Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Who say what now?

The master of the half-starter returns...

It's been some time since I last posted anything of my own here - basically, that Pz. Lehr '724' Panther is still in the same state it was in when last you saw it, and as I wasn't terribly happy about the paint finish when last I looked at it I doubt I'll be returning to it anytime soon.

But I still work on things; I pick something up at the hobby shop, bring it home, and work on it until I run into one of the usual hurdles - lack of reference, fiddly PE I don't want to tackle (German tool clasps are the worst culprits), or massive reworking of weld seams and other details. Then the kit sits for a while until I work up the energy to tackle it again. I have kits which have been sitting in this state since 2002. No, really.

Here are a few things which I've been working on over the past couple of years (i.e., the kits I have at home. This is to say nothing of what I've got in the storage locker out at Terminal Storage... )

SW Panther, Dragon kit #6370 - doing this one up as a possible Hermann Goering vehicle in East Prussia, late 1944. I realised that since I didn't have to fart around with the tool clasps, I might actually be within a week or two of putting paint on this. The schuertzen supports are 1:48 scale from Hauler (whose PE for the Tamiya 1:48 Panther G is ridiculously overscale)

Panther G, Shanghai Dragon kit #9045 -As you can see, little has been done with it since you last saw it, although it is within a reasonable distance of the finish line as far as construction is concerned. Still not sure what I want it done up as - probably 12th SS near Rocherath-Krinkelt in the Ardennes.

Jagdpanther (mid-production), Dragon kit #6458 - The early kit converted to a late-1944 production (Miag) mid with the help of a modified Tamiya mantlet and relocation of the vent cover.

Early Sturmpanzer Brummbaer, dragon kit #6460 - Got as far as the zimmerit before the two Panthers you've already seen looked like a better option...

KV-1 m.1942 "Lightweight Cast Turret", Trumpeter kit#00360 - Nice kit, but it needs help in the weld seam department. I drag this kit out when I've got leftover two-part putty that needs a good home. As you can see, my building process is not a clean one...

M4A1 Sherman, Dragon kit #6048 - Yes, I build these things.

"Tarawa" M4A2, Dragon kit #6062 - This one's being done up as 'Luneville' of 4/2 RCA late in 1944. The muffler is modified per one of Fabio Scacci's excellent posts on Missing Links, but it still needs the cast texture around the pipes.

Stay tuned for some more photos as I dig stuff out of storage - I realised I can still photograph my late Hetzer where I'm stalled on detailing the rundumfeuer.

Darren
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
vBench

Resurrection workshop?

Nice to see you've still been at it, though from a fully lurking work bench. I think I'd have to self medicate if I actually pulled out all of the partials out of my garage and photo'd them

I didn't know that you had any Shermanation in you - I've got a handful of these to include a very nice M-7 (speaking of Fabio) all in various stages of stall. I'd like to think that there is something creatively healthy about being able to cruise into a subject and leave it as the mood strikes

Doing any light and sound gigs in between all the styrene?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
vBench

Oh, thank god someone else admitted to starting many and finishing few. I was wondering if I was the only one. I like the last Sherman, it seems to be coming along nicely.

Planning Tamiya PzKpfw III MAN Works Entry to '44 Paris-Dakar Rally
Have the tank, need tracks & decals
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Nice looking models. I particularly like the KV surfacing.

I, like you have been away for quite awhile as well...and stuck on a StuIG 33 B project I started about 6 months ago....and a Ferdinand conversion that's begging for completion.

I'm trying to get to them as well but other stuff gets in the way. would love to see your Panthers completed.

regards, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
Hi Darren!

You are not alone!
My SdKfz 252, Quad, KV-220, Panther with Pz IV turret, StuG III C/D with saukopf mantlet and Robogear T-Rex are still waiting in the shelf to be done and painted.

PS your half-starters looks great!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 AM
vBench

Man, and I felt bad about having a couple of half built kits!

The weld work on the KV is da bomb. But can you please get some paint on the Panthers, especially the SW'er.

Sheeds.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk
Reply With Quote top