PDA

View Full Version : Sturmi

MikkoH
02-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Okay folks. This is my kickoff to Sturmi project.

As I earlier said I'm gomma make finnish sturmi usin dragon early Stug III G SK. Started it today. Make some suspension and yeah that's the boring part of project. Haven't made up my mind yet which version to make. 531-6, -12 and -19 have been on top of the list. MIAG versions with bolted armor. With or without logs is THE question. Not gonna make concrete reinforcements, that much I know.:) Things that I have to make anyway are:

-Box and it's rack on rear deck
-sparewheels on side of fighting comparament(not if I put logs)
-bigger hole on loades shield for DT tank-mg
-move start-crank on rear plate
-replace s-hooks with c-hooks

I still have time to deside cause I can build lower hull Ootb. Only replace those injected muffler shields more scale. Use pe or make by my self from aluminium sheet. Magic tracs go for spares parts cause I'm gonna use friul solid horn tracks(most sturmis had em). Pics to come..:D

Cheers Mikko

P.S. Laz I'm gonna blow your doubts about this project to moon..;) :D :D

lquah
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
P.S. Laz I'm gonna blow your doubts about this project to moon..;) :D :D
Go ahead make my day :D:p Show us some pics :)

Waiting to be blown away! :p ;)

Panzergrenadier
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
We need pictures! :D

RickLawler
02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Locked & Loaded! Sounds like your are ready for some heavy duty action, Mikko!

P.S. I don't doubt you! ;)....like Lawerence does:eek::rolleyes::D

MikkoH
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks Rick!:)

This is in top of my list. Number six "Liisa".

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/skannaa-2.jpg

Three big logs on side and smaller logs slope armour. Three colour camo. Repair paint spots near and around drivers area. And whats most intresting Scull painted(??) on RHS center log!!:D That's very strange on finnish vehicle.;D

RickLawler
02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Lovely Liisa....great choice.

Andreas Larka
02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
531-6, -12 and -19 have been on top of the list. MIAG versions with bolted armor.
Except that -12 is an Alkett vehicle. Still bolted-on armour on the front, but the rear deck is interlocked like on the all welded ones. And it seems like she didn't have the rear box nor the spare wheels moved during the (early) summer of -44.

Liisa sound like a good choice.

lquah
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Mikko

Excellent choice :thumb:

Laz

MikkoH
02-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Except that -12 is an Alkett vehicle. Still bolted-on armour on the front, but the rear deck is interlocked like on the all welded ones. And it seems like she didn't have the rear box nor the spare wheels moved during the (early) summer of -44.

Liisa sound like a good choice.

Hi Andreas. You are right it's alkett. It shouldn't be big operation to converse rear deck interlocked but at this moment I still bet my money on "Liisa". That skull is just too juicy thing to ignore.:D Any idea about those sparewheel racks? Hammered, cut off or left in place and logs pushed through? What colour is that repair paint?

MikkoH
02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Rick and Laz, I agree:D And it's named after girl, unlike Bubi.:P

MikkoH
02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
One BIG problem hit. My compressor broke down. I try if 'I can fix it but if no theres aint gonna be painting a while. I'm unemployed at the moment so no money to spent on new one. Darn. Well I still can do some building.

James Tainton
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
One BIG problem hit. My compressor broke down. I try if 'I can fix it but if no theres aint gonna be painting a while. I'm unemployed at the moment so no money to spent on new one. Darn. Well I still can do some building.

Maybe you can find an adapter to use the air from your auto's tire- :confused:

MikkoH
02-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Maybe you can find an adapter to use the air from your auto's tire- :confused:

My compressor is useful in modelling only one way. It has so much copperwire inside, I never ever have to get wire to make grabhandles etc.:D:(

Have couple of spare tyres and adapter also. Problem is, that inside tyre there's so much condension water that it must affect on paintjob.:( Need some kind of filter to keep water out of airbrush. Hope this is only little time solution and I manage to get new compressor.

Andreas Larka
02-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Any idea about those sparewheel racks? Hammered, cut off or left in place and logs pushed through? What colour is that repair paint?

In the beginning the logs were simply pushed through. The repair paint can be anything. Probably something greenish.

MikkoH
02-11-2008, 03:52 AM
In the beginning the logs were simply pushed through. The repair paint can be anything. Probably something greenish.

Like on Bubi? Btw those bubi pics are only ones I have seen that show logs on side before concrete in place. Others are taken at front. That repair paint looks pretty dark so it must be pretty fresh.

Andreas Larka
02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Like on Bubi?
Yep. Just like on "Baby".

MikkoH
02-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks Andreas.

RickLawler
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
One BIG problem hit. My compressor broke down. I try if 'I can fix it but if no theres aint gonna be painting a while......

