Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Pozdrawiam Rafal Sadurek

Nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM
vBench

Wow! Love the camo!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Update.... Been slowly picking my way through the detail painting on this one. The markings are done with eduard masks. This is the first time I've used them and I must say I'm sold. Typically I use dry transfers but airbrushed markings look so much more natural. I bought the cross sets and a couple of numbering sets so I'm anxious to see how the numbers do. Anyway, after that I painted the tools and wooden handles, spare tracks, towing hooks, etc.. then it was on to the scratches and what not. This is not a well used tank and I don't want to make it look like it has a couple years wear on it but at the same time, I want the finish to be interesting so I've been taking my time trying to not overdo this part. As you may recall, this one is supposed to be in a worn white wash so much of what I'm doing will end up underneath that and invisible but you never know what bits will show and which ones won't when you start working through the white wash so you kinda have to just do it per usual and let it work it self out. I'm not quite finished with this stage but I'm getting fairly close. Perhaps I'm just doing it slowly to stall so I don't have to spray white all over it. There is always the potential to ruin a finish when taking that leap but hopefully it will go well. I do all of the detail painting with Humbrol enamels. I find that thinned enamels go on just as smoothly if not more so than acrylics with one notable advantage.... If I don't like a scratch location or if it's out of scale, etc.. I just remove it with thinner and do it again. Acrylics are not quite that forgiving. I worked with a mix of Humbrol 150 and 103 for the green surface scratches and then 160 for the darker rust tones. So here's where I'm at so far. Again, no filters, washes, oils, etc... yet so it looks a little "flat". Sorry for all the dust and junk, I meant to hit this thing with the airbrush and blow it off before I took these pics... That's what happens when you work as slow as I have on this one.

The exhausts are not finished since the white wash has yet to be applied but I had to do the major painting on them during this stage. They were done with hairspray then green over a base coat of Tamiya red brown mixed with a touch of a couple rust colored pigments. After that I touched up with the same paint mix using a sponge and brush. I'll give the top a misting of soot after it's finished and a bit more pigments and oils. but only after the white is applied and worn away.

A few comments on these AK paints.... I want to like these as the colors are pretty good even though I did have to mix the greens together and the reds to get the shades I wanted, but I will avoid using them in the future and go back with Tamiya unless it's just for a base coat. I fought with them the whole time and had to touch up over and over again because they wouldn't spray without overspray and they clogged the airbrush repeatedly and dried on the needle after only a few seconds of spraying. I tried thinning with water and Tamiya thinner (worked best) but I just couldn't find the sweet spot. Tamiya with lacquer thinner is idiot proof and sprays on perfect so I think I'll stick with what I know in the future. It's a shame because that's all that I don't like about Tamiya paints is the general lack of out of the jar color choices. You pretty much have to mix colors to get what you want. Off course, as I said, I ended up mixing these anyway... If anyone has any better experiences with these or ideas I'd love to hear them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM
vBench

can't wait for more of this (=
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
looks great!
waiting for more!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 PM
vBench

let it snow, let it snow, let is snow.....

Ok so the white is on.... hairspray method for the base white wash most of which was removed to show wear and tear since it's set in the "spring" awakening offensive during the early winter thaw. I used Tamiya white with a tough of deck tan for the white spray. After that had dried thoroughly, I started making little marks of white areas to give some life to the whitewash. I'm still not finished with this yet but it's definitely a key step because without it, the finish looks very flat. I will apply some streaking and pooling with white oil paints later one which will further enhance the whitewash but that will have to wait until after the filters, dark washes, general oil effects, etc.. That will mute the white and blend it a bit and then the white oils will show a lot of contract. I think that will give it a lot more of a realistic look but I'll have to wait and see. Right now it's still really really white! Anyway, here are the pics...

The turret numbers were done with Eduard masks over another misting of hairspray so that they could be chipped off a bit to blend with the whitewash.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM
vBench

Great job with the whitewash, excellent use of the hairspray method. Going back in with the brighter white really does make it come alive.
I especially like how the turret numbers came out.
Can't wait to see more!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM
vBench

Update.... So I've been working with artists oils over the last few weeks blending, washing, staining, streaking, etc... I'm not finished with this stage yet but I've made enough progress that I thought I'd share some pics with you guys. It's not there yet but it's looking more "realistic" and no so stark and cartoony. I am learning that the white wash is a tricky nut to crack. The hairspray technique is a great start but that's all it is. There is still just as much work to be done if not more so than a regular finish to get it to look right. Anyway, here's how she looks tonight....

I also got around to silvering up the roadwheel contact areas.

I'm going to keep blending the oils here and there, some additional washes and maybe add another filter trying to unify the overall appearance until I'm satisfied to move forward. Comments or critiques are always welcome guys. Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM
vBench

so I finished the oils for the most part and moved on to the pigments. The upper parts were pretty typical just applying a touch of dust or dirt buildup here and there on the horizontal surfaces, top of the fenders, railings, etc... The lower hull was a different look than what I've tried to achieve before in that, I didn't want to totally just mud up the running gear. I wanted some of the white wash to show through on the wheels but I wanted it to look muddy and wet enough to be believable. Think "wet and cold".... early spring, still muddy but mostly traveling on wet slushy roads..... Also wanted to try to emulate the reference photo as best I could especially the mud built up underneath side railings in places. I have some touch ups left to do on some areas that look odd or unrealistic, the back needs some additional work and I need to do a bit more spattering here and there but I'm done for the day so I wanted to post some pics. Again, it still need some work but they kinda have the feel I was after so I'm encouraged. The tracks were treated with the same mud mix but they look a little too clean to me so I'm going to have to work on them a bit more. Actually, the whole undercarriage needs a bit more tweaking but it has the general look that I wanted. Some oil leeks need to be added to some of the hubs as well.

I'm experimenting on my test mule model with some bits of snow but so far it's not good enough that I would want to try it on the model but I'm still working on it. If I do, it would just be a couple little spots of melting snow/slush here and there, nothing too crazy just enough for dramatic effect. If anyone has any good ideas on that I'd love to hear them. So far the best thing I have is a mix of white glue with a touch of super fine pure white sand. It has a crystal like shimmer and it's finer than most aftermarket products that I have seen. I've spotted it on and gone over the edges with wet effects and streaked it out a touch. It's getting close but again, not good enough yet that I want to try it. The problem is that it tends to soak up pigments or whatever is around it and turn "dirty" while drying which I don't want. going to try to add a touch of white paint to it and try it again and then maybe adding some white plaster. There is a good mix there somewhere but I havn't found it just yet. Anyway, Love to hear your guys thoughts and as always, thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 PM
vBench

Decided to take a break from the Panther and work on the commander for a couple weeks. Let me first say, I am no figure painter.... but I realize how a figure can make a model look more "finished" so I try to add one when I have the motivation. The figure itself is from Alpine and is wonderfully done. It's almost a shame for it to have been painted by me..... Anyway, the clothing is all Vallejo and I used oils for the face. Tried to use more pink and red in the face to make him look cold but don't think I necessary achieved that. Pretty pleased with the fall camo though as I was skeptical of how it might turn out.

Reply With Quote top