Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 AM
vBench

This is something that I bought long time ago. I was a bit frustrated to see DML upgrading different C-versions and having all kind of PE etc. stuff added to new versions. Anyway as I got some upgrades for this I decided to start this as well. Not that I didn't have enough projects :lol:

Some refinements for the model:

There are 3 sets from Royal Model but me and my wallet voted only for one set So the first one looks good enough. And Lion Roar PE set complements it quite well. Only thing missing is new floor as DML floor is infested with incorrect holes and too narrow transmission cover. Any homemade suggestions?

More to follow later,

Niko

P.S. I try to kepp pics in my homesite as Kitpic free program doesn't last long
Old 03-30-2005, 02:06 AM
vBench

Here is some basic build. I try to keep up the pace before I run out of steam with this

Parts need some clean up and must be carefully aligned as axels don't fit perfectly.

Rear doors will be remade out of aluminium, hopefully... At least I try and if it doesn't work, I just use kit doors. Doors and rear wall is too thick so I'll thin rear wall part from outside.

Here is dashboard modified and started with LR PE. As you can see, LR set has a different configuration in firewall. I will add some plastic to sides and rear to hide openings.
From this web site(http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/p...51/251-int.htm) I found this pic:

So I guess it is ok.

Also one HUGE problem with DML 251C is the missing overhead between upper and lower hull. You can see it in box art cover but it is not done to model itself. Very tricky to correct. I'll show my approach to that problem later.

Cheers,
Niko
Old 03-30-2005, 09:12 AM
vBench

Niko- hope you can keep the steam going on this build- I will be watching with interest.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 AM
vBench

Looks good so far. I'm building the /22, and I'm still on the lower hull. Dragon can make some nice kits, and I'm sure they could have done better on the 251s. But with a little hard work, I'm sure they will turn out great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan August@Mar 30 2005, 11:19 AM
Looks good so far. I'm building the /22, and I'm still on the lower hull. Dragon can make some nice kits, and I'm sure they could have done better on the 251s. But with a little hard work, I'm sure they will turn out great.
Hi,
I had /22, too but was actually a bit intimidated by complexity of part layout so I sold it Well, I don't know if it is any better but I have /21 waiting in shelf

Niko
Old 03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
vBench

For lack of a better word: that's a sh!tload of PE Niko!!

I have this kit half built, but went for just an OOB build. Keep an eye out and do a lot of dry fitting on the upper and lower hull halves. I did not and the fit was quite poor.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 02:52 PM
vBench

I know what you mean about the /22, I have my concerns about it. Not so much the fit of the hull pieces, but the interior. The whole trimmed gunshield thing is giving me a headache right now, and I think that Dragon made a some mistakes in the forward compartment, like two seats and radio. The /21 looks nice, and has some more extras to improve the kit. But I'm sure all Dragon 251s have issues like the fit of the suspension arms and such. I'm planning to get one of these Ausf Cs and use it with the Leadwarrior kit and Tristar Flak gun for a cool /17.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 02:54 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuke Sowle@Mar 30 2005, 02:39 PM
For lack of a better word: that's a sh!tload of PE Niko!!

I have this kit half built, but went for just an OOB build. Keep an eye out and do a lot of dry fitting on the upper and lower hull halves. I did not and the fit was quite poor.....
Hi,
you got that right! I'm sorting out which PE to use from either set and it seems that both have better and worse parts.
And yes, I've been fitting halves together and those are quite tricky. You will see eventually how it turns out.

Niko
Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
vBench

I've been going through instructions from both sets and some things are a bit hazy in LR set.
Can anyone tell what these are for and where to put those?

I guess these are prism holders?

This part looks very nice but there should be two of those! LR set has only one

Niko
Old 03-31-2005, 04:41 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan August@Mar 30 2005, 02:52 PM
I know what you mean about the /22, I have my concerns about it. Not so much the fit of the hull pieces, but the interior. The whole trimmed gunshield thing is giving me a headache right now, and I think that Dragon made a some mistakes in the forward compartment, like two seats and radio. The /21 looks nice, and has some more extras to improve the kit. But I'm sure all Dragon 251s have issues like the fit of the suspension arms and such. I'm planning to get one of these Ausf Cs and use it with the Leadwarrior kit and Tristar Flak gun for a cool /17.
Hi,
how about using AFV's C? That is a more trouble free, I heard. And Leadwarrior conversion is very impressive. If I had money, I'd take one.

And yes, interior of /22 is awful as you don't know what goes where etc. Good luck with your project

Niko