Thread: Soldering SBS
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
vBench

So, let's start.

(These parts were already soldered together, I pulled them apart as I didn't really have any other PE that would be a good demonstration)

The part I will be working on is a side fender piece from Aber's Panther set. It needs to have a support bracket fitted to the bottom and a small rivet attached to the top.

First, you spread a bit of flux over the area that the part will be soldered on to. The flux helps the solder to flow into the joint and also cleans the metal.

Next, I added the rivet:

Now, after heating my iron up to 700 degrees, I flick it against the solder that is held by the 3 hand tool. You don't want too much solder, or too little. When you flick the solder, it will go "puff" and a bit of white smoke will come up. (If you can see a ball of solder on the iron, it probably needs cleaning. Use a wet sponge and wipe the tip clean. DO not use an abrasive as the tips are specially coated and it will ruin them) It is probably not a good idea to breathe the smoke in either as the solder is lead

Next, using tweezers to hold the rivet in the desired position, Bring the iron to touch the joint. (Most often, if not always, I like to have the parts held together in some way, being tweezers, 3 hand, etchmate, etc. I find it makes the prosses easier) When the iron hits the flux, it will "hiss" and the solder will flow onto the joint. If the solder is not flowing, it pobably means the tip is either dirty, or the iron is not hot enough.

Here is the soldered joint:

After the part has cooled, (about 3-5 sec, depending on how big the part is and how long the iron was in contact with it) use the steel wool to clean up and excess solder.

and here is the soldered rivet:

One tip, if there is a bit of excess solder on the part, you can spread some more flux on and kind of "flood" the solder around. Then it will not be visable when paint is applied, and what is, can be either scraped off, or steel wool will take care of it.

Last edited by tamigawa; 06-16-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top