Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Brokeneagle

Dora 1/35 Scale

Even though this is a V-bench, it will only be a starting post at present. I thought this model would be of interest to you guys as there are not that many Dora's out there. I have been captivated and my modelling interests sparked up, by the recent expeditions into 1/35 scale military rail subjects from the new China based companies. I think it's great that they are willing to create these subjects that were unthinkable [and unaffordable] 10 years ago.
I won't be starting this for a little while yet as I have a BR52 to finish as well as having to clean up my back room in the house so as I can have an area to start it and leave it set up as I build. I do have an old solid wooden door that I have been saving as a base, for a model such as this.
3000 parts
26kg including the box.
THATS A 1/35 SCALE PANZER 4 ON TOP OF THE BOX.

After looking through the parts my one disappointment is that there are no decals, even though the gun and carriage are covered in labels and spec markings , instructions etc. I hope Cartograph or some other company will be doing a decal sheet for it. If any of you know of a set please post it here.
The overall level of detail is great, though I am still unsure as to whether the railings are overscaled; i will check this out against more reference photos. This will be a visual extravaganza once built and all the extra crew and other details should help to create a great visual scene to enjoy for many years to come.
I have taken a few photos of bits and pieces but I didn't unpack everything as it is one of those kits that once you unpack it you can't get ALL the bits back in.
The whole model is moulded in black plastic and contains some photo-etching as well as metal rail track and various bits and pieces such as ropes etc.
I have taken some comparison shots for size as I think this is the main point of interest when you first see this kit.
above are the side superstructure supports that are moulded in thick plastic and appear to be correctly scaled and contibute to the overall heaviness of the kit, as do all the superstructure parts and the thick base supplied.
Above are the boxes with the forward barrel section, without the pivot section and the breach, which adds about another 10 inches. The white folded out piece is the cardboard folder that holds the photo etching for the carriage pieces. Threre are another 3 boxes underneath the ones you see here.
Below is the forward barrel section compared against an assembled Karl Geraet in the same scale.
Below is the pivot section that sits on the rear of the main barrel piece, compared with a 1/35 tiger.

and here is one of the side superstructure pieces compared with my Karl. Notice the size of the kubel wagon and the crouching dragon figure on top.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 05-29-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling fix-ups
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 PM
vBench

WOW!!!!!

I had a feeling you would get this kit. I really can't wait to see some build pictures of this baby.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier View Post
I had a feeling you would get this kit. I really can't wait to see some build pictures of this baby.
Siim,
you know me too well. Am I that transparent? yep!
I will get to this ASAP

James,
don't worry, I will think of you when I build it . Thanks I know what you mean about other kits but I though 'blow it'. I had some spare cash from recent 'overtime' on other stuff so I treated myself - i figured it's now or never on this one.

Ebbe,
I got it at quite a reasonable price but it was expensive, especially once it gets out here in AUS dollars and you include the middle man etc.
There goes half my new mountain bike.

As Invader Zim says :'Humans are full of madness!'

Last edited by brokeneagle; 05-29-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 AM
vBench

Ian just thinking if you run out of storage space i will mind the Karl Geraet for you .

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
James,
don't worry, I will think of you when I build it . Thanks I know what you mean about other kits but I though 'blow it'. I had some spare cash from recent 'overtime' on other stuff so I treated myself - i figured it's now or never on this one.
So any other news- has the initial titilation worn of. How's about some more impressions on the kit, Sir. Thanks.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 AM
vBench

Damn, that's freakin' GINORMOUS!!!!

Did you have to get "special" approval for it? I would never be able to get this past the missus. It's too big to hide under the sofa!

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 01:01 AM
vBench

Holy crap!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Damn, that's freakin' GINORMOUS!!!!

Did you have to get "special" approval for it? I would never be able to get this past the missus. It's too big to hide under the sofa!

LQ
Oh yeah, it's so big isn't it ........
Special approval?
I smuggled it in the back door under the cover of darkness I took all the photo's downstairs outside my workshop room, then quickly packed it away and put it in my secret stash cupboard under the stairs . I had to let my son in on it as he helped me carry it inside from the car. Good kid that one!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 AM
vBench

Good for you-I was thinking about getting one but it would be for nothing as I have so many other kits yet to build- I held back on this one. Should be quite interesting wacthing you build yours though. Good on ya!

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top