Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Custom User Title

A pair of M2's

It has been a while since I joined here and I've never posted any of my work other than whats in my sig. After a conversation with Saul, who encouraged me to post this here, I'm finally posting something.

This project was initially started on another site but It lost steam, what with real life getting in the way and all and I really need to get back to it. It will also help me get back to some other Half Track related work I am very overdue on. I will be building a pair of M2's, They will for the most part be a representation of a vehicle showing early/mid properties and another with mid/late. For the ease of typing I will from here on out refer to each as and early and a late.

While I am thrilled with the DML half track, I have to admit that there's a bit of disappointment with the kit in terms of accuracy. From a technical standpoint there is so much 'wrong' with it for any detail oriented freak like myself but it will allow me to do what I love most, fix it. This thread will mostly be about correcting any inaccuracies along the way and/or super detailing. I will be using a few different after market sets, Eduard and Voyager PE sets as each has some things I like and some things I don't like, I will also be using after market tires/rims by Trakz.

I wasn't happy with the rim detail on the Trakz combat rim, the hub is far too square, the actual rim was much more round, Dragon's rim is quite nice so with a little cutting and sanding, I've got the best of both worlds

From here we move on to the construction of the bogies, or 'suspension basements'. There are a few different styles found on actual vehicles and I will do my best to represent an early style as well as a later style. I'll start with the early style like the ones found on this M4A1. Studying these photos will help one understand all that is missing/wrong with Dragons parts. Notice the square hub just under the return wheel bracket, the casting scar that follows from there and all the way down the face, the missing rivets on the road wheel arms and the casting marks/numbers and what appears like 'ribs' from the main body to the mount. Also notice in this early style there is no sharp square lip around the bottom edge, in fact it's just the opposite, a seemingly ground down chamfer.

The first thing I have done will be done for both early and late, I will make the drainage hole found on the bottom of the angled section of the basement assembly. After drilling the holes I take the same drill bit and wrap some thin copper wire around it a few times.

Then after sliding the wire off, I will cut it with a knife and press each ring flat. This will represent the raised lip around the hole.

While those are drying I have added the large casting scar found on the outside surface of the suspension basement (left basement in picture ), the four missing rivets on the road wheel arms and I have also added rough casting texture to the arm with glue as these things were fairly rough and not smooth like the Dragon parts, and I removed the square lip around the bottom edges with a knife and beveled it back.

After joining the parts, I add the casting ribs with stretched sprue and casting numbers from an Archer set. I have also scratch built the exhaust bracket using plastic sheet, copper wire and bolt details shaved from spare parts, ( it could've been much better though, notes for the next build ). I have glued the exhaust end on in order to help hide the seam when attaching to the pipe.

Now to the springs. The early vehicle would have either been without a idler spring or had a single spring. I have chosen to scratch build a single spring. With some tubing, wire, sheet stock and a bit off the kit part I can make a fairly believable single spring for the rear idler.

Build how you like, like how you build.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Custom User Title

Next the late style suspension basements. They were similar in many ways but are known for the oval cut out on the large arm portion. In the following photos you can see this hole, some different style casting marks and that square lip found on the Dragon part.

Not all of the late style housings I've seen appear to have the 'ribs' seen in these photos, connecting the angled mounting portion to the main body portion so I will be leaving mine off. The casting numbers will also be a bit different in placement as I am using other pictures ( not on the internet ) as my references. These pictures are of an IH M9/M5 series vehicle, the pictures I have here at home are of an M2A1.

Problem is when you make this cut out you expose the part underneath which is just a flat square part and not the Volute suspension springs ( I think that's what they are called ), with a little scratch building I can fool the eye into thinking the two round spring housings are visible through the hole. It's pretty clear at this stage I have made the oval holes quite a bit too large, there is no turning back now but I'm taking notes for the next go 'round and will make those smaller next time.

To make the dual spring for the late vehicle I decide to do just that, make a dual spring. Cutting the part in sections and using to different diameters of tubing I make two springs, an inner and the outer. I will then glue them to each opposing part for fitting purposes. There were also spacers in between the springs, so with some foil, I wrap these around the tube and then cut into halves. Hard to see in the photo but the inner spring is visible, hopefully it will still be visible after paint and weathering.

Here are some photos of the finished parts.

Early

Late

and a comparison with the kit part ( minus the Archer casting numbers ).

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Custom User Title

As the frame and suspension begin to take shape you are directed to choose front bumpers. I will be using the unditching roller for the early and the winch for the late. Looking through all of my references I have never seen a front bumper with the eight bolted brackets like the kit bumper. I will remove these altogether and sand it smooth, this also marks the start of the Voyager PE set. Heres a shot of the bumper as in the kit, those large brackets will need to come off.

I remove those mounting brackets and start on the Voyager brackets, then they are installed and the roller mounted.

You may want to take notice of the casting marks at the end of the unditching roller, here is a photo of the real thing from the same M4A1 and then the kit roller, although hard to see in the photo I did my best to match the marks with what is found in the set, again Archer casting mark set was used for this.

So, after all that, this is where I stand, most of the chassis and accompanying parts assembled and ready to start on the body panels.

Early

Late

If ANYONE has any critiques, corrections, opinions, please feel free to speak up. Don't be shy, I listen to learn friends.

Last edited by camokid; 04-07-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Nice to see you posting here Ken, about time!

So far, so good. Your early springs came out a bit better than mine so I will try again.

the only things I did add to mine, and are barely visible, are the one scale inch nuts which holds the metal track guides to the rubber treads. I did them before gluing the tracks together.

Are you going to show us HOW you slotted the screws with this build?

Guys, Ken slotted the screws on another build while I WASTED my time carefully slicing off the screws from a Tamiya kit. Live and learn. The Tamiya kit was not really sacrificed as it had received a TWS update set which replaces the panels for my Mexican Army build.

Will you correct the text on the winch?

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 04-07-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
Nice to see you posting here Ken, about time!
Well, it's all thanks to your encouragement.

Quote:
the only things I did add to mine, and are barely visible, are the one scale inch nuts which holds the metal track guides to the rubber treads. I did them before gluing the tracks together.
Well, you are just a bit more nuts than I Saul, I bet you even torqued them to the required tension as found in the service manual.

Quote:
Are you going to show us HOW you slotted the screws with this build?
Yes sir, I will make sure to get good and detailed with an explanation and pictures of that.

Thanks for the push.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by camokid View Post
Well, you are just a bit more nuts than I Saul...
Suuuuuurrrrre, this from the guy who SLOTTED the kit domed nuts. My 'lunacy' was simply salami slicing hex rod, gluing, and sanding to a respectable height, about 30 minutes for both tracks...how long did it take to slot the kit's domed bolts? Seriously as I want to try it. I'm just afraid of slipping and scratching the plate.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
vBench

Ken,

In case you don't know where you saved the photos last time, I posted the whole set here:

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3957

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
vBench

Super stuff so far Ken. I really love these vehicles and am enjoying what you are doing so far!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Will you correct the text on the winch?
Hey Saul,

sorry 'bout that but I missed your edit. I haven't decide on the winch yet, if I can clean it up well, I might be able to use the Archer set to fix it. I might just hide it with some stowage like I did to my last one though.

Re those photos, thanks for the link, I believe I have them stored with my own of that same vehicle, that's the one in Connecticut right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Super stuff so far Ken. I really love these vehicles and am enjoying what you are doing so far!
Thanks for the response John, when the builds are done though, can I mail them to you for you to paint ?

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by camokid View Post
... that's the one in Connecticut right?
Indeed it is!

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
Reply With Quote top