Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
vBench

Smile Painting Tank Tracks - Help and experience needed please

What's the best time to make and paint the tank tracks. I am making a King Tiger and i thought I would leave the tracks till later - bad choice as i now have to do some major surgery to get them on.

With that I would like to know how other people do this. Do you follow the instruction steps in order. Do you paint the tracks last, first. Do you create the tracks, remove them and then add them later.

This is the one piece i always have problems with and it makes making AFV not fun. Any help/suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks

Planning Tamiya PzKpfw III MAN Works Entry to '44 Paris-Dakar Rally
Have the tank, need tracks & decals
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
vBench

Overall it is a free choice, there is no set time do assemble them. I usually assemble them in single runs on each side in a stage when the model is still easy to handle. With plastic tracks I usually assemble a whole run per side and then brush on glue, wait until the run is stiff enough to handle but soft enough to wrap around the wheels. Just leave the wheels unglued so you can pull the entire run apart of the hull in one go. It takes some fiddling but it usually works and you have a full run in one peace ready for painting. just look around on the vbenches here and you should see how different people approach painting, it is really an individual thing. I usually start off with a dark brown color and work on from there. All depends on the ground, climate, state of the vehicle.

Look at Stuke's thread to see how it is done.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627

Reply With Quote top