Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
vBench

First Bench - PAK 40

Well guys, here it is, my first and possibly last vBench.

I bought Dragon's PAK 40 with HEER gun crew and didn't know what to do with it. It also has to be said that I'm not very skilled at this but I do enjoy trying. I decided I wanted to put into some kind of context. Here I should point out I have no idea whether these weapons were used in the Ardennes in the winter of 44/45 but that's the look I'm going for. It's really just an effort to see if I can do it justice.

Anyway, below are a few photo's of progress so far, long way still to go and I would appreciate any comments.

First one's just the groundwork as it stands so far. Still much to do.

The next few are with the PAK 40 in its approximate position.

The shell casing it stands on is a British 2.95 inch casing dated 1907. This equates to 74.93mm. Just thought it was something a bit different to the norm and a fair use of a hefty lump of brass I've had lying around for years.

The last shot is of my helper, Duke. He's good at finding small items that have fallen into the clutches of the carpet monster. Problem is, he'll pick them up on his tongue and show me, then pop his tongue back in his mouth and swallow.

Well that's it for now, as I said this is my first real attempt at anything like this and I need all the help I can get.

Regards,

Kev.

Nicholas Monsarrat - The Cruel Sea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
vBench

Well I for hope that this isn't your last. I too just recently taken the plung and must say it has helped me alot. There are alot of people on this site from all over the world who love to help out when ever they can. I love it and this has quickly become my favorite site. I like your white wash. It really has that brushed on effect, keep up the good work and I hope you havn't resorted to looking through piles of dog doodoo to find lost parts. Later.

Roy

Last edited by schlichtr; 04-11-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlichtr View Post
Well I for hope that this isn't your last....I hope you havn't resorted to looking through piles of dog doodoo to find lost parts. Later.

Roy

Welcome Kev....I agree with what Roy said.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 AM
vBench

Welcome!
At first glance, your PAK40 looks nice and well paint-chipped... perhaps you could add a bit of dirt!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
vBench

Thanks for the comments. I can confirm I have YET to resort to searching through doggy doodoo, but one can never rule it out.

The idea with the whitewash is that it looks brush painted cos I used a brush. Much dirtying etc to do, I know but the next phase is to finalise the ground work and get that all in place before finishing the PAK 40 and then, hesitantly, having a go at figure painting. Might do some more of the ground work late tonight if I get chance and if I find my Future.

Thanks again,

Kev.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
vBench

Welcome to the site Kevin.

It is looking good so far, just some more groundwork to more blend in the gun.

Cool dog.
Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
vBench

The ground the gun sits on is just the first stage. Next step is to resurface the base with plaster of paris, adding ruts and wheel tracks, then some foliage which would have fallen from the tree. Paint and blend that in adding fallen snow to the ground and to the tree (going to try bicarb method). Then, I will know how much further to weather the gun before starting the task I am dreading, namely the figure painting. Hopefully it will work. But...

The most important thing I tell myself is how much I've enjoyed the build and congratulate myself on the things that I've tried that have worked, right before I throw the whole lot into the bin!

And yes, the dog is cool, unfortunately he knows it! He reads model magazines too (see below.)

Regards,

Kev

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 PM
vBench

I'm back. Haven't had much time to do anything recently but have started on the groundwork. Re textured using 151 putty and then repainted using a mixture of Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya and Vallejo enamels and acrylics and then given a coat of future to give it a wet look. The foliage is taken from a synthetic hanging basket liner. I'll be giving the base a sprinkling of snow next and redoing the snow on the tree.

Sorry for the quality of the picture but afraid I couldn't do anything better at the time.

Hopefully have more progress to show you soon.

Regards,

kev35

Reply With Quote top