PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya kits vol.2

Panzergrenadier
12-26-2006, 03:41 PM
So as in the other thread, I would like to know a little about some Tamiya kits that I am thinking of getting.

Tamiya T-34 (I saw at least two different versions)--how is the fit and accuracy? How do they compare to the Zvezda kits?

Siim

schlichtr
12-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Tamiya vs Zvezda, Accuracy goes to Zvezda. Ease of build goes to Tamiya. In the end they both look like T-34s. Tamiya skimped on the accuracy issue due to the fact that they designed this kit as a motorization kit and had to make room for the motors to fit so they increased the upper hull angles a bit. Made them a bit to steep. I think that there are some dimension issues with their 43 turret also not positive though. On the contrary their 42 turret is supposed to be very good. I still think that it is a very good model despite its age and builds very easily, quickly (probably one of the best starter kits out there in relations to ease of build). The front towing eyes mounted on the front where the lower and uper hull meet need to be deleted as these were put on at Aberdeen by the U.S. and were not on Russian T-34s. And a good PE set will go along ways also. I've never built the Zvezda kit but do have it and have read that until Dragon came out with their new T-34s that it was the best around in terms of accuracy.

Roy

Panzergrenadier
12-27-2006, 01:17 PM

I will pass the Tamiya kits.

Siim

MikkoH
12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Tamiyas "Sotkas" aka T-34s look like T-34s when build. Easy to build. Not so accurate(at least mod.43 turret is underscale) and those holes under sponsons are annoying(original sin of tamiya). But if you pass you pass.:)

Cheers Mikko

Panzergrenadier
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Well I have a Maquette T-34 so I don't need another T-34 that much. I was just thinking of an alternative for a Zvezda T-34.

Siim