Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 11-21-2010, 04:24 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
got in a little bit of work this weekend but i've been pretty busy with things around the house and what not so progress is slow. added some more highlights on the hull and turret and then went in with a brush and did the contrasting highlights. i used humbrol enamels for this...... hatch hinges, fan covers, vision block assemblies on the cupola, drivers visor, rain guards, bolt heads, etc..... i am a big fan of the the modulation technique but i guess i'm more on the conservative side as far as the contrasting. some guys really have an ability to use quite stark contrasts and then blend it in for great results. i am more cautious and go for a more subtle approach. it doesn't look a lot different with this step added but if you look for it, it becomes pretty evident and really helps add an extra degree of depth which ordinarily wouldn't be there.

still not sold on what camo pattern to use. There are a few options primarily being a standard type mottled 3 tone camo (kinda generic but always a good look) and then the more risky option with the criss crossed looking pattern, as shown in the echelon decal set and in the concord book as shown here:

The latter was pretty common in this unit but i'm not sure how well it would look in scale. Kinda different........Love to hear your guys thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 PM
vBench

Dear Chad.

...I agree with you about the subtle CM...it's my favourite approach on this painting style...and your job looks perfect!...love it!

...my favourite camo scheme is the last one of the right side (large green patches over the Schurtzen)...okay?

Best regards!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM
vBench

i like that one too but i don't think it's appropriate. from most accounts, that one had the more familiar verticle zimmerit pattern. also, all of the vehicles pictured in my references with the ost tracks have the white bear and were photographed mid 44. not sure when the red bear was used or if that was even a time determined feature, but all those that i see in this configuration have the white bears. afraid i'm going to have to pick between the 3rd and 4th ones on the right hand page. not those specifically, but generally those patterns though i could also do a more defined 3 tone scheme as per my references like the one tom cockle did. the 4th one there looks like a total mess on the schurtzen so i'd definately not make it quite so mottled if i go that route. just not sure i want to try and tackle that 3rd one. could be cool but could be a disaster too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 AM
vBench

red green and brown like the bottom right but im sure you could do a better job on the schurtzen

Last edited by jimmy66; 11-22-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
vBench

Hi Chad,

Very nice painting!

Krisztián
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
vBench

Great job. Of course for Schurtz, choose the 4 th on the left, not the bear and applying the same scheme in the large side plates, absent in the drawing.
Greetings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Chad,

MOST EXCELLENT!

alex wence

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

Beautiful paintwork!

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 PM
vBench

just so you guys don't think i may have died..... i decided to get out the airbrush and do some work today in between holiday festivities. after much debate over the scheme, i elected to do a larger cloud type pattern similar to the one that is shown on page 26 of the concord book. thought about a more mottled scheme but decided i wanted something a bit more interesting. i started with the green which i always find a difficult color to get a nice mix for. for this one i went with equal parts tamiya flat green, deep green and gray green and think maybe i've found a good mixture. the red is straight tamiya red brown as i really like this color right out of the bottle. green went on first followed by red and then successive touch ups for each color to try to get the intensity uniform.

next step will be some gloss and decals which will be from the echelon set. it's obviously all a bit too stark at the moment but after the markings are on i'll give it a built up misting with a dusty color and maybe some clear yellow to try and tie it all together and mute the contrast a little bit prior to weathering which will help with this as well. all in all, i'm fairly pleased with it. camo is always a stressful exercise as it's never fun to redo the base coat and start over. just have to try to imagine what it will look like after weathering and ignore the way it looks now......
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 AM
vBench

Looks Great

I'm currently build an Ausf J. (Mid) as we speak. Should be getting it up soon enough.

Keep up the good work

Grim