View Single Post
  #7  
Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 PM
chadperkins chadperkins is offline
vBench
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nasvhille, TN
Posts: 605
Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Been away so long from modelling I didn't realize I was out of almost everything..... I had to order some Mr. Surfacer and some putty before I can get to work on the major stuff but I have made a bit of progress worth sharing. The front of the hull was a mystery to me as to exactly what it should look like but thanks to some help from you guys and Tom Cockle, I think I've gotten it right. The G hull is needed instead of the H for a couple reasons, the first of which is the front section. This is the G front plate with evergreen added to make it the same thickness as the H plate. Couldn't use the H plate because it is welded to the hull with interlocking welds unlike the G which is just butt welded so this was the easiest solution. Also, the H transmission cover plate is interlock welded instead of just welded along the hull sides. Once put together, I had to fill the gaps on the hull sides where all the front parts are put together. The hull side should just be one solid piece so I filled with CA and sanded before putting on the final drives.

Another issue with the late H is the shape of the hatch rain guards which as you can see are angled on the early models instead of square on the late as shown in the late H kit. I'll deal more with the upper hull later on, just had to put it on for the pics......

The rear of the hull has another difference from the late H requiring the use of the G kit that being the slope on the underside of the rear section which you can see here.

The late H was just flat on the back instead of sloping like the picture. Again, with no putty to speak of, I moved on to do some other random stuff. The barrel is from Griffon and is every bit as good as aber or anyone else's. Goes together the same way with 5 or 6 parts on the muzzle break and it fits perfectly with the kit parts. No real surgery needed.

I put together the sprockets, rear idlers and worked on the cupola for a while. This kit is really remarkably well made with super surface detail (this is my first of these new generation panzer IV's) as you can see. The cupola is really nice in itself.


Next, I thought I'd try out a trick that I learned from Paul Garrity for the exhaust. I rolled some thin brass plate cut to the proper width and diameter and soldered it together. Proceeded to chop up the kit exhaust to remove the brackets and shortened the ends slightly to make the overall width the same as it would have been put together as per the kit instructions. I then sanded down the main kit exhaust section's ends so that I could fit them inside me new cylinder to give me something to glue the ends onto for added strength. I then just sanded around the joint to smooth it out and proceeded to beat it up a bit. The straps that hold it on with conveniently cover the joints between the parts. Great idea which I'll take no credit for but which turned out pretty good imo.


Also put the friuls together (hate that part of a project)...... Had to throw them on to see how it looks. Like a baby tiger!
Reply With Quote top
Users like chadperkins's post!