Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Brokeneagle

Hi Allied guys,
I feel like a fish out of water here as this will be my first Sherman. I have some refs, namely the Squadron signals book and the MMIR modellers guide to the Sherman. The MMIR book seems to have everything that I need but as I look through the books endless amounts of mixed mods etc I find my German tank logic does not work with this vehicle from the 'dark side'. It seems that nearly anything goes but I would like to find out from some experts.
I also have an Aber brass set for an Israeli Super Sherman that I would like to use as much of as I can.
What Mods need to be done to make this kit a late WW2 Sherman and what parts are just wrong and how do I make them right.
TWEAKS! :lol:
I hope some of you guys can help because I really feeling quite daunted by this but would love to build a late war version.
????????
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 AM
vBench

Gday Hilly,

Mate, without trying to sound too negative about it, that kit you have is a pig! The hull, turret and suspension are all pretty woeful and the tracks arent the more common T66 type used in WW2. The ones DML provide in your kit were used, but not that much.. If you can hang off for a few weeks, this will be available, and OOB is perfect for a late war M4A3E8 (76mm).
http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/6183.htm

Sam
Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Brokeneagle

Sammy,
thanks for the 'heads up' on the kit. I read the Sewell review and I think I will take your advice and wait. Looks like this one is headed for EBAY :lol:
Old 08-20-2006, 11:16 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hey Ian,

Yes, best take Sam's advice. Having an accurate Sherman was vertually UNHEARD of before DML finally started producing some new ones like they promised. It would seem after looking at some pics that almost anything goes, but alas, as soon as you showed it you would probably have to redo 75% over. Tracks can be quite varied, suspension bogies, there are for the most part 3 types . For what you want tho, the Dragon should be cool.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Brokeneagle

thanks Larry. I will pick up one of these new Shermies when they become available. Trouble is I was kinda rarin' to go and I might get distracted and still never start one.
We'll see if it becomes my next project.