Mikko, you know....you could always paint your base color with a spraycan, then handpaint your camo!!!! It might just be a blessing not having your AB, perhaps you can explore and dazzle us with new techniques. :rolleyes:

Well, I can do some building.
But, of course, you can continue the build without delay.....:)

Andreas Larka
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
then handpaint your camo!
Actually, the Finnish three-tone camo is probably best done by hand. So - like Rick said - spraypaint the primer and handpaint the camo!

MikkoH
02-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Rick and Andreas. Seems like you are absolutely right. Who needs an airbrush.. (Meeee!!!):D Well I have to practise my brush painting skills.;)

MikkoH
02-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Andreas!!

Any idea how much Sturmis were unassembled during painting? Wheels, tracks etc taken off? Or were those painted "paint where you can see and reach" style?

How much that rear stowage box was cropped (lowered) during summer modifications?

Andreas Larka
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Or were those painted "paint where you can see and reach" style?
I have no specific knowledge about this, but I do think that that is exactly the way they did it. I don't think that wheels nor tracks were taken off.

How much that rear stowage box was cropped (lowered) during summer modifications?
I would say one plank. Suurin piirtein yhden laudan verran. You can compare shots from the parade in Enso and post war training pics.

MikkoH
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Kai came to same conclusion. So at least hull bottom would be dark yellow and wheels from other side. How about between wheels, red or yellow?

But were those box croppings made in field or in factory when they put concrete armors?

How about gun? elfb or green like in -26? Many german stug show gun in elfb but,but..

Uruk-Hai
02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I think you can forgive me. ;)

After watching Tali-Inhatala I have gotten the urge to model Marjatta but I wonder if there are any wartime photos of this vehicle and also if the pictures on your site Andreas show this very tank as it was during the battle at Kuuterselkä?

Should there boxes, logs or spare wheels on this vehicle?

Kitos!

MikkoH
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Janne! No problem. There's always room for Sturmi talk!:)

Nr. -19 "Marjatta" is good choice also. I also tought that but I desided to do -6.

On Käkelä-Lärka book Suomalaisten rynnäkkötykkien kohtalot there's a pic of -19 driving in Enso and it shows sparewheels on side of superstructure. Is box on rear deck? Only gods(and Andreas our Sturi-God) knows. No logs on Kuutereselkä. Those were put on early july.

Andreas Larka
02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
How about between wheels, red or yellow?
In between the "double" roadwheels? I would say yellow overspray made by the Germans. They painted their vehicles wheels and tracks in place.

But were those box croppings made in field or in factory when they put concrete armors?
I would say in the field.

How about gun? elfb or green like in -26? Many german stug show gun in elfb but,but..
The inner parts of the gun should be in elfenbein. There are wartime photos of that. The green is a Finnish postwar mod.

Andreas Larka
02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I wonder if there are any wartime photos of this vehicle and also if the pictures on your site Andreas show this very tank as it was during the battle at Kuuterselkä?
Like Mikko said, the only wartime photo I have seen is in our book. (The size of a stamp...) "Marjatta" as she is today should not be used for wartime reference.

Moved sparewheels + rear equipment box. No logs.

Kitos!
Two "i"'s in kiitos. Eller "tack" eftersom jag är svenskspråkig.

MikkoH
02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
In between the "double" roadwheels? I would say yellow overspray made by the Germans. They painted their vehicles wheels and tracks in place.

I would say in the field.

The inner parts of the gun should be in elfenbein. There are wartime photos of that. The green is a Finnish postwar mod.

Thank you again Andreas!

I have painted between doublewheels red but after dusting no real colour ain't gonna be seen anyway.:)

So I have to check post war photos and try to take some box measurements.

Painted floor and gun cradle(like in -26) red and rest of interior and gun elfenbein. Ain't much gonna be seen anyway after figures in place.

Yes I have pre painted parts cause I have friends compressor on lend at moment.:) Pics hopeful today.

AfRiKaKoRpS
02-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I think you can forgive me. ;)

After watching Tali-Inhatala I have gotten the urge to model Marjatta but I wonder if there are any wartime photos of this vehicle and also if the pictures on your site Andreas show this very tank as it was during the battle at Kuuterselkä?

Kitos!

Janne, go for it, go for it and join the Dark Side of the Force of Group Build :D

Chris

AfRiKaKoRpS
02-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Pics hopeful today.

Yes, pics pics pics. Look forward to em !!! :)

Chris

Uruk-Hai
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Andreas and Mikko!

Would the Dragon Early Smart Kit be a good starting point for Marjatta? Or am I mistaken?

Things to do?

Add unit numbers in relief on each side.

Move spare wheels to each side.

Reinforcements on each side of the tub as well as spare track holders.

