Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you think that we need to be politically correct with some of the terms that we use in modelling
Yes 6 30.00%
No 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2006, 01:32 PM
vBench

A while ago, over on Armorama, I saw a thread about the Tamiya Char B1 bis and a guy on there thought that the kit was stupid and blah, blah, blah, but when he refered to Germans, in general, he said "Jerrys"...so, one of the moderators over there told him on the thread to not say that because it might insult one of the German members on the forum....that got me thinking...if he have to be so PC (politically correct), do we have to call "Jerry cans" something else? What about Tommy guns? I know those are Thompson submachine guns and are not really refering to British people, but would such a term insult them? Stuff like that...

Any thoughts guys?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
Not politicaly corret, but political aware mabye?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
vBench

I really don't see why this is an issue...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Somebody somewhere everytime offends something somebody says. Luckily there's still freedom of speech on some parts of world. And words jerry and tommy are part of history, but question is what kind of people still uses em on 21st century?

Cheers Mikko
Old 07-02-2006, 03:58 PM
vBench

I guess the word 'Armorama' sort of explains it right :lol:

Ne seriously, politically correct is one thing, but it can make everything one does extremely cramped. You can force yourself into doing things you wouldn't normally, but someone might get upset, so you do the other, more correct thing ...

Calling Germans in a normal discussion Jerries ... a bit out of line, imho? So politically aware might be a good way to describe the issue, as the_dagger noted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
vBench

One should never insult other persons, but honest mistakes can be made. Sometimes it can be necessary to give the offender a chance to apologize.

Come to think about all the journal reels from WWII when they allways says the "Nazis" intstead of the "Germans".

In the modelling world tanks, airplanes and soldiers are ok. But nudity and dead soldiers seems to be a big tabu?

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
vBench

What's the big deal?
mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
Mike, the deal is that you should know that some things can really offend people.
I remember seeing a diorama over at another webpage some years ago depicting a nazi massacre of jews. Ok, "it's just a model", but still.. I mean, it's really different from finnishing, lets say, a late Panther ausf. G as vihicle from SS Pz. Wiking. I would like to see that building models would me a "sanctuary" from politics, but that whant happen.

If you are aware that you might offend some one, than its eaier to explain to the person what its all about.

// Henrik
Old 07-02-2006, 05:41 PM

It stands to simple courtesy. If there is no reason to use a derogatory term, why?

BTW,
The use of "Tommy" to mean a British soldier goes all the way back to the early 1800s, and is actually short for "Thomas Atkins." The British Army's equivalent of the U.S. "John Doe." Starting in 1815, British Army manuals and regulation books used "Thomas Atkins" as the example name, especially for privates, on most specimen forms. By the time they got through basic training, soldiers had seen the name "Thomas Atkins" a thousand times, and within a few years "Tommy Atkins" or just "Tommy" had been adopted in both military and civilian life as a synonym for "rank and file soldier." Has nothing to do with slang or use in demeaning manner.

The Thompson machine gun, incidentally, was invented by John T. Thompson and John N. Blish. Be thankful it was called a Tommy gun and not a Blish gun. :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 06:52 PM

I don't think so but the only way to tell if refering to German people as a" jerry "would be insulting, would be to ask one. The word Jerry is a abbreviation of the first 3 letters of German anyway.
Reply With Quote top