Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
vBench

Tamiya kits

I know many of you have been into modelling for a long time, so you probably have a stash of older Tamiya kits but I began modelling exactly when DML started pumping out the new cool ''super'' kits. So therefore I haven't got that big of an experience with Tamiya. I recently found a shop where there are tamiya kits with low prices (well compared to what one would pay for a 1:35 DML Tiger) so I am thinking of picking up some of them.

So what I want to know from you is the following:

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV /L70--how is the kit to build and are there any major points that need adressing? (Yeah I know the wheels and tracks need changing.)

Tamiya Stug III or IV--how is it?

Tamiya Pz IV long barrel versions/Academy Pz IV long barrel versions-- any big dimensional errors?

Tamiya halftracks--how are they in general, I know they are not up to the DML series but for a fast simple OOTB weekend build?

Hope I didn't ask too much.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 AM
vBench

Hi Siim,

I don't mean to slam any manufacture here and this is just my opinion The Tamiya kits you are asking about are getting a little long in the tooth.

"Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV /L70--how is the kit to build and are there any major points that need adressing? (Yeah I know the wheels and tracks need changing.)"

Lower hull needs a lot of work as this kit was design as a motorized kit to start with. DML kits are much better (they have released several different kits of the Jagdpanzer IV).

"Tamiya Stug III or IV--how is it?"

Again these are older than the current DML/Dragon offerings. the Stug IV suffers the same problems as the Jagdpanzer IV /L70. and Depending on which Stug III kit you are looking at if it is there first offering from over 30 years ago stay clear it's a lump. There newer Stug III is not bad although I am not sure how it stacks up to the new DML early Stug III G.

"Tamiya Pz IV long barrel versions/Academy Pz IV long barrel versions-- any big dimensional errors?"

The Academy Pz IV H is a copy of the (30 year old) Tamiya Kit. The newer Ausf J and early Ausf H are not bad but I would wait for the new DML releases that I would guess are coming.

"Tamiya halftracks--how are they in general, I know they are not up to the DML series but for a fast simple OOTB weekend build?"

Again the Tamiya kits are much older than the DML ones. All of these kits will build up into something that will look like the subject. If you want some thing a little more accurate go with the DML kits. If you can get the Tamiya kits cheap and just want to bash something together, go for it.

"The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease.... often it gets replaced."
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 02:19 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
You need to ask yourself why you want the kit ?

If it is for accuracy then by the time you have bought all the parts you need to get these kits up to standard they will probably cost more than the DML offering. If you are not too fussed about accuracy and just enjoy the build go for it.

I'm looking myself at picking up one or two of these old Tamiya kits, but for practice purposes. I want something that will go together quickly that I can mess about with trying different paints and effects etc, with out buggering up an expensive kit.

From my past experience they generally go together well enough, but for detail etc have all the limitations you would expect from kits of that age.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 AM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Hi Siim!

Those alla are big, unaccurate in dimensions, tracks are awful and list goes on, BUT they are easy and fast to build and also fun to build. They are good for painting and weathering practise and so on. On net theres also some articles how make em better(Big job). If you feel you need some "brains on break"-projects go for it!

Cheers Mikko

P.S. Sorry, SdKfz 251 is SMALL..
Old 12-27-2006, 01:06 PM
vBench

Thanks guys for the info.

So today I went to the shop and got a Tiger I mid and a PAK 40 from Tamiya. I think that the old Tamiya kits are a bit too inaccurate for me. (Yeah the PAK is a 70s model but it was about 5$ so what the heck!)
I guess I am a bit ''scared'' from the Zvezda Pz III. I can't imagine myself doing that kind of hard(-core ) build any time soon.

Thanks again for the help.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Siim you mean that "new" Tamiyas Mid Tiger? Thats pretty good as far as I know. (Okey shut up you Dragon-spoiled Tiger fans) Is thet the Carius version?

Cheers Mikko

p.s. Use "some" foliage on that Pak and it fits in little diorama.;P
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
vBench

The Tiger is the regular version (see picture in my vbench). It is pretty nice, single link tracks, crisp molding, oh what the hell, it is Tamiya!

The PAK on the other hand will get a PE set and a new barrel for shure.
The figures included look funky, of course I will not use them.

Siim

Reply With Quote top