Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM

The Kubelwagen from Hell

In the late 1960s-early 70s there was a guy named Ed. In the age bracket of 8-18, Ed had the opportunity to make many a model. He started with cars at age 5, with the help of Mom and Dad, and branched off on his own by the time he reached the tender age of 8. By age 11, the boyfriend of an older sister introduced old Ed to Militaria and, more importantly, to military model building. From 1/87th scale to 1/6th, Ed was hooked. Eventually, 1/35th scale grabbed him and shook him like a rabid dog. Ed became a bonifide Military Modeler. By the time he was 16, Ed won his first local Military Model contest but, alas!, the jig was up.

Ed's parents, particularly his mother, looked upon Model Building as a great waste of time. Ed found it more difficult to build stuff. Finally, 17 years old and graduation from High School came along. This was quickly followed by the USAF. Real life came and nipped Ed's Model interests at the bud. Things like love, marriage and, of course, other hobbies came along. The new stuff left little room for the beloved things of the past. The old models ended up in the hands of Ed's son, a little fellow who had no interest and no respect for the talent. This was not the boy's fault, he just wasn't wired to it.

Years passed. A divorce occurred. Movings went on and on as Ed bounced about from place to place. He found the ability and the time to get into model building again, though his focus changed slightly towards sailing vessels. The urge to build all manner of models sparked, and Ed began asking around for anything left over having to do with any type of model.

Eventually, the three large boxes of Tamiya, Revell, Italieri, Esci and Lindberg 1/32nd-1/35th scale models that Ed had given to his son so many years before came back to him - in a couple of small shoe boxes. The rest having been lost to God knows what circumstances, Ed tucked away what remained and lugged it about with him until he eventually settled in a small place of his own. With all manner of things changing around him year to year, Ed finally found himself able to devote time, once again, to Military Modeling.

He pulled out the shoe boxes, segregated everything left into scales, and began amassing a new collection of junk parts, new kits and tools to go back to what he had known so many years before. The rude awakening came when he discovered that the companies he had looked to as a kid had been joined by a gob of new ones - at least the companies that had not gone out of business. Then there were the paints.

The simple selections of Testors and Pactra oils had been supplanted by other paints - and other types, like acrylics. Not only that, but...Airbrushes ruled when it came to vehicle finishing!! Tiny little spray paint cans that used to be covered by $0.49-$0.99 now costed five + bucks. The oils were now in specialty packs that leapt beyond $50.00 in cost and no one even blinked over it! The selection and number of 1/32nd to 1/35th scale kits had gone from manageable to OMIGOD!

Ed could not believe how many 1/32nd-1/35th scale models there were. They even sold what used to be kits in a completely finished form - in some cases, these were done in a manner just as skillful as anything Ed had ever seen or done himself! There were also companies that used to be communist on the scene. These companies now sold world-wide - no more iron curtain! Ed could buy buildings, fountains and cobblestoned streets! There were troop types that Ed had never even heard of...

...how ever had Ed managed to survive without access to 'Fallschirmjaegers - WITH DONKEYS'!!?? Who knew that the donkeys were the brains of the outfit?? And that wasn't all...

...so you bought the wrong tank model year and wanted to make it something late-war instead of mid? No problem! For $20-$50 bucks, you can buy a mini-kit with the stuff in it to fix your goof-up! So your African Campaign Kubelwagen Type 82 has no balloon tires?! You'd better get with the program, pal, or Rommel just might lose at Tobruk the SECOND time, too! Hurry up and get those bad boys mounted - it'll only cost you another $15-$20. Of course, the lists of supplements goes on and on! What will Ed do with such a vast selection. It literally overwhelms the senses!! What shall he do??! Simple. Fight back with old school. How to begin? With 'The Kubelwagen from Hell', that's how.

In the depths of Ed's old shoebox, there is a Kubelwagen. It is Tamiya. It was originally painted grey with simple 6. SS-Gebirgs-Division 'Nord' markings, then desert sand with Das Deutsches Africa Korp (21st Panzer) markings. Then it was German yellow with olive drab camo lines and stepped up into 'Grossdeutschland' markings. That is how it looked when Ed pulled it out. Ed doesn't know where he will go with this on the 4th effort, but the rework upon rework has truly turned this into 'The Kubelwagen from Hell'. Ed began thinking SS again...

...on the other hand, another Army vehicle wouldn't hurt - nor would a Luftwaffe. Maybe Africa? Except that African Campaign Luftwaffe Kubelwagens have been done to death thanks to Tamiya and the 'Ramcke' Brigade - go figure. I'd rather put a Luftwaffe Kubelwagen next to 'Bubi' Hartmann's 109, but I don't happen to have a 1/35th scale Me handy. I guess the Luftwaffe version will have to wait...I'll think of something...

Yep, that's right - I am E Strongblade. The attached photos will give you the exact particulars of what I'm working on. Here are my own personal rules for the project:

No airbrush - guess what? The Germans actually 'brushed' paint on too, at need. Spray paint maybe, but I'll show the can and/or cans if I go that route!

All oils - mostly testors. Old habits and old school tricks die hard. I'm a big color mixer too, so sue me...

No custom finishing kits - if I can't get it out of my scrap parts box, then I'll make it out of strip styrene stock - Evergreen makes what I have on hand. I can get more on the net at need. I only hope that I can get hold of some Squadron putty - this beast is going to need some.

I'll be using any and all old photos I can get my hands on to narrow down what shall be the final choice of venue for this project. I will take suggestions and place them into a large pile for scrutiny. If I choose one of these, the person who made the suggestion shall be high-profiled here as 'The Brains behind the Brawn', or some-similar-such interesting title.

