Old 03-18-2004, 10:09 PM

Howdy All,

Mighty fine sight ya have Gordy! BTW, I really like your name, I guess because my real name is Gordon as well.
To my question.

I'm building a D-Day Sherman, and have been advised to use the Tamiya M4 Sherman, 'Early Production' kit # 190. My plan is to use the Italeri USMC M4 Sherman kit # 6389 wading trunks on the Tammy kit to depict an approx. D+1 Sherman on the beach at Normandy driving past a recently defunct German bunker.
First, would the Tammy kit be the best choice for this. And, second, would the mating of the Italeri 'trunks' work out O.K.?

TIA,

Tread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2004, 11:00 PM

Tread, what are you referring to as "trunks?" You don't mean the things that kind of look like stacks sticking up over the engine covers are you? Were they used on the Shermans at D day? I thought the DD Shermans on D day used the collapsible screen around the hull that allowed them to float.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2004, 02:39 AM

There were some M4s with the deep wading trunks fitted used on D-Day, as shown in a few of the surviving pictures. For tanks landing in the days immediately following, there were still quite a few that had the trunks fitted. I've seen pictures of 2nd AD tanks so equipped.
As for the kits, I don't know if the Italeri trunks would fit the Tamiya M4 since the trunks are supposed to be for an M4A2/3, which had a different hull engine deck than the M4. I haven't seen the Italeri kit, so I don't know for certain, but that is one point to keep in mind.
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 01:23 AM

Treadhead, I looked at the same swap (probably for the same Campaign) but it won't work. The vent grille on the M4A2/A3 for the mid-hull stack has a completely different mount. I believe it's the same reason the stacks won't fit the Italeri M4A1 which, except for the large driver's hatches, is much better fit for a D-Day Sherman than the M4A3. Not that it can't be done if you scratch the mounts, but it won't be a drop in fit
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 05:35 AM
vBench

Hi guys,
I think we are talking about two different kind of vehicle here. The DD Sherman stand for Duplex Drive Sherman and it's the one with the screen all around the vehicle. The wading kit is fixed on standard Sherman.
On the other hand, i have the DD Sherman with lowered screen kit from Resicast on the shelf waiting his turn to be built.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 PM

As I understand it, the first wave of armor was supposed to be DD tanks (with the propellers and raised screens) because they supposedly can "swim" in fron whatever distance they disembarked. Due to the rough seas most of them foundered and swamped. The later waves were loaded with wader trunks Shermies because, in theory, they could get closer to the beaches, roll of the ramp into medium to shallow water and drive along the bottom only needing to keep water out of the engine and exhaust.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 08:30 PM

Tread-

I have been working a D-Day dio for quite some time and maybe have your solution. I purchased the Tamiya kit and the Deep Wading Kit from The Tank Workshop. You can purchase the Wading Kit from VLS.

Also, Jonathan Gawene published a great book titled, "Spearheading D-Day." This informative title gives a good break out of what tanks reached the beach that day.

You can build the dio to represent one of the following tank units: 741st, 743rd, or the 70th.

Yancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2004, 06:16 AM

in terms of US tanks, the units that reached the beaches have been stated,

however the british had more success landing tanks on D-Day, but its far less documented. many RMASG centaurs and sherman DDs were landed, and later in the day and the following days more shermans and cromwells with wading trunks were landed.

cheers

joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 AM

Howdy Fellas,

Many thx for the replies so far, the intel is appreciated.

And (just for the record), I am talking about the D-DAY Sherman, and not the D.D. (Duplex Drive) Sherman.

I have already begun tackling the switch-fit, and as ShermiesRule has already stated the 'Intake' stack is the one requiring a wee bit more work regarding the interface between the stack itself, and the engine deck. But it doesn't really require THAT much work.....
The exhaust stack is quite a bit easier.
Now, after all that work, I'm thinking about only including the wading trunk 'roots', and not the complete stack (the curved upper sections are why I wanted to use the Italeri pieces in the first place). But then, It would be missing the neat 'quick-release' cable system the invented specifically for these tanks, and that would subtract a nice little 'character' item........oh, what to do. ;-)

Tread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 PM

Tread I would like to see the mods you made for the M4 Early. Any pics to be posted either here or Armorama?
Reply With Quote top