies so much worldwide as such I don't think you can judge a kit by just comparing its price, if for example you did want to say one was better than the other, more detailed etc. for the same money.

To illustrate the point, here in the UK I can buy from UK based companies the Dragon Brumbar for 31.95 + postage. It tells me the R.R.P. for that kit in the UK would be 35.50. The Tristar kit is 25.95 + postage but doesn't quote a R.R.P.

The old Tamiya kit is 12.59.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman-vc View Post
I wish I would have read this post before I went to the hobby shop today.

I should have waited for the early DML Sturmpanzer, as Tristar kits end up being about $25.00 to $30.00 more than Dragon/DML kits here in Canada.

I have not started to assemble the kit yet. But just at first look the tracks are going to require more work than Dragon magic tracks.

On the cover of the box it states a figure in included, mine did not include a figure nor do the instructions mention a figure what so ever.

This is the first Tristar kit in there Panzer IV series that I have purchased, and probably the last.
Not trying to start a riot here, but that would be more than enough for me to return it for the DML kit! That's just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Not trying to start a riot here, but that would be more than enough for me to return it for the DML kit! That's just my opinion though.
What because a figure was missing ?

It may well have been the case that some boxes with the incorrect artwork slipped through the manufacturing process, which can happen to any manufacturer but I hardly think it's worth returning the whole kit for, after all isn't that what you wanted in the first place.

Not wanting to start a riot either I could with the saving on the Tristar kit buy a box of four figures to go with my Brumbar but that's not the point of this thread, it's about the build approach differences.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
vBench

Alan,

Quote:
As James has stated he doesn't want this to turn into a knocking thread but curious about how Tristar's concept to show the armour thickness etc works out from a practical build point of view.

I'd say looking at the images provided by Lawrence, not as easy as putting a one piece section on the chassis but nothing that shouldn't beyond the capabilities of anyone who regards themselves as a model maker.

I'd be happy building either and surely it makes a nice change to see and try a different approach by another manufacturer to assembling a kit.
I agree I don't want to turn this into a knocking thread ethier. I fact I think I will buy the Dragon kit now and build them both. I am disapointed with the price of the Tristar Kit and the lack of figure even though the box states that a figure is inclulded.

Panther F,

Quote:
I don't think that the fact that the figure is not in the box is the fault of the hobby shop, and as far as pricing goes the online shops in Canada all seem to have it priced any where from $75 to $85 dollars.

Lawrence,

Quote:
$25-$30 more is very expensive. I don't know the pricing mechanism in Canada but the prices in HK for both DML and Tristar kits are similar. You may wish to consider buying online from HK
I did some quick research on the web, I normally only buy accessories from the online shops, as most hobby shops in Edmonton don't carry a lot of photo etch, figures, track sets, etc. You are correct the kit is about the same price from Lucky Hobby. The Dragon kits are within a couple of bucks to what there sell for in the hobby shops here in Canada (when you include shipping). In the past I have tried to buy kits at my locale hobby shop. Guess its time to re think that.

Thanks for the information you have posted it will be helpful when I get back home and start on this kit.

"The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease.... often it gets replaced."

Last edited by sherman-vc; 08-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 AM
vBench

The wording in English regarding the figure is a mistake. The Japanese text is correct and obviously we can't all be expected to be able to read Japanese. I have however seen the box art with the correct wordings "Figure Not Included" in English. So it could be a batch of kits that went out with the incorrect box.

I couldn't agree more with Alan. I wouldn't return a kit or never buy another kit from the manufacturer for the sake of a missing figure. Are we buying a kit for the figure or the vehicle? I'm sure most people know of other manufacturers who have made even bigger screw-ups.

The price discrepancies are outside the control of manufacturers. Distributers are the one who sets the price that are sold in your countries. Even other manufacturers are not spared. Just compare the prices of Tasca kits in the US and its home market, Japan.

Quote:
Thanks for the information you have posted it will be helpful when I get back home and start on this kit.
Looks like we posted at the same time. Like I mentioned there are some tricky areas (as with most kits) and I would be more than happy to assist. Just give me a shout if you get stuck.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Last edited by lquah; 08-24-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman-vc View Post
Alan,

I agree I don't want to turn this into a knocking thread ethier. I fact I think I will buy the Dragon kit now and build them both. I am disapointed with the price of the Tristar Kit and the lack of figure even though the box states that a figure is inclulded.

Panther F,

I don't think that the fact that the figure is not in the box is the fault of the hobby shop, and as far as pricing goes the online shops in Canada all seem to have it priced any where from $75 to $85 dollars.

Lawrence,

I did some quick research on the web, I normally only buy accessories from the online shops, as most hobby shops in Edmonton don't carry a lot of photo etch, figures, track sets, etc. You are correct the kit is about the same price from Lucky Hobby. The Dragon kits are within a couple of bucks to what there sell for in the hobby shops here in Canada (when you include shipping). In the past I have tried to buy kits at my locale hobby shop. Guess its time to re think that.

No one said it was the hobby store's fault. But if the box states something is in the box, and it's not, you shouldn't take the hit. If you bought speakers from a stereo shop and the box stated there were grill covers included and after opening them you found they were not, you will take them back.

So much for not turning this into a "knocking thread".
Reply With Quote top