Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
so here we go guys. there are a couple bolts that i still need to add (seems like i see where i need to put one every time i look at this thing) but i've faced down the demons and come out with my sanity. one thing i was curious about. i left the zimmerit off the door tab and now i'm thinking i should go back and zimm that as well after looking at my references but i'm not sure...... kinda stands out there without zimm.

these things were a pain as i'm sure a lot of you guys know but they do look pretty sweet vs. the kit ones. griffon has done a good job with these. finally have the barrel attached after weeks of staring at it. nice to get the last big piece but on......

as always, love to hear your critiques and speak up if you see anything wrong. i've started working on the hull again attaching the various hooks for the spare track link armor. still not sure what to do about the aber tow cable, the damn thing is as stiff as a full sized one......
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Brokeneagle

beautiful work - I love it and it isn't even painted yet!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
vBench

...perfect Chad!...an excelent reference for the mine...soon I 'll assembling my turret...thanks for sharing this excelent build process...

Best!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 AM
vBench

Looks good after all the pain you went through.
And maybe this is the picture you were looking for ?

Last edited by gibsonfndr; 09-29-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
vBench

yea, i have that pic from the concord book that i was reviewing last night. should be an easy enough fix but i think i'm for sure going to zimm that tab.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
vBench

Chad,you're knocking my sock off.

Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
vBench

not a big update but i have done a few things. for this update, i have the track armor mounted up on the front plates. this is pretty much a staple of these 4th pzr division vehicles and i mounted them up as per my references. almost a shame to do zimmerit and then cover it up but again, that was their MO and with good reason i'm sure. i may throw on a couple more on the sides or up front or maybe a few t-34 tracks but that's nothing i need to decide any time soon. just drilled holes to and inserted lengths of wire which was bent around the track and then cut.

i hope to have another update real soon as i've put on the tow cables and have almost finished finally get the running gear sanded and ready to go. still need to add some more chains and other nick nacks here and there but i should have fully completed hull photos in the next few days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Hi there.

Beautiful work, as always. I'm mighty impressed.

Good to see you understood my attempt to explain how to attach a thumbnail picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadperkins View Post
[...] still not sure what to do about the aber tow cable, the damn thing is as stiff as a full sized one......
Anneal it. Then let it cool off and you're done.

Is it too soon to ask for a verdict on the Griffon PE?

Johannes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
vBench

yea finally got the thumbnail figured out.... as for the aber cable, i annealed it more than once to a glowing orange and it's still super stiff. i have made it work after much effort and overbending to get the desired bend but i'll never buy another one. verdict on the pe........... first let me say that it's a very nice upgrade and some of the parts are very well thought out. the only thing that lets it down is the manner by which the clasps are to be assembled. as i mentioned earlier, i didn't use any of them save for the ones on the back of the turret bin because they were too hard to make look right. i ended up buying a set of aber clasps instead. that's my only major gripe with it, otherwise it's pretty good stuff. I like the fenders and the way they go together better than any other pe fenders i've dealt with. i'd say it was as good as aber but i still had to use some aber parts and scratch build a few items but i usually end up doing that anyway. all that said, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it just be aware that the clasps are suspect. i seem to recall someone else mentioning this on another post about their clasps being undersized and too hard to assemble. one thing i will certainly commend them on is that they put in a lot of variable/option parts. they included all the different types of shurtzen brackets so you could build almost any later style panzer IV. also, they include extra parts of the really small stuff that tends to get lost in the carpet. they saved me on this a few times. would definately use again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
vBench

No slack on the details! Looking good. Have you decided on a paint scheme? Looking forward to seeing the paint process.
Reply With Quote top