Easy Ed. Let's breath a little. In with the out, out with the in. Ah! Much better.

Happy Model building!

Cya fer now,

E Strongblade
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM

The Kubelwagen from Hell

Hello all.

I began work upon the 'Kubelwagen from Hell' several weeks ago, but am only now getting to the articles to describe the work. The progress has been stable, if not quite expedient. As anyone who has read the earlier article and been around the 1/35th scale world knows, the Kubelwagen in question is an old Tamiya issue that was manufactured in the early '70s. This particular kit was built by me in...the 1970s.

Yep. It was new when I built it - sometime in about 1972-3. First it was grey, then tan and eventually it became the sand and drab camo of a half-hearted effort to go late war. This 'thing' has seen more action than a real one, lol (I think it was blown up in 'war games' about 50 times before it was put into it's first actual diorama). I still don't know where I'm going with it, but so far, so good.

My first moves in the battle to refurbish this little wagen began with a tear down. Luckily, I was not too bad with glue distribution back then, although a few places still had more glue than I'd like. In the first picture, one can see the body shell condition as I break it down, lying amongst the wreckage of my work table (if your table ain't cluttered, it ain't bein' used - newbies, pay attention and welcome to the old school).

The second picture displays the other main part. This chassis shot gives you an idea of what must happen to update the poor little bugger. The front axle has been removed, but the rear can still be seen in it's installed state. Removal of the old plastic axles will eventually restore it as a model, rather than a model toy (I'm going to miss rolling that little German 'jeep' across the kitchen floor...but - we all must make sacrifices...sigh).

My third shot puts the parts all together for a collective view. Body front, sides and rear along with the chassis, wheels and the soon-to-be history axles. A part of me wants to keep the thing as a 'roller', but, we'll just have to see how it goes. This has been the familiarization portion of 'The Kubelwagen from Hell'. Stay tuned for further progress. Cya for now!

E Strongblade
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM

The Kubelwagen from Hell

Here we are at part 3. I started working the chassis based on what I could find as reference here and there.

The following shots give a brief view of floorboard/ foot pedal progress. These strips are simple Evergreen stuff, the package shows the size. The pedals are made from what I scrounged out of my parts box. Not perfect, but hey! - I don't expect people to get under the dash with a magnifying glass after the project is complete, lol.

I encourage you to submit input and comments.

Stay tuned for more! Cya!

EStrongblade

Last edited by EStrongblade; 01-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Founder

Very cool!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

love your style.

Strongblade,

1st of all, I love your style. 2nd, I can personally IDENTIFY (on many levels) with "Ed's" story of his life long journey associated with model building.

A great 'human interest' story, if you ask me.

Good luck on your build and look forward to more 'human interest' and build updates.

thanks,

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Now we are at the part about the rolling. The easiest way is to remount the axles and use the 'Let's not pay too much attention to the undercarriage' route. The more difficult tack is to cut out the front and add an axle, tie rod and front end assembly. Hmm.

I could do either, but the second choice will add hours to the project. I'll think about it, and take input and suggestions from you guys on how the axle thing might be approached without customizing kits. I DO have my own ideas, but am quite interested in what all of you might have to say. I'll give it a couple of days, and come back for the responses - I'll monitor through Saturday next. Take care! Cya!

Thanks to Gordy and Alex for your kind words. Keep an eye out for more!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Hello, my friends,

Things have been a bit hectic here, as I now know why one of my eyes has me looking at things as though WD-40 has been sprayed on my glasses - whether I am wearing them or not. It is called a 'Central Retinal Vein Occlusion', and it was described to me by the Doc as an 'eye stroke'. Like a bruise, it goes away slowly, over time.

As you may guess, this has put a hold on some of the things that I can do on the Kubelwagen, but work does continue. I have decided to go with the axle change. The cutting to acommodate this is nearly complete, but I won't be posting anything until the whole axle is done. No sense in cluttering the site with every 10mm cut I make.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that things are moving forward, just not quickly. I hope to post some good shots by the end of March, sooner if this eye thing clears up a little. Take care and thanks for your interest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 AM

take care my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStrongblade View Post
Hello, my friends,

Things have been a bit hectic here, as I now know why one of my eyes has me looking at things as though WD-40 has been sprayed on my glasses - whether I am wearing them or not. It is called a 'Central Retinal Vein Occlusion', and it was described to me by the Doc as an 'eye stroke'. Like a bruise, it goes away slowly, over time.

As you may guess, this has put a hold on some of the things that I can do on the Kubelwagen, but work does continue. I have decided to go with the axle change. The cutting to acommodate this is nearly complete, but I won't be posting anything until the whole axle is done. No sense in cluttering the site with every 10mm cut I make.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that things are moving forward, just not quickly. I hope to post some good shots by the end of March, sooner if this eye thing clears up a little. Take care and thanks for your interest.
EStrongblade,

Very sorry to hear of your infirmity with the eyes. Take cake and take it easy with your precious eye-sight.
Take your time posting and looking forward to some updates this coming march.

thank you,

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM
vBench

Hello EStrongblade, take it easy and look forward to its great advances in this Kubel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Hey, folks! I cut out the front and will put in the front axle stuff in the coming week. Hell, it's harder to find the stuff that'll work in the model parts box than it is to turn it into something that works, lol! I've a feeling some of you will really appreciate the 'imagination at work' angle. Stay tuned.
Reply With Quote top