View Single Post
  #2  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Panzerjaeger's Avatar
Panzerjaeger Panzerjaeger is offline
My Car has Zimmerit
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 890
This is my build of Dragon's 1:35 Elefant, Premium edition. With the exception of some Friul tracks I have on order and maybe a few scratchbuilt details, this will be an out-of-the box build.

The bare bones hull parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2885.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	3717

Since Zimmerit is difficult and I prefer to get it out of the way, that's how I started. I figure it's easier to remove it or mask where detail goes than to work around the detail.

For this particular pattern, the trowel/epoxy paste method wasn't going to give the proper effect, so I decided to use automotive "spot/glazing" putty, an artist's paint knife and a small screwdriver. This putty is far superior to Squadron putty, in my opinion, and is much smoother and easier to work with. It thins with alcohol, so if you need to smooth out your initial application, it's a fairly easy proposition. This stuff is nice enough to work with that you actually have to let it set up a little before working it.

The photo evidence is conflicting in terms of the areas where zimmerit was applied to the Elefant. Johannes and I have corresponded on the matter and while his model (fantastic!) has the full treatment, mine will be the less comprehensive version. This scheme will wrap around the sponsons, but will be omitted on the forward part of the hull.

Masking the turret for zimmerit. I started by masking off the horizontal border. Then I marked the center of the lower edge and drew perpendicular marks for the edge of the first vertical piece of tape. The plan was to work in sections one masking-tape-width wide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2920.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	3718Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2921.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	3719

Getting started on the rear of the turret

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2923.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	3720Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2924.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	3721

An application of putty ready for the screwdriver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2925.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	3722

The turret zimmerit complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2927.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	3724Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2928.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	3725

The rear hull extensions and rear panel had to be installed to the lower hull before the zim' could be applied. In the process, I had some fit issues and gaps that had to be filled (left). Getting started on the lower hull (right).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2926.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	3723Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2946.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	3726

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2947.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	3727Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2949.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	3729

Most of the zimmerit done, including the armored exhaust cover (left). The rear panel. I masked off the larger areas to make things easier later (right).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2948.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	3728Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2951.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	3730

Overall shot of the model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2952.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	3731

Comments and critiques are more than welcome!

Thanks for checking in...
__________________
Andy

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top