Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
vBench

Tamiya Cromwell

As I'm working on a Churchill I thought I would resurrect this oldie (I'll no doubt have the same paint bottles out when it comes to painting the Churchill so may as well make full use of that, (save on wasted paint) )

Body and turret virtualy completed. Had to add brass headlamp protectors as all the plastic ones snapped on the frue

Added a RB Models barrel and Accurate Armour grilles

More later
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
vBench

Pretty nice! A technical question: what's the caliber of the main gun on that tank?

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
vBench

The calibre of the main gun on the Cromwell was a 75mm.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 AM
vBench

Very Small update...

Washed this one (with warm water and a mild detergent (I use 'Fairy' because its good to my hands )) before I went away last weekend. Last night when I got back it recieved its Mr Sufacer Primer, ready for painting today (You'll note the barrel is a different shade, this is because Mr Surfacer didnt adhere too well to the barrel, so I used my trusty Vallejo 'Rattle Can' instead)

More done today (hopefully)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Talking

Very nice.

I've been a bit cautious in selecting some Tamiya kits although as a youngster I'd made a few, and still have a few to make. I have brought the UE carrier and recently the Steyr, but no British tanks etc. Guess I'd been listening to too many adverse comments because this looks really nice. Certainly the additional barrel has helped to lift it, but the fine detail is also quite nice on the original kit.

This of course is greatly helped by your clean build and excellent priming. It really is well done, just enough to allow for paint adhesion without loss of any fine detail. Lovely thin flat coat. Well done.

Look forward to updates. Got me searching ebay etc for one now...as if I didn't have enough unmade stuff

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM
vBench

Thanks Alan, your comments are appreciated

I was the same as you, didn't like the British Tanks much, especialy when compared to the German Tanks, but, I've come to love their look, the chunkiness, and as in the earlier ones, Matilda etc, how old fashioned they looked compared to some of their contempories.

Just finished the Flat Black undercoat BTW, so hoping to get some 'Green' on later
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Hi

If you like undercoating with black have you considered priming in black? I've used Games Workshops Chaos Black in a rattle can on figures and find its really good. I'd have thought it would go on quite well, give you your primer and undercoat in one hit. Because it was made for their figures which in some instances are metal you know it will stick to both. So you'd get your primer and black undercoat in one hit.

I use some of their paint range on figures and find it equally good.

all the best

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmac View Post
Hi

If you like undercoating with black have you considered priming in black? I've used Games Workshops Chaos Black in a rattle can on figures and find its really good. I'd have thought it would go on quite well, give you your primer and undercoat in one hit. Because it was made for their figures which in some instances are metal you know it will stick to both. So you'd get your primer and black undercoat in one hit.

I use some of their paint range on figures and find it equally good.

all the best

Alan

Cheers Alan,

I've seen a few posts mentioning that. I'll get hold of a can and try it on the Churchill.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
vBench

Call me impulsive Alan,

I'v'e just ordered a couple of cans
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Hi

Impulsive....wow, yes you are.

I got two cans from Hobbycraft recently as they do the Games Workshop stuff and there is one near to me. For some reason they were selling them for about 3.50. I brought two, then a few days later thought I'd better stock up at that price, and they'd all gone! I wonder why. Restock was back at the correct price.

Usual stuff with rattle cans, plenty of shaking and I tend to stand mine in a jug of hot water ...not boiling for a while, to build up pressure and help with atomising. Although having said that I've never really had an issue when not heating it up this way, just made sure it was like the song "All shook up" before using.

You might want to check out the other items they do. I got their pin vice for Christmas. A bit expensive but a nice rubber end which doesn't hurt your palm like the other one I've got. Some washes as well.

As I said paint range is good. It's how I got back into modelling actually. My Daughter got some of their Lord of the Rings figures and wanted me to help her out and that was it, the bug bit again and my wallet and cupboards never been the same. Looking at the figures in the shop showcases, they are not what I'm into but boy can those wargamers paint figures !

Alan
Reply With Quote top