Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
vBench

The green mile - s.SS 501 Pz.Abt Tiger II 213

Hi everybody. This is my first vBench work. I'm from Argentina and I model from 1989 or so. I'm not a serious modeller; OK, I'm not a serious person anyway; so, modelling is just fun for me, a way to discharge tensions from the life; so don't you expect great details on my models, just enought home-made add-ons to build a almost OOB kit
So, this is what I'm building now. Tiger II 213 , hours before he go to his final combat at Werimont Farm, La Gleize, 22 Dec 44, e.g. walking the "green mile" according to the excelent Tom Hanks movie. Please forgive me if I'm not expresing well my idea, I havn't learned english language, just for The Beatles songs, Fine Scale Modeler magazine, Sony and Warner series, and of course internet.
The kit is DML 6208. I think is the first one in the series, and of course, the worse, because it have not metal barrel, nor figures, nor EZ tracks, just the PE grills.
The decals give us the options of a zimmerit coated Pz Abt. 505 tank or a non-zimmerit s.SS Pz.Abt 501, the call sign 334. This tank guarded the Hassoumont farm area to the northeast at La Glaize and was destroyed by tanks of 3rd Armored Division. All this information are taken from http://www.ss501panzer.com/ an excelent web page with a lot of information about this panzer bataillon in the Ardennes offensive.
BUT, there is too little and poor pictures of 334, and I don't want to complicated me with zimmerit, so I just picked another tank, in this case, 213, taht rest in peace today in La Gleize, Belgium, restored (part of his gun belong to a Panther)

So, lets go to modelling

I added a couple of handles and Bosch light cable with copper wire. I make the Kugelblende weld with streched sprue, disolved with liquid glue (I use toluen, with a bit of sprue disolved in a Tamiya glue bottle)

I adedd the shovel top with brass sheet, secured to the hull with a bit of streched sprue
I worked most surface of the tank with a motor tool to simulate the casting. I'm not satisfied with my job.

I replace the cable provided with copper wire. I recommend that this grills, the forward ones, has to be glued before the hooks to lift the engine "hood", because those hooks will cause the grill to misposition.

Weld lines added with sprue. C-hook supports builded with telephone cable

According with my sources, this tank has has chassis serial number 280273, which indicates it was completed in October 1944, so no jack holders were welded, no jack nor wood block provided. Wood block guides still welded

A little part of the inside gun will be visible trhough the cupula

Effects of the motor tool

Sand mixed with medium gel, to represent mud

A par of wires welded to the front visor, aligned with other wire in front, to aim

Ufff, that's all for today, writing in english is a hard work!!! (It makes me thinks Marge!!)

Best regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
vBench

Wow! Great start and welcome to the planet.
Your homemade details put a lot of life to this big cat.

Quote:
I'm not a serious modeller;
You are kidding

Keep it up,
Manuel
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 AM
vBench

Welcome to the planet. Looking good. Can't wait to see some color.

Mike

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Welcome to the Planet Dario, you are doing a great job in that Tiger.
(Bienvenido al planeta Dario, estas haciendo un gran trabajo en ese Tiger.)

Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"

Last edited by Driver; 06-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
vBench

Welcome to PA

The KT is looking great
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
vBench

Thank you very much guys for the welcomes. Is a great honor to me to post in this planet
I've enjoyed most of your works in the vBenches, and I've learned with yours technics, trials and errors, so, THANK YOU!!!!
Tonite, painting!!

PD: Ruben, que alivio un poco de español, ya se me quema la neurona de pensar palabras en inglés

(Ruben, is good to read a little of spanish, my brain is burning thinking words in english )
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
vBench

A warm welcome Dario

Your build goes to show that you do not need to use AM stuff to have a nice build. I like your weld seams

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
vBench

Nice work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
vBench

Dario, boy you make a good first impression, nice build...welcome.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 PM
vBench

Good night everybody; thanks again for your kind words, make me feels confortable here in "my planet"
OK, let's work:
Everything is ready for paint:

A first coat of Tamiya XF60 with XF2, 75:25 or something, dont matter, is just the primer (I always paint with any mixed color similar to dunkelgelb, saying, "don't matter, is just the primer, and then it left as a defiitve color )

More pictures

Please, let me know any mistakes you find

Now, a question for you: what color you think should I paint the road wheels??? The scheme I choiced is the ambush, with hard edges, field applied
Best Regards
Darío
Reply With Quote top