PDA

View Full Version : Basing and casing a dio' scene!

paulyrichard
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
When you guys use picture frames to create a diorama scene, what do you use as a cover to prevent dust?! I always feel the need for a display case, but I find these things limitin' for creatin' a dio' (as regards size), and quite expensive! :(

Panzergrenadier
08-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I have used picture frames and I haven't covered them. But recently I saw that the shelfs are gathering more dust than usual. I went to the hobby shop and there were display cases from Revell. They have a plastic bottom and a plexiglass top part. I didn't remember the price but Revell in Europe is usually reasonably priced.
I was thinking of using only the upper part and putting on the picture frame but the dimensions are a little off. For example a picture frame is 20x15 (cm) and the display case is 27x20 (cm). :( I looked at the package and there were pictures of other sized cases. Maybe they have the right sized ones, I have to look it up.

Siim

paulyrichard
08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's the problem, the dimensions are always gonna' be off! It wouldn't look that professional either, with somethin' that isn't custom fitted. The only solution is, is to look into buyin' a sealed glass fronted cabinet!

Panzergrenadier
08-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Well there is always the possibility of making the dio on the disply case bottom. The edges that remain vible could be given for example a coat of clear brown to make it look more attractive. I am thinking of doing this with my next dio.
With cabinets one has to have room and every time you open the door dust gets in. I think vision would be restricted too. And I bet a 1:35 Leopold would not fit into a cabinet very well. :lol:

Siim

RC_Hill
08-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, curios are rather expensive and actually storing a finished model is a problem if you don't have something like it :-/ I have shelving and such in my room and in my loft area, but nothing that's truely managble enough to add a curio! My shelves are already full of books and logs for school and work. I have space, but I just don't have the right kind of space :( Hopefully, in the new house, I'll have a curio or something modified for the shelving of my WIC...

And plaques are just as good, if not better to use, than picture frames...with a picture frame, there's that inset that can be created, but plaques (from a trophy shop or something) do work nicely :)

There is always the possibility of using like a picture frame as a base and building up like a glass box of sorts? ...I dunno about where you guys live, but at a local craft store here, they'll cut glass for you and you could use that as the walls of the box and you could maybe use some wooden 'support frames' for the edges...just a thought...that might be the best and cheapest way to do it...

~RC

brokeneagle
08-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I usually have a base made of craft wood and add an edge myself, then stain. I have a perspex case made for the base which is usually pretty cheap. It tends to work out less than half of the cost of the actual model kit as a rule. I also have a cabnet for small stuff.

08-15-2006, 09:14 AM
This may sound terrible, but I seal the finished kits up, base and all, in tupperware, and store them! No dust no injuries!

Stuke Sowle
08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I sprung for a glass covered shelf last year and haven't finished a model since. :(

However, if you dig around for a while and are patient you should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

RC_Hill
08-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Sticky@Aug 15 2006, 07:14 AM
This may sound terrible, but I seal the finished kits up, base and all, in tupperware, and store them! No dust no injuries!
But how can you then show your awesome work? :o

~RC