Additional drivers visor.

Replace the MG 34.

Rear equipment box with the guard rail.

Bullet splash guards on the side of the gun.

Have I missed something?

Cheers

MikkoH
02-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Would the Dragon Early Smart Kit be a good starting point for Marjatta? Or am I mistaken? -BEST starting point.

Things to do?

Add unit numbers in relief on each side. YES

Move spare wheels to each side. YES

Reinforcements on each side of the tub as well as spare track holders. NO for Kuutereselkä

Additional drivers visor. NO for Kuutereselkä

Replace the MG 34. YES and enlarge hole in visor

Rear equipment box with the guard rail. YES

Bullet splash guards on the side of the gun. NO for Kuutereselkä

Have I missed something? YES

- Replace S-hooks with C-hooks

Uruk-Hai
02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Soo, Mikko made me do it! :yell:

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showpost.php?p=60379&postcount=7

I would really apreciate some constructive critisism during the build.

Cheers

Andreas Larka
02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
I would really apreciate some constructive critisism during the build.
OK. Will do. Don't mess up the commander's cupola: http://www.andreaslarka.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67

MikkoH
02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok folks. Here's some pics(quick taken baaad quality, sorry).

First my main references.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/P2190021.jpg
History of Finnish Assaultgun battalion

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/P2190023.jpg
Made by our Andreas Lärka. History of finnish Sturms.

MikkoH
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
And some on progress shots. Some pre painting made on wheels. Hull tub painted green and there comes brown and (sand)grey camo over it. Some interior painted. Not much ain't gonna be seen anyway because I plan to put figures. Red isn't really that bad than it shows on pics.:)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/P2190019.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/P2190020.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/MikkoHeikkinen/P2190025.jpg

Uruk-Hai
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks again, and if I could read those books I would most certainly try to get hold of them. But my finnish is limited to "dirty" words. :(

Cheers

AfRiKaKoRpS
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice to see your update Mikko and good to see you are making progress with Sturmi. We gotta catch up after Laura ;)

Chris

MikkoH
02-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Nice to see your update Mikko and good to see you are making progress with Sturmi. We gotta catch up after Laura ;)

Chris

I agree!:D

James Tainton
02-25-2008, 02:53 AM
How about between wheels, red or yellow?

I disagree. From examples of wheels I've seen in various museums, ( I know I know, museum paint jobs can't be trusted) lead me to believe that the inside was left the primer red colour. Some of the examples in the various museums I've seen look to be pretty original on the inside- and they are red. Also I would think that for the painters to take the time and effort to spray inside that middle gap with the base colour does not seem all that reasonable. There may be some base colour over spray but I would think only a minor barely visible dusting. It seems illogical to me that with the tank sitting there the painters would spray down into the gap and then what about the part underneath? That would not get painted, unless they rolled the vehicle forward a little, which I doubt they did.
Just my 2 cents, and the way I do my wheels. That is - I make the inside of the wheels primer colour.

http://panzerfaust.sslpowered.com/planetArmor/StugIII_A/photos/stug-III---058-copy.jpg

Andreas Larka
02-25-2008, 04:35 AM
I disagree. From examples of wheels I've seen in various museums, ( I know I know, museum paint jobs can't be trusted) lead me to believe that the inside was left the primer red colour.
Oh, apparently I didn't express myself clearly on this issue. Sorry!

By "overspray" I meant that the original colour would be red and upon that (in places) there would be yellow "overspray", i.e. "spraydust" not actually meant to be there.

I also don't think that the painters would take the extra time to deliberately spray down in between the wheels.

Taking into consideration that the insides of the wheelrims would be worn blank and shiny and the actual gap between the wheel would be red + possibly yellow + grimy & muddy, the wheels are quite a piece of work on their own...

MikkoH
02-25-2008, 07:19 AM
I planned to leave em red so no overspray. Ain't much gonna be seen anyway. Dust inside and worn paint on rims.

MikkoH
03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Andreaass!!! Saw today pic(Jatkosodan Historia 5) of -8(?) crossing river during lapland war. It has a normal size box?! So not all had cropped box??!! What the h......

Andreas Larka
03-15-2008, 01:54 AM
What the h......
I nippa-nappa remember seeing the pic. Taken from behind on some kind of ferry? Don't remember the size of the box.

I guess the most important modifications were made first and the less important ones when time permitted. That's why we have to check our references... ;-)

MikkoH
03-15-2008, 02:59 AM
I nippa-nappa remember seeing the pic. Taken from behind on some kind of ferry? Don't remember the size of the box.

I guess the most important modifications were made first and the less important ones when time permitted. That's why we have to check our references... ;-)

Yeah. That's the one. On page 383. It could also be -6 cause pic ain't that good